Volvo V40 Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
So, received the camera the other day and have just had a first go at wiring it in. Had some of crimp connectors left over from installing the third boot light so hoped this should be straight forward. However I can't get the camera to power up. Have tested the connector for the auto dimming mirror is live and with the camera connected the male connector (camera end) is also live but no joy. Need to have another look in daylight at some point.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Note that both power wires must have +12V to make the cam work. These are the +12V permanent and the +12V ACC. (only power when doors are open, alarm is off). You can find both in the connector of the mirror.
There is another thread in this forum on that.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks. I've had a play today with a 12v dc power pack and found as you said, to get the camera to work when both 12v need to be live. I've checked with a meter and the auto-dimming mirror connector is only supplying 12v when the ignition is on (stage II), purple being live and black neutral. Is there a second 12v that I've missed somewhere? The third cable in the connector doesn't seem to be live at all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks. I've had a play today with a 12v dc power pack and found as you said, to get the camera to work when both 12v need to be live. I've checked with a meter and the auto-dimming mirror connector is only supplying 12v when the ignition is on (stage II), purple being live and black neutral. Is there a second 12v that I've missed somewhere? The third cable in the connector doesn't seem to be live at all.
I think the 3rd connection is only live when recovers is selected so it undims the mirror to see what you’re reversing towards.

·
Registered
408 Posts
That makes sense, thanks. For the time being I've wired both the camera live wires to the ignition live and this has got it working. At some point I will take a further look to see if there is a constant live somewhere in amongst the the centre windscreen cowl.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That makes sense, thanks. For the time being I've wired both the camera live wires to the ignition live and this has got it working. At some point I will take a further look to see if there is a constant live somewhere in amongst the the centre windscreen cowl.

I did the same. Disadvantage is that the cam looses date and time and all other settings that you might have changed. Date and time are easily restored just by connecting to the cam with your smartphone.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I think the 3rd connection is only live when recovers is selected so it undims the mirror to see what you’re reversing towards.
The third connection is a LINBus digital comms signal that the CEM uses to tell the mirror when to dim or undim. DO NOT connect anything to it!

The lack of a permanent live on the mirror connector has been discussed on here in the past. There are very few permanent live feeds anywhere in the car other than the underseat fusebox.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation Buzby.

When I next see the car in daylight I'll take a couple of pictures of the camera installed. I'm not too bothered about loosing all of the settings providing it is simply recording when being driven. The only thing I think I need to keep an eye on is which files it is over-writing when it is full. (i.e. how does it pick the oldest first if they all have the same date?)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks for the confirmation Buzby.

When I next see the car in daylight I'll take a couple of pictures of the camera installed. I'm not too bothered about loosing all of the settings providing it is simply recording when being driven. The only thing I think I need to keep an eye on is which files it is over-writing when it is full. (i.e. how does it pick the oldest first if they all have the same date?)

The filename contains date and time.

·
Registered
408 Posts
yes - however if I don't connect a phone to it all files have the same date with just a different numbered file name. I'm wondering if just connecting a small 12v battery in may be useful, it claims to take 0.5mA in standby so in theory should last a while.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
yes - however if I don't connect a phone to it all files have the same date with just a different numbered file name. I'm wondering if just connecting a small 12v battery in may be useful, it claims to take 0.5mA in standby so in theory should last a while.
I would be carefull with that. The ground will be the same on car and battery, and we don't know what happens if ACC is on. Will the 12V from the car get connected to the battery in that case?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thought I'd follow this up with a quick video. Most of my driving recently has been in pretty horrible conditions, but this hopefully gives an idea of the quality: https://youtu.be/HQkaycTa684

I haven't sorted a solution to connecting it to a permanent live yet, so the date time has to be set via connecting a phone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here are some photographs of my 'SinoSmart' AliExpress camera installed in my V40.

From the front:

Close up from front:

Driver's eye view:

Lowered driver's eye view:

View from driver's door:

View from passenger's door:

Ignore the wires in the photographs - they will be tidied away when installation is finally completed. This will also include installation of the optional rear facing camera. I will probably be connecting the camera up to the power supply available in the rear view mirror area.
Long overdue update!

I tidied up the front camera install a while ago - I didn't take power from the mirror, I instead used a piggy-back fuse into the fusebox under the glove box. I also fitted the rear camera, and routed the wires through the grommets and ribbed rubber cable sleeve on the tailgate - only a very short section of wire leading to the rear camera is visible - see pics below.

View from front:

Inside front view 1:

Inside front view 2:

View from rear (camera at centre top of window):

Rear camera installation (wires run under trim panel and through the ribbed sleeve into cabin and connect to the front camera):

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been wanting to install a dash cam but put off by how indiscreet many are, making them easy prey for theft. This type of dashcam installed by broadbander, yauwera, and sdp is exactly what I'm looking for!

Are all of you still happy with this cam?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
yes I am. Still using it!
The only disadvantage in my case is that I need to connect my smartphone over wifi each time I start the car to sync time and date. This is needed because I don't give permanent power to the dashcam.

·
Registered
19 Posts
yes I am. Still using it!
The only disadvantage in my case is that I need to connect my smartphone over wifi each time I start the car to sync time and date. This is needed because I don't give permanent power to the dashcam.
Thanks yauwera. As long as it's still working, and the video quality is decent.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Yes it still works, and the quality is quite good for its price. Of course the main advantage is that it is built-in. Just unlock/lock the car and recording starts/stops.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts