1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
122 Posts
Looks a very neat installation. Shame there is no way of gauging how good it is.

·
Registered
637 Posts
There are some very cheaper similar cheaper ones from other sellers.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have links to these other sellers? Any other info is very welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have one of these running in my car. It doesn't have all of the features that my Nextbase camera has and the video quality is not quite as good. It doesn't have a battery in it, so it loses the date/time settings everytime it is powered down - these can be restored by connecting TimaCam (or a similar app) to it via wi-fi every time the camera powers back up, or by connecting the power to a permanent live feed. But the big plus point for me is how discreet it is - it will be even more so when I complete the routing of the wires. I was always worried with the Nextbase one that it might prove to be an attractive break-in target for an opportunistic thief. Incidentally, I have had the Nextbase one fall off the windscreen when my car got a gentle nudge in a car park - this won't happen with the AliExpress one!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Would it be possible to get some pictures of the installation?
Here are some photographs of my 'SinoSmart' AliExpress camera installed in my V40.

From the front:

Close up from front:

Driver's eye view:

Lowered driver's eye view:

View from driver's door:

View from passenger's door:

Ignore the wires in the photographs - they will be tidied away when installation is finally completed. This will also include installation of the optional rear facing camera. I will probably be connecting the camera up to the power supply available in the rear view mirror area.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, this is usefull information. How will the cam know when to start recording if there is permanent power? Is there no risk for your car battery when there is permanent power to the cam? And also, when will it it stop recording?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Another version that I do use myself is the blackvue dash cams. I personally use the 590 1chnl camera and placed it on the windshield just right next to the radar cluster etc.
As the camera is really neat on its own and also looks very minimalistic it really fits in both looking at it from the in and the outside.
The cables can be easily hidden through the roof lining, Apillar and in directly to the battery or just through the glove box and to the closest 12v socket. I've done it with the first alternative with no cables seen apart from the DC plug and 2cm cable connected to the camera before its hidden in the roof.

On the plus side you get a very nice quality and reliable camera that's easy to get your hands on.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Easterlily: Blackvue is indeed a good quality cam. Is it possible to post a few pictures of your camera in the car? Just to find out how good it can be seen from the outside. My car is in a public parking lot during the day, so it must be 'as invisible as possible'. Thanks.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just ordered this one:
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/YESSUN-Auto-DVR-Driving-Video-Recorder-Voor-Volvo-V40-Front-Camera-AUTO-Dash-CAM-Head-Up/32849157232.html

Looks the same as the one shown earlier in this thread. Shipping can take up to 28 days.
The camera was received and is installed.
Hardware looks really good, it fits 100%, the plastic looks exactly the same as the original. Camera quality is also good. The cam starts recording as soon as doors are unlocked because I've connected it to the 12V of the mirror. No conversion needed to 5V, the power input of the cam is 12V.
The app on iOS sucks. Unstable, unreliable, file management not working... tried 2 apps, but the second one is even worse, but of course that is not the main intention of a dashcam.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The camera was received and is installed.
Hardware looks really good, it fits 100%, the plastic looks exactly the same as the original. Camera quality is also good. The cam starts recording as soon as doors are unlocked because I've connected it to the 12V of the mirror. No conversion needed to 5V, the power input of the cam is 12V.
The app on iOS sucks. Unstable, unreliable, file management not working... tried 2 apps, but the second one is even worse, but of course that is not the main intention of a dashcam.
Thanks for the update. I've seen a couple of different versions of this, does anyone know if you need a different shape to fit cars with the additional camera that is part of the driver support pack?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the update. I've seen a couple of different versions of this, does anyone know if you need a different shape to fit cars with the additional camera that is part of the driver support pack?

I don't think so, but to be sure, please make a few pictures of the plastic housing around your rear view mirror, then I can tell.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Sorry - not seen the car in daylight since last weekend. From looking at your pictures I think it may need to to be a different shape. The bottom of the main cowl looks deeper. I've attached a couple of pictures showing it.

This is not the same as in my car.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yes, I think the cowl is deeper to cover the additional camera. One of the pictures on the link I referenced shows it - but yes I'll get in contact with them about it and let you know.

thanks

1 - 20 of 37 Posts