Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a samsung S2 which I intend connecting via bluetooth for phone/music/instructions from the tomtom app. I am assuming that I would only be able to hear tomtom instructions when the entertainment system is set to "bluetooth"? So if I were listening to the radio the tomtom instructions would not over-ride it?

If I have got this right, is there a work-around? For example can the bluetooth be disabled on the phone for media independently (i.e. not phone calls) so that the instructions could be heard over the phone's speaker? I have considered an internet radio app, but I find the data-signal is not normally strong enough to support decent streaming while driving.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Depends on the phone and the app - I have Nokia Drive on my Windows Phone 8 handset, and this connects via Blue Tooth for hands free. I have to be on Blue Tooth on the car audio to hear the directions etc. from the phone, so if I have the radio or USB playback on, the directions to not interrupt. I'll be honest, if I use the phone for sat nav I turn blue tooth off.

Some apps may let you choose to route audio via the phones speaker, and not over Blue Tooth - I cannot do that.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I was poking around in the bluetooth menus the other day and I'm pretty certain I saw the option to select/unselect Phone and or Multimedia separately whilst my phone is connected. Can't remember where it was exactly but I think I pressed the steering thumbwheel in when the 'Connected to .......' phone message was being displayed (i.e in the media/bluetooth menu) I check and confirm later.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I get the car I will have a good 'play' and report back. In the meantime I did have a route around in the play store last night and found a radio app that doesn't use internet steaming and is compatible with bluetooth - Spirit FM. This may be a potential solution, but I would need to test it is compatible with Volvo's version of bluetooth. Again, I will check and report back.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I was poking around in the bluetooth menus the other day and I'm pretty certain I saw the option to select/unselect Phone and or Multimedia separately whilst my phone is connected. Can't remember where it was exactly but I think I pressed the steering thumbwheel in when the 'Connected to .......' phone message was being displayed (i.e in the media/bluetooth menu) I check and confirm later.
Sorry, it wasn't in there. I've no idea how I got to it now but it was definitely an option to select either or both audio methods somewhere. Think I'll RTFM later.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, it wasn't in there. I've no idea how I got to it now but it was definitely an option to select either or both audio methods somewhere. Think I'll RTFM later.
Perhaps it was on the phone rather than the car? With my bluetooth visor set you can select either phone, media or both in the bluetooth settings.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Perhaps it was on the phone rather than the car? With my bluetooth visor set you can select either phone, media or both in the bluetooth settings.
Indeed it is - 2 checkboxes : Phone Audio and Media Audio.

Doh!!:blush:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to finish this thread off in case others want an answer, it definitely is possible to turn the media streaming off (on the S2 at least) just as Cueba11 said. This means phone calls are still routed to the Bluetooth but the Tomtom (or other on-phone satnav) instructions use the phone's speakers. You can of course then listen to the car's radio as normal.

The radio app I found does allow play over Bluetooth but ONLY if you root/jailbreak the S2. Not something I wanted to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts