Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new here.
I am working on a V40 that belongs to my dad. He had the issue that the stop start stopped functioning. I had read that the main battery going flat could cause that.
I removed that battery and charged it, and then put it back in.
The voltage of the battery went up from about 12.3 to 13.0V
However, following reinstalling the battery to the car, the error 'Steering lock try again' (or very similar) came up.
We could not get the car to start, no matter what we tried. My dad never saw this error before. The steering was locked, and would not easily unlock.
I took the battery out again and looked to see if anything was wrong, but couldn't find anything.
I connected it again, and observed the same error.

I did not reset the BMS, I just discovered that procedure.

Does anyone familiar with the cars have any recommendations?
I will try the BMS reset procedure, but if that fails to fix the problem I don't have any good ideas. The battery seems to have enough charge, but the starter motor does nothing and the steering lock stays on.
The car is a 2013 V40 SE LUX NAV T4 Auto. It is a low mileage car for its age, and the battery seems to be the original.
I will be very grateful for any advice.
Cheers, Tom

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't know of a way around that, but can only suggest you check for fault codes if you have diagnostic equipment, and try clearing any that are present. You could also try repeating several on/off ignition cycles to see if that self-clears any codes for a fault that is no longer present, or leaving the car locked overnight to allow the ECUs to enter sleep mode and reset.

On the battery however, there is no need to remove it from the car to charge. Just connect the negative charger lead to a suitable earthing point on the chassis away from the battery. It is only connecting it directly to the battery negative terminal that upsets the BMS, as it bypasses the shunt that monitors the battery condition.

If you do need to remove the battery, the Volvo procedure in Vida shows that the key must be in the ignition slot and first stage ignition on (a single short push on the start button, less than 2 seconds, without touching the pedals) before disconnecting the battery, and again the key in the slot (or present in the car if you have keyless start) when reconnecting. Presumably that is so the steering lock is disengaged before removing power, and possibly also to prevent the possibility of the alarm triggering.

Stop/Start can be disabled more often than it works. There are tens of reasons shown in the handbook why the car will disable it in various conditions. Having removed or re-charged the battery, it may need the car to be left locked and parked for 6-8 hours to allow the system to recalibrate. You can also find an indication of the reason why it is disabled in the My Car menus when it isn't working.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello again. The local mechanic my dad uses had the car for several days, but could get nowhere with it. He didn't charge, thank goodness. The errors 'Steering lock try again' and 'Put car in P' still come up when attempting to start. [The car is in P, and it is impossible to move the knob.]
Is there any way to get hold of a DICE or VCX tool quickly? If I could borrow / rent one that would be great. I am in Godalming, Surrey.
I downloaded and installed the VIDA software on my laptop. It appears to be working properly, but I can't do much with it without the tool I suppose. I have a K+DCAN usb interface (for Mini, BMW, INPA), a cheap OBD2 scan tool, a CDP+ (that didn't help so far), and a Creator C310+ (BMW Mini). Does anyone know if the K+DCAN can do anything in conjunction with VIDA?
I think I will have to try to remove the steering lock and see if that can solve the problem.
I will be very grateful for any advice. Tom

·
Registered
240 Posts
Tom, although you sent me a PM I'll reply here so everyone can see what I've said as it might inform other replies.

You might be better trying the Volvo Owners Club forums at Volvo Forums - Powered by vBulletin as I think they are more likely to have a user with VIDA who might be in your area. You could also try the VIDA DiCE owners FB group:

Failing that, any decent garage with diagnostic equipment should be able to read and clear fault codes, which might be all that is needed, fingers crossed.

Otherwise you need a Volvo specific all systems code reader. iCarSoft make one, and the Launch ThinkDiag or Autel AP200 are also reasonably priced for a single make tool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts