Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody done a disk /pot upgrade on there car yet i see from a few car magazines that the brakes are ok but not fantastic and all the v40 have the same brakes ?
Any feed back would be greatly appreciated i come from a car that had 4 pot brembos up front so brakes are important to me

·
Registered
153 Posts
It seems that mods for the V40 are few and far between, especially since it's not released in NA.

Heico offer a big brake kit, but only fits 19" and above.

To be honest, I find that the stock brake servo has a nice feel. Very easy to modulate. At least compared to my 6pot Alcon I was running previously. ;)

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I have driven the V40 T3, T4 with polestar, T5 R-Design, S60 T5 R-Design, V60 T6 AWD, XC60 T6 AWD, and brakes in all of them felt good in normal and hard in town driving. Can't comment on race track conditions.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The calipers are the same on mt d4 as on our lasses mk2 st the breaks are fine for that for spirited road driving when running 285 bhp

Having said the the discs may be a tad smaller than the st.

Don't be taken in my fixed multi pot calipers are better, our lass had a mk1 OCR that came with 4 pot be bod, they were ok but more for look than anything as seat replaced then with floating single pot on the faster mk2 as they actually performed better.

What you might find is ferrodo ds2500 from the st will likely fit and they get some good reviews if you do want to improve the braking performance

·
Registered
10 Posts
The calipers are the same on mt d4 as on our lasses mk2 st the breaks are fine for that for spirited road driving when running 285 bhp

Having said the the discs may be a tad smaller than the st.

Don't be taken in my fixed multi pot calipers are better, our lass had a mk1 OCR that came with 4 pot be bod, they were ok but more for look than anything as seat replaced then with floating single pot on the faster mk2 as they actually performed better.

What you might find is ferrodo ds2500 from the st will likely fit and they get some good reviews if you do want to improve the braking performance
both have 320mm discs BTW

I have upgraded to Mintex M1144 pads as i thought brakes were not the best....initial bite is ok but lost confidence after long or hard braking.

For £60 i have much better brakes.

·
Registered
945 Posts
both have 320mm discs BTW

I have upgraded to Mintex M1144 pads as i thought brakes were not the best....initial bite is ok but lost confidence after long or hard braking.

For £60 i have much better brakes.
That is strange as the calliper seems closer to the rim on the MkII ST than the v40

Also not all v40's have the same brakes, the callipers on the d4/t4&t5 are different than the lower powered models

Ferrodo ds2500 are rated on the ST owners club site.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's down to wheel offset and design.

D3 has big brakes too.

I had the m1144 pads on the v50 and they performed well.

Camskill sell them reasonably priced.

I run omp carbon pads on my golf gt sport and they are good but squeal badly.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Why would you want to do a big brake upgrade? My D4 has mega brakes and I certainly wouldn't need any more stopping power!

I was ragging the buttocks off it at a disued RAF base the other week, around which I was having a bit of a race and the OEM brakes were more than adequate.

Yes, the brakes stank by the time I was done but there wasn't any hint of brake fade.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
brakes

Why would you want to do a big brake upgrade? My D4 has mega brakes and I certainly wouldn't need any more stopping power!

I was ragging the buttocks off it at a disued RAF base the other week, around which I was having a bit of a race and the OEM brakes were more than adequate.

Yes, the brakes stank by the time I was done but there wasn't any hint of brake fade.
well did a vkt fun day this weekend and had massive brake fade they have to be the worst oem brakes in history asking them to change fluid to dot 6 and will be replacing discs pads asap.

have ordered heico brake upgrade due in two weeks .cant wait just have to find a 19 inch wheel to replace the originals

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Temp

I take it is quite hot down there, something that does not happen to often up here
Johannesburg Average winter mid day temp is around 20 degrees C, summer 30 degrees C

Reactions: denn1s

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
have ordered heico brake upgrade due in two weeks .cant wait just have to find a 19 inch wheel to replace the originals
Are you going to sell your Ixion R-Design rims?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rims

Are you going to sell your Ixion R-Design rims?
Am between two minds to sell or not have found a similar rim to the ixion rims already but will have to wait a bit .a set is 840 euro and still have to get them here then get 5 tires as well so waiting for my tax refund to finance this one ..
I am also away for two months so the car is going to stand in the garage .so when I get back I will look at it .

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Am between two minds to sell or not have found a similar rim to the ixion rims already but will have to wait a bit .a set is 840 euro and still have to get them here then get 5 tires as well so waiting for my tax refund to finance this one ..
I am also away for two months so the car is going to stand in the garage .so when I get back I will look at it .
Ah ok, well if you do decide to sell them, and it is the Black & Silver ones you have, let me know.

You cannot these rims from the factory, only when you have R-Design :-(

·
Registered
945 Posts
The r-design rims are awful, to many lines/ridges/crevices, and I hate diamond cut rims, thinking of changing the colour of mine.

I presume the focus runs the same PDC so a load of choice out there

·
Registered
945 Posts
Ah ok, well if you do decide to sell them, and it is the Black & Silver ones you have, let me know.

You cannot these rims from the factory, only when you have R-Design :-(
The dealer should be able to order them, if they want a reg to 'prove' they are going on a R-design you can use mine (it was ordered with 18's).

If they get funny speak to a friendly tire fitter or garage 'who have' my car and get them to order them

Just realised, they may smell something funny with a uk reg LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.