Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I washed my Volvo yesterday. With the warmer weather here in the UK, the front of my car started looking like a bugs genocide site - hundreds of splodges in all colours perfectly visible on ice white paint ?

I took me a while until I was able to wash the front clear. I used Halfords bug and tar remover and a microfibre cloth - although the remover made it a little easier, I still think there must be a technique or detergents that could make removing bug splotches easier.

Advices, suggestions, experiences?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have the same issue with mine,and also with the bike and my helmet! The best thing in my experience is just to get a clean tea towel, soak it in warm water them lay it over the front of the car and leave it for 5 mins- softens the bugs so they just wash off. I don't use any chemicals as they seem to be a little abrasive.

·
Registered
945 Posts
As above soak them to soften the bodies, this however does not remove the 'blood' staining that appears when the car is dry,I have found a spray on glass cleaner is good for getting rid of this

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have a bucket of water and liquid wash/wax in the garage and as soon as i get home i give it a quick brush. Seems to work fine and the same goes for my bike and screen. I think the trick is not to let the bugs dry on or get baked on by too much sun.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All good advice, thanks to all who chipped in. Will definitely try some of them!

---------------------
Volvo V40 D2 Momentum, Ice White, Premium Sound, BLIS+LKA+RSI, TFT Display, Heated Windscreen, Rear Park Assist, Active High Beam, Power Child Lock

·
Registered
97 Posts
After loads of different big removers that never really helped, I gave up and moved to keeping a good coat of wax on the car. I get the car polished and waxed by a professional after winter and then add a liquid wax from meguiars (just wipe it over the car after washing) once a month. Takes me about an hour and a half but saves me loads more when washing, which I do around once a week by hand. Bugs are then easily sprayed off with a pressure washer, no matter how long they have baked in.

The Problem with bug removers and wheel cleaners is that they take the wax off too, hence making it easier for bugs and dirt to stick to the paint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.