Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ho,

I just went to fill up the washer fluid in my V40 and the bonnet will only
open six inches. There appears to be a second catch at the back of the bonnet near the windscreen and this is preventing it opening.

Does anyone now hoe to get around this?

thanks

jc

·
Registered
718 Posts
The catch at the back of the bonnet is released as the bonnet lifts. There is no release mechanism as such, just a kind of ramp that the catch slides up and back as the bonnet is raised. If you still cannot lift the bonnet, then you could try using a long cane to push the catch back, by pushing it right. It can just be seen at the middle back of the bonnet when the bonnet is lifted a couple of inches.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the same problem. I can locate the hook and clasp at the rear near the windscreen but can't lever the hook out of the way for love or money. Trying the release inside the car doesn't do anything(I think this just pops the locks at the front end). This seems bloody ridiculous to me, I need to put washer fluid in and can't. Is this a fault or a design feature?? I'm going to ask a mechanic to disable the hook and clasp at the rear, I assume the front locks will be sufficient.

·
Registered
29 Posts
As per the original poster, releasing the catch in the footwell, followed by the catch at the front of the bonnet only lets it lift about 15 cm. There is an additional catch at the rear near the windscreen which in my case doesn't release. I can see it but can't force the hook to disengage despite applying as much pressure as I can using a stick.

·
Registered
191 Posts
As per the original poster, releasing the catch in the footwell, followed by the catch at the front of the bonnet only lets it lift about 15 cm. There is an additional catch at the rear near the windscreen which in my case doesn't release. I can see it but can't force the hook to disengage despite applying as much pressure as I can using a stick.
Don't touch that catch! It's for the pedestrian airbag. Also the airbag is there so seeing that off will be costly... I suspect your problem is with the gas strut

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Richard, that catch at the rear is definitely preventing the bonnet from lifting and I do recall when my wife originally picked up the car there was a similar issue in refilling the water fluid and the guys at the Volvo workshop came out with a crowbar to dislodge the catch!!! I can see that the hook is engaged with the catch preventing the upward movement; it looks like a purely mechanical piece of kit so how does that relate to the pedestrian airbag???If its the gas struts surely exerting strong upward pressure would release it?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Richard, that catch at the rear is definitely preventing the bonnet from lifting and I do recall when my wife originally picked up the car there was a similar issue in refilling the water fluid and the guys at the Volvo workshop came out with a crowbar to dislodge the catch!!! I can see that the hook is engaged with the catch preventing the upward movement; it looks like a purely mechanical piece of kit so how does that relate to the pedestrian airbag???If its the gas struts surely exerting strong upward pressure would release it?
Can you photograph it?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Volvo dealer agreed to look at it free of charge (its out of warranty but problem was there previously) so I'll update on the diagnosis and prognosis for the benefit of the forum since it appeared to have happened to at least one other owner.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sometimes find with ours the rear catch does not release first time but by lowering the bonnet back down slightly and then back up it releases.

Ed875

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can't seem to upload pictures but wife took it to dealer today and was fixed in minutes; next time you open your bonnet, have a look at the hook and clasp at the rear of the engine bay. The hook on the bonnet locks into a clasp on the main frame; the latter wasn't correctly positioned so just had to bend it slightly to allow the hook to disengage.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hi all, on Volvo V40, when bonnet is opened its not indicating on dashboard, any suggestions please.
I'm guessing someone has bypassed the switch. They are prone to failing, and when they do the alarm sounds, and that causes the battery to go flat. I think when I got a quote from Volvo to replace mine the cost was about £200 most of which was labour for taking the front bumper off

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm guessing someone has bypassed the switch. They are prone to failing, and when they do the alarm sounds, and that causes the battery to go flat. I think when I got a quote from Volvo to replace mine the cost was about £200 most of which was labour for taking the front bumper off
Thank you, it was fine before service, after servicing noticed bonnet opened warning on dashboard, took back, they did something, now its not indicating when opened. I will take it back.

Luckily no alarm yet, when connected to switch, I think the warning will come back. Do you think its just the sensor gone? I can see the bonnet mechanism is woking as expected.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The switch is attached to the bonnet mechanism, but isn't part of the mechanical system that hold it shut.

I'd guess the switch developed a fault and stuck in the open position and the garage just bypassed it rather than fixing it. Did you take it to a Volvo dealer? I'm guessing not as they would be more likely to try and stiff you for a new one whereas a local garage might worry about the fact they broke it and not want to pay for the new one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.