Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
First time poster here.

Have had my 2014 V40 for nearly two years now with not many issues other than standard servicing. However, lately I have had an intermittent but concerning issue. When driving, sometimes the radio will flicker/ lose phone connection, the dash will then flash with Brake Failure Warning! Stop ASAP/ Pedestrian Airbag Service Messages then all messages disappear as quickly again.

I have also noticed the passenger airbag on/off light above the gear stick is also flickering, and at night if driving, if i put my foot down hard on the accelerator it seems like the headlights are getting brighter? To date all I have done is check that the battery was connected OK and all seems to be OK there.

Unsure if this is also related but the car doesn't seem to have any boost until c.3000 RPM then seems to pull more than the lower revs.

Car is a 2014 Volvo V40 D2, with 60,000 miles.

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance.

Thanks,
Daniel

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sometimes a battery but my bet would be on the earth side. Check all the earth cables and the connection between the body and engine. A quick way to bypass (and check the problem) is to attach one jump lead between battery earth and something big and metal on the engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometimes a battery but my bet would be on the earth side. Check all the earth cables and the connection between the body and engine. A quick way to bypass (and check the problem) is to attach one jump lead between battery earth and something big and metal on the engine.

Thanks OldEngineer,
Can you advise where the earth points are located for me to check? Also, with the jump on the earth and metal - what outcome should I see that would point towards it being an earthing issue?

Thanks
Daniel

·
Registered
88 Posts
Have you got the kit too check the battery properly ? Just doing the voltage is not enough,needs to check for bad cells ,a garage will check it under load and discharged,good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you got the kit too check the battery properly ? Just doing the voltage is not enough,needs to check for bad cells ,a garage will check it under load and discharged,good luck.

No, sorry only to check the voltage - will get it checked ASAP. Thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
At least if it's not the battery you will have ruled it out without replacing anything unnecessary,if it's the original battery it's probably due replacement,

·
Registered
117 Posts
You'll find two major earth leads to the side of the battery. One heads down to the gearbox to earth the major drive components. The second goes underneath and ends up earthing the body just behind the left headlight. Other smaller earths are also present but look at the big ones.
Using a jump lead will act as a temporary bypass to prove whether it cures the problem.
Most warning systems post an error at first starting while they do the boot up sequence. Insufficient voltage can be either power or earth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You'll find two major earth leads to the side of the battery. One heads down to the gearbox to earth the major drive components. The second goes underneath and ends up earthing the body just behind the left headlight. Other smaller earths are also present but look at the big ones.
Using a jump lead will act as a temporary bypass to prove whether it cures the problem.
Most warning systems post an error at first starting while they do the boot up sequence. Insufficient voltage can be either power or earth.

Thanks OldEngineer for the info - will hopefully get checking tomorrow.

Happy New Year.

Thanks
Daniel

·
Registered
117 Posts
Also check the multi-pin connectors to the CEM (behind the glovebox) and in the driver's footwell behind the carpet/kick panel. The connector in the footwell in particular can come loose and it's also not unknown for the tinned connectors to corrode if they get damp. Volvo do a repair kit with gold plated connectors apparently.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had similar warnings a couple of weeks ago, pedestrian airbag service, ABS service etc. and then the indicators and speedometer became intermittent. V40 CC 2013 was recovered to the main dealer where the the fault was apparently a loose multi-pin connector behind the glovebox. Now all working fine with no further problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also check the multi-pin connectors to the CEM (behind the glovebox) and in the driver's footwell behind the carpet/kick panel. The connector in the footwell in particular can come loose and it's also not unknown for the tinned connectors to corrode if they get damp. Volvo do a repair kit with gold plated connectors apparently.
I had similar warnings a couple of weeks ago, pedestrian airbag service, ABS service etc. and then the indicators and speedometer became intermittent. V40 CC 2013 was recovered to the main dealer where the the fault was apparently a loose multi-pin connector behind the glovebox. Now all working fine with no further problems.
Thanks RS3100 and Jigsaw - didn't get a chance to have a look yesterday but from what you've both said it sounds very similar to my current problems.

Thanks
Daniel

·
Registered
53 Posts
check the multi-pin connectors to the CEM (behind the glovebox) and in the driver's footwell behind the carpet/kick panel. The connector in the footwell in particular can come loose and it's also not unknown for the tinned connectors to corrode if they get damp.
just a thought.... would it be worth using some contact cleaner as a preventative measure?

·
Registered
117 Posts
just a thought.... would it be worth using some contact cleaner as a preventative measure?
I spray damp start plastic type coating on vulnerable connectors on my vehicles, once a year during the summer. If you're in any doubt about the condition of the connectors, it wouldn't hurt to use contact cleaner first I suppose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi all,
Got out to the car Friday night/ Saturday Morning. Got the CEM out, all cleaned and back together. Also done the MAF and MAP sensors while I had the contact spray. Checked battery terminals for connection and main earthing leads to body.

No more error messages (as yet), passenger airbag light no longer flickering, radio not flickering on and off and car seems to pull smoother through gears and with more refined power delivery so all round seems like a good job. Will monitor the issues with the error messages/ radio flickering over the coming weeks.

Thanks to all above for the guidance/input.

Thanks,
Daniel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi All,
Just to update - issue has returned again, think we can strike out the possibility of it being the CEM as that has been removed and cleaned with contact cleaner and all connections set back in properly.

Issue has returned, and a few additional things I have noticed;
  1. Driver Side wing mirror - slow to fold out when unlocking
  2. Headlights - brighten when accelerating
  3. Passenger Airbag light (above gear stick) flickers when at high revs/ joining motorway speed etc
  4. Radio / error lights same as above - Dimming/ Error messages at high revs
Was in with mechanic last week and he tested battery, no issue with battery voltage at the battery - so seem to be pointing more toward an alternator fault.

Has anyone else seen this issue and pinpointed it to the alternator?

Thanks
Daniel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Daniel,

I have te same issue with my car, V40, D2 - 2013.

They have replaced the alternator. With that, I drove without disruption for about 2 weeks. Unfortunately, the same problem occurs again.

Have you found a solution by now?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts