Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Um... My fuel gauge appears to be stuck on red. No matter what I do, how much I put in, it's just permanently stuck :(. This happened once before, but after about 8 hours it was fine again. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
395 Posts
No - not experienced this. I am not sure if they use a float or a "fuel strip" to gauge the level. if it is a fuel strip I have had many bad experiences with these on motorcycles. How old is the car - have you had it back to the dealer?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car's only 3 weeks old :(. I think I may have to take it to the dealer first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
945 Posts
they will no doubt say it is working fine and no fault detected, nothing they can do, take it asap, show them it on red but with plenty of fuel in (obviously make sure it has plenty of fuel in, then tell them to drain the tank and measure the fuel, and also that you will expect them to replace it (not just stick it back in as could not be contaminated) on the basis that you had to take it with loads of fuel in to show them the fault as other wise they would have just sent you away saying no fault etc.

hope this makes sense

NB I have had this...there is no fault, you ar emaking it up form other marques e.g. ford, BMW, Audi, VW, Seat etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they will no doubt say it is working fine and no fault detected, nothing they can do, take it asap, show them it on red but with plenty of fuel in (obviously make sure it has plenty of fuel in, then tell them to drain the tank and measure the fuel, and also that you will expect them to replace it (not just stick it back in as could not be contaminated) on the basis that you had to take it with loads of fuel in to show them the fault as other wise they would have just sent you away saying no fault etc.

hope this makes sense

NB I have had this...there is no fault, you ar emaking it up form other marques e.g. ford, BMW, Audi, VW, Seat etc.
Ah yes, makes perfect sense! Thanks for the advice. I really hope I don't have to go through that whole "no fault go home" business... It sounds frustrating enough just reading about it here.

Yellowbelly: The distance to empty is also showing "----", but I guess that's because of the fuel gauge right?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, after a trip to the showroom, I've been told basically that it's just something that happens & there's nothing they can do. I guess I'll have to live with it...

·
Registered
101 Posts
So you are driving around, with no indication of fuel level? On a 3 week old car? How can that be satisfying? I would be furious if that had happened to me!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Well, after a trip to the showroom, I've been told basically that it's just something that happens & there's nothing they can do.
I certainly wouldn't accept that "it's just something that happens".

I think you should try another dealer and if you still don't get any satisfaction you should take the matter up with Volvo Cars UK Ltd. email [EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]

·
Registered
155 Posts
Agree with Yellowbelly, it's outrageous. There's no way they can get away with that.

---------------------
Volvo V40 D2 Momentum, Ice White, Premium Sound, BLIS+LKA+RSI, TFT Display, Heated Windscreen, Rear Park Assist, Active High Beam, Power Child Lock

·
Registered
945 Posts
I can not believe that, the issue is that if it always shows empty and you do not know if this is correct or not how will you know when it really needs fuel????

I suggest you nicely ask them to confirm in writing (email will do) that 'it is one of those things' is the formal response to the fault.

Be nice and give them enough rope to hang themselves with.

In fact I would email the dealer and say something like

Further to my approach to you with my V40 reg xxxx with the faulty fuel gauge, I like to keep records of each visit to the dealer for the vehicles history (I am a bit sad like that) but I forgot to ask for anything in writing.

Therefore could you please confirm the work undertaken by yourselves in identifying the fault and your diagnosis.

I bet they come back and say no fault diagnosed, then you go back with the, what happened to the 'it is just one of those things'

Is it the selling garage?

Obviously if the fault reoccurs, take it straight to the dealer, ring them on your way so someone can be waiting for you (do not turn it off as it may clear the fault, show them the fault and leave them with the car and keys and advise if they refuse to fix it you are rejecting the car, call a cab and go home...they will quickly sort it

·
Registered
273 Posts
@TeenoV40...poor show by your Volvo dealer, even if they weren't the supplying dealer! My dealer here in Kent (Lipscomb at Aylesford) would never dream of coming up with the same line...admittedly they've tried to suggest that it couldn't possibly be the car if something cropped up, but sense has prevailed very quickly...strikes me that a few dealers need to up their game!

Keep us posted on the outcome as it helps others tremendously.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Looking at the first post by the OP it looks like an intermittent fault - cleared in 8 hours. So this may be an issue for the dealer. No excuse though for not sorting it out.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Wow, and I thought some dealerships this side was bad. I also won't accept an answer like.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I would think if the fuel gauge is faulty the dealership would hard pressed to ignore?
Unfortunately, intermittent faults are notoriously difficult to diagnose.
Equally unfortunately, not all garage technicians have the same level of skill. It sounds as if the technicians at this particular dealer have reached the limit of their experience and skill and/or of their diagnostic equipment. Annoying though it may be, I think it's time to remain calm and go to another dealer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.