Volvo V40 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can you all, please, share some mileage for front and rear brake pads till their wear?
My car is only at 15000km(9300 miles), but I see that the pads(both, front and rear) are noticeable too much worn out and will not last long as I expect. I also have a lot of experience with my old cars, but maybe these one are the "fastest" on wearing. Is this a new trick of manufacturers to earn more money from service and consumables?...
Also, I saw that ATE claims that their product line "ATE Ceramic" pads are more reliable and will last longer. Do someone has an experience with them?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Can you all, please, share some mileage for front and rear brake pads till their wear?
My car is only at 15000km(9300 miles), but I see that the pads(both, front and rear) are noticeable too much worn out and will not last long as I expect. I also have a lot of experience with my old cars, but maybe these one are the "fastest" on wearing. Is this a new trick of manufacturers to earn more money from service and consumables?...
Also, I saw that ATE claims that their product line "ATE Ceramic" pads are more reliable and will last longer. Do someone has an experience with them?

I replaced the front discs and pads just over 45000 miles. The rears are still at 50% of the expected life (based on wear thickness)

Can't help about the ceramic pads I'm afraid

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just changed my rear pads on my own.
No issues - i winded the piston back in with the special tool, fitted the new pads, put the caliper back in and that little metal thing after tightening the screws.
Went for a test drive. Brakes are working fine, however handbrake barely works plus I have to lift it up to the highest position and it is still not perfect.
Any ideas? Old pads had only 2-3mm left, so after putting the fresh ones, I would expect to be very tight and not necessarily in the highest position.
Thanks for your urgent response.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Just changed my rear pads on my own.
No issues - i winded the piston back in with the special tool, fitted the new pads, put the caliper back in and that little metal thing after tightening the screws.
Went for a test drive. Brakes are working fine, however handbrake barely works plus I have to lift it up to the highest position and it is still not perfect.
Any ideas? Old pads had only 2-3mm left, so after putting the fresh ones, I would expect to be very tight and not necessarily in the highest position.
Thanks for your urgent response.

Has your handbrake been adjusted during service at any time? If so, the cable probably needs adjusting (just like adjusting the brake cable tension on a bike). There is a removable panel on the LHS of the centre console near the handbrake that allows some access to the threaded adjuster on the end of the cable where it attaches to the handbrake. It's the final step in the VIDA instructions for replacing the rear discs (I was lucky when I did mine that the cable had not been adjusted or stretched too much before I replaced the discs).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Has your handbrake been adjusted during service at any time? If so, the cable probably needs adjusting (just like adjusting the brake cable tension on a bike). There is a removable panel on the LHS of the centre console near the handbrake that allows some access to the threaded adjuster on the end of the cable where it attaches to the handbrake. It's the final step in the VIDA instructions for replacing the rear discs (I was lucky when I did mine that the cable had not been adjusted or stretched too much before I replaced the discs).
I have no idea if the hand break has been adjusted.
It might have been, since it was working perfectly.
I need to find that spot from where I can adjust the handbreak.
I will check it ... Many thanks.

Is there any possibility that the system must be bled after the replace of the rear pads?

PS:
Now that I am thinking better,
if the handbrake was tightened by the Volvo mechanics as the rear pads were worn, doesn't it mean that now that new thick pads are in, the handbreak would work from lower points?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I have no idea if the hand break has been adjusted.
It might have been, since it was working perfectly.
I need to find that spot from where I can adjust the handbreak.
I will check it ... Many thanks.

Is there any possibility that the system must be bled after the replace of the rear pads?
Changing the pads shouldn't need the brakes to be bled.
Did you pump the brake pedal a few times first before engaging the handbrake? It's normally required after winding back the adjusters and pistons as the pads will be at their maximum distance away from the disc. Pumping the brake pedal sets the pistons and pads to their normal operating distance from the disc, and then engaging the handbrake with the pedal pressed sets the adjusters in the pistons.

If you put the handbrake on without pressing the pedal first you can end up with the adjusters going to the end of their travel without being able to contact the disc sufficiently. You might need to wind back the pistons and adjusters again to reset it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thank you all.
I bought the correct tool, pushed the pistons all the way in, put everything back in place, pumped the pedal 3-4 times and then tried the handbrake.
Everything works perfectly, as before!!
:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
@Buzby: with your new 2018 V40 did you get the 278 or 300mm front discs? In case of 300mm version did you noticed any different behaviour regarding your "old" V40 with swapped discs?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
@Buzby: with your new 2018 V40 did you get the 278 or 300mm front discs? In case of 300mm version did you noticed any different behaviour regarding your "old" V40 with swapped discs?
Back to 278mm discs on the new one - I put a new set of 278mm discs and pads and the original caliper brackets back on before I traded my old car in, so I can put them on the new one when the current pads need replacing.

The new car is a R Design Pro which comes with 18" wheels as standard, so the 278mm discs look a little bit silly inside those big wheels...

·
Registered
70 Posts

I replaced the front discs and pads just over 45000 miles. The rears are still at 50% of the expected life (based on wear thickness)

Can't help about the ceramic pads I'm afraid
Hi Tony, Was that the first set of pads ? I have just had to replace all 4 discs and pads at 40000 miles. I bought the car 12 months ago at 28000 miles, so I assume it was on the original pads. My concern is that while replacing pads every 40000 miles is ok, I'm not too happy about having to replace discs every time too. For info, I was charged £410 at a local, trusted garage. Pads were down to 2mm and 1.5mm and discs were average 1mm above the limit.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hi Tony, Was that the first set of pads ? I have just had to replace all 4 discs and pads at 40000 miles. I bought the car 12 months ago at 28000 miles, so I assume it was on the original pads. My concern is that while replacing pads every 40000 miles is ok, I'm not too happy about having to replace discs every time too. For info, I was charged £410 at a local, trusted garage. Pads were down to 2mm and 1.5mm and discs were average 1mm above the limit.

I'd say 40000 miles is about average for the life of a set of discs. Depending on how hard you are on the brakes, you might even need 2 sets of pads in 40000 miles too. Ceramic pads might last longer and produce less dust, but they transfer more heat into the braking system (which would normally be lost in the particles coming off the pad) and can increase wear on the discs - there's no such thing as a free lunch. They also take longer to reach working temperature than standard pads, so in cold weather the braking performance will be worse, and the reduced heat dissipation into the brake fluid can cause fade in hot weather.

·
Registered
389 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'd say 40000 miles is about average for the life of a set of discs. Depending on how hard you are on the brakes, you might even need 2 sets of pads in 40000 miles too.
I must be really light on my brakes! To be fair, I do a lot of motorway miles. I'm still on my original discs and pads on the front at 59,000 miles. I had to change my rear pads at 47,000 miles. 3 of the 4 pads still had over 5mm on them, but one had worn to about 2mm. I put that down to build up of muck on the carriers, they were pretty caked up. I think if I'd cleaned the brakes up sooner, I would've gotten many more miles out of them.

On my last car (2011 "61" Kia Rio 1.1CRDi), I changed the front discs and pads at 45,000 miles (Had a bit of a warp on the discs, but they still had plenty life left in them - a skim would probably have done if I could've found anyone who would skim them), and the rears were changed about 87,000 miles.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts