Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to say thanks to you all who've posted here about the V40 - I read your comments several times while making my decision.

I'm a lease-car driver replacing a Qashqai in September. I've liked the Qashqai (mine's the economical 1.5 diesel, and the n-tec spec comes with LOTS of extras) but I don't need anything so big in future and also wanted to give myself something even more enjoyable.

So I've spent months looking over options, and have taken 8 or 10 test drives while looking for a car that makes me smile to drive it. I think my favourite for looks is still the Mazda 3 but it wasn't too much fun to drive and the economy isn't great (in the spec I wanted). My heart was also set on an Alfa Giulietta for a long while (and I still would like to own an Alfa some day) but the one that really made me happy was the V40. These things are so personal, so what I like will be horrible to the next guy, but to me it seems to take on the mission of the Golfs and A3s and somehow do it with the character that they've lost along the way. I love many VWs and Audis (A1 & A4? Brilliant) but those two cars are among the dullest in the ranges, even though they're good to drive.

Placed the order for the V40 3 days ago, can't wait for September delivery!

D3 SE Nav
Misty Blue
Blond Upholstery (yes, I am an 80's child, will try to resist rolling up jacket sleeves Miami Vice style)
  • Winter Illumination Pack
  • Driver Support Pack
  • Dark Tinted Windows
  • TFT Display
  • Autodimming Rear-View Mirror
  • Park Assist Pilot
  • Flexible Load Floor

I'm pretty ruthless with gadgets normally (don't like useless bling) but the way the TFT display integrates with the various driver's information stuff (ACC, etc) was impressive and useful, and also something I'd not seen done so well on any competitor.

Really looking forward to this move now, and my Qashqai suddenly feels old! And my Dad (who passed away in 1997) drove a succession of what felt to me like dull boxy Volvos, finishing up with an 850. I learnt to drive in one of them but never for a moment thought I'd be counting the seconds until a Volvo was mine... I think this is the point I realise I'm officially middle-aged and just get on and enjoy it ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks like you had the same difficulty as me in making a choice. I too am a lease car driver and looked at many cars. Finally settled on the V40 Rdesign D3 lux. It was a tough choice for me between the Golf 7 and the V40, but I think I made the right decision. Will have to wait until October to get it though. I popped into the showroom again today, I cant seem to stay out of there! And that 5 cylinder engine sounds lovely!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm in the same situation - my old man was very much a Volvo driver, 121, 145, 164, 264.
Now counting down till my own arrives...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Placed my order for R Design in rebel blue with cruise control today. So excited!! Have been told I should get it before the end of October. Managed to get a fairly good deal by shopping around several Volvo dealerships.

Was looking into the Juke but I can't believe how much better the v40 drove. Best feel of a car I've ever had!

Did I mention that I can't wait!!! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Placed my order for R Design in rebel blue with cruise control today. So excited!! Have been told I should get it before the end of October. Managed to get a fairly good deal by shopping around several Volvo dealerships.

Was looking into the Juke but I can't believe how much better the v40 drove. Best feel of a car I've ever had!

Did I mention that I can't wait!!! :D
Understand what your saying, in the mid seventies I bought a 145 Volvo estate plain by today's standard, but what a car, comfortable as had to drive all over the country, always arrived safely and no back ache, now all these years later I am buying another Volvo V40 CC Lux first time since then. I think your Dad was a wise man.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1,500 miles into it; it's great.

Comfortable, well zippy enough for me (glad I went D3) and the way the ACC integrates with the other Driver Support Pack stuff is a genuine game changer for me. I've never felt so un-tired after long journeys in any car I've owned.

MPG was a little disappointing at first but it's just the engine running in I think. Today's 250 miles to Prestwick and back came in at 50 on the nose, about 10% under what I got in the Qashqai.

I took the kids to Center Parcs by Nottingham last week (A1 down, M6 back). It was a real pleasure to drive, and the blond upholstery seems to have survived them :)

I think I'll find it hard to stick to the mileage I leased it for this year... I'll make up for it later, it's just so enjoyable to get behind the wheel.

Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts