Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all , i got a 99 reg v40 good old girl she is , just snapped the bonnet cable week before test due ...is it a mot failure?? i have modded it so you can open bonnet from outsde ... also cheapest cable i seen on ebay is 50 quid ?? anyone know anywhere cheaper..thanks all ..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Bike cable and a bit of tweaking - a few quid. Sorry, can't remember the length. We found the fiddly bit was inside the car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
To expand on my previous answer: unless the outer sheath is damaged, replace the wire inside the cable. Either buy a repair kit - about £10 in the UK, or just a wire cable and possibly a clamp if that’s needed, which is cheaper. Slide the old cable out from the sheath for comparison and sizing before purchase. Lubricate the new one before threading it through, only trim it once you have it in place and clamped. Make sure the bonnet mechanism is freed off and re-greased. It’s a fairly simple job, would be easy for a mechanic if you find it difficult.

·
Registered
96 Posts
These posts were about the original V40 1996-2004. I had found a video on Youtube which showed how to open it. I didn't bookmark it, but try a search there - even if it's the newer car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts