Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to relay my experience of fitting a phone holder to the V40 should anyone else be considering this. I have an iPhone 5 and wanted to have a phone holder with charging cable.

I purchased a brodit proclip:
http://www.dsldevelopments.com/brodit/fitting_Instructions/Proclip.asp?Brodit=654800&Make=Volvo&Model=V40

And the iPhone 5 holder:
http://www.dsldevelopments.com/brodit/fitting_Instructions/Mounts.asp?Brodit=514422&Make=Apple&Model=iPhone%205

Did the install and managed to neatly and discretely connect the charging cable up to the USB connect under the arm rest. The whole set up is very good. Materials are good and the fitting for both the car and phone is excellent.

The problem I now encounter is that I get interference when the Bluetooth is in action (for calls or music). After some investigation (and help from Brodit) I think this is due to the Bluetooth head unit being fitted very close to where the proclip is mounted (behind the centre air vents). The head unit is therefore causing some feedback. The feedback can't be lived with so I need to find another solution.

I'm hoping Brodit will allow me to swap the centre mounting proclip for the side one:
http://www.dsldevelopments.com/brodit/fitting_Instructions/Proclip.asp?Brodit=604801&Make=Volvo&Model=V40

There doesn't seem to be any feedback on this side. The only downside is the installation is more intrusive (see photos in above link) and it's not so easy to keep the cables tidy on that side of the car.

Anyway, my advice to anyone is, before buying the centre clip make sure your phone does not display any feedback issues during a call with Bluetooth on when placed near the centre air vents. If it doesn't, then I can recommend the Brodit set up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for this. I was planning on just set up you have (it's what I have currently in my hopefully soon to be departed Countryman).

My worry about the clip on right hand side is would it be possible to get a cable long enough to reach (especially for iPhone 5 for which there only appear to be 0.6m cable currently.

Not got my V40 yet (due in 2 weeks) so not able to test yet. Have you any views?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Putting the clip on the right is no problem; I had this set up before (with a standard window mounting phone holder). You just buy the standard iPhone cable and attached it to a USB extender:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Series-Hi-Speed-Extension-Cable/dp/B0000DG4WP/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url

This works quite well as you can buy a black cable which blends in better with the floor (you feed it underneath the driver seat and mat. My only concern with the right brodit mount is that you have to ply open the right air vent (look at fitting instructions), but would imagine this shouldn't be too damaging.

Testing out the centre mount today has made the whole situation more confusing though as the problem now seems intermittent (the worst kind of problem). I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great. I'd be interested to hear your experience. I've now ordered the side clip and will return the centre clip. Will you post your results in this forum?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Best of luck with that! I managed to get a replacement holder for the RHS of steering wheel and it works very well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice review. I agree with the comments made in the blog. I've got almost the same set up except I got the holder with the power cable and fed it as neatly as I could into the centre armrest (under the chair and driver mat). It's certainly very stable and has a good quality feel. It's also well positioned for use (Siri, navigation etc).

As I've written above, anyone thinking of using a Brodit should avoid the centre console fitting as the phone's Bluetooth is interfered with in this position.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thank you both!

Yeah, power cable might be useful sometimes. When using navigation, internet radio and Glympse on the same ride, it drains battery extremely qucikly.

Did you manage to hide away the power cable effectively?

Anyway, it's too late for me I suppose to arrange a cable, I'll just buy a second regular charger to my iPhone to charge it at work, during the day. It might be interesting for others though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
4 Participants
hasofy
Volvo V40 Forums
If you've ever wondered what modifications or upgrades you can do to a Volvo V40, this is the right owners club for you.
Full Forum Listing