Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

I recently picked up my MY18 Osmium Grey T4 from the previous owner, i'm in love with this car and can't wait to drive it again, i left it parked at my office's garage last friday, march 13th.
Thing is... with the CoViD-19 quarentine and social distancing that we are going through i'm working from home and don't have access to the car.
My first thought was to turn the car on via the mobile app + On Call, but Volvo is having a hard time activating my subscription, as i wonder that they might be currently short-staffed with all that is going on.

How long will the batteries last (or at least be reparable) with the car stopped, without turning the engine on at all?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think I would get worried after one month or so without engine starting. If that's 1-2 years old car then the battery should be in a good condition.

And you can start the engine remotely via Volvo On Call? Wow. I can only preheat the car but that's done electrically, so for me that's something I wouldn't do with my car stationary for a longer time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I would get worried after one month or so without engine starting. If that's 1-2 years old car then the battery should be in a good condition.

And you can start the engine remotely via Volvo On Call? Wow. I can only preheat the car but that's done electrically, so for me that's something I wouldn't do with my car stationary for a longer time.
Thank you for replying, if 1 month is safe then i think that i shouldn't worry about it

TBH i'm basing myself on the demo present in the On Call app for android, where i see there that it is possible to turn the engine on for a given number of minutes, is that not the case with the V40?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thank you for replying, if 1 month is safe then i think that i shouldn't worry about it

TBH i'm basing myself on the demo present in the On Call app for android, where i see there that it is possible to turn the engine on for a given number of minutes, is that not the case with the V40?
I don't know, it might be possible for your V40. My V40 is T5 MY2016, geartronic with electric engine heater but I can't start the engine remotely.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey!

My first thought was to turn the car on via the mobile app + On Call, but Volvo is having a hard time activating my subscription, as i wonder that they might be currently short-staffed with all that is going on.
On Call may need you to enter a code in the car even if Volvo manage to activate it, if I'm remembering correctly.
Mine can't start the engine, but that feature might be country specific?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why would you like to start your car when you're not there? I don't get it... o_O
The idea is to cycle fluids and charge the batteries a little, not a great deal but would be a lot better than doing nothing :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know, it might be possible for your V40. My V40 is T5 MY2016, geartronic with electric engine heater but I can't start the engine remotely.
On Call may need you to enter a code in the car even if Volvo manage to activate it, if I'm remembering correctly.
Mine can't start the engine, but that feature might be country specific?
I just realized that the demo is based on the MY20 XC60, So yeah, I'm pretty sure now that this is not available on the v40, even if i had access to the car remotely...

Have any of you had a bad experience with leaving the car parked for a long time?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Have any of you had a bad experience with leaving the car parked for a long time?
A couple of times I left my car at airport parking for 14-16 days and then I started the engine without any problems. I think you worry too much about that. Plus that is why they invented jumper cables :LOL:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Starting a cold car and running it for a period will do more long term damage. It will take some time to get the battery back to where it was before the cold start, let alone improve its capacity. Then you are moving cold oil and excess fuel around the engine. Best to run it up to temperature by driving it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A couple of times I left my car at airport parking for 14-16 days and then I started the engine without any problems. I think you worry too much about that. Plus that is why they invented jumper cables :LOL:
Starting a cold car and running it for a period will do more long term damage. It will take some time to get the battery back to where it was before the cold start, let alone improve its capacity. Then you are moving cold oil and excess fuel around the engine. Best to run it up to temperature by driving it.
Thank you very much!!! Despite not being a brand new car, it's a new toy for me, it's natural to be protective of it for the first few months hehe

Also, i can't argue with OldEngineer's explanation and i completely forgot about the existence of jumper cables :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thank you very much!!! Despite not being a brand new car, it's a new toy for me, it's natural to be protective of it for the first few months hehe
Believe me, I know how you feel. I have my second V40 for 6 months now and I am still protective as it was my own baby :D I enjoy every moment when I'm driving it :cool:

·
Registered
192 Posts
The idea is to cycle fluids and charge the batteries a little, not a great deal but would be a lot better than doing nothing :(
You don't charge your battery a lot when you're not driving the car. It takes more power from the battery to start the car!
If you do this several times, your battery will be dead.
Besides that, the engine and its fluids won't get warm, so this is a very bad idea.

·
Registered
616 Posts
In excess of 6 months will be fine if you are not fannying around with it.

Some new cars are stored that way for longer than that.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I didn't use my car for almost 3 weeks, car started up no problem. However, start stop was not avaliable for a LONG time, I had to drive almost 1 hour (at speed, 40-70mph), before it was avaliable again. It was a 200 mile round trip drive. Oh, and I was dropping off some rice (5kg), eggs (24), and some noodles to a friend who is working for the NHS, who could not get any food from supermarkets as by the time they got there, it was all empty :(....

Yes and an excuse to drive the V40 (T3) on country / twisty roads, and on the return leg, I purposedly started when the sun was just setting, to once again use the wonderful LED headlights, hi-beams are wow!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts