Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am a newbie searching around for a 3-4year old V40. Ideally a D2 I think but if I can't find it will have to be a T2. Model preferred:- Momentum Nav Plus.
I have a couple of questions that I am hoping the more experienced V40 drivers on here can assist me with please?
1.I have looked at a couple at Non-Volvo dealers and the cars are usually being offered with what I would call a 3-6month mickey mouse general warranty that always have loads of exclusions of things not covered when things go wrong.
Now although I am handy with the spanners I am not familar with the V40 so my current thinking is that it would be wiser as a first time V40 buyer to go for a Volvo dealer and buy a car that comes with a Volvo Selekt 12month warranty?...Thoughts please? ...Am I being too cautious?
It's general electrics and tech issues that I suspect can get expensive that I am particularly concerned about?

2. T2 Fuel consumption....I know, again!
I have read numerous threads on here about this and the general consensus surprisingly seems to be that compared to other manufacturers with similar sized 2litre petrol engined cars is that the late model T2 is a thirsty beast and I will be lucky if I achieve better than 35-38 mpg in general motoring!
This is a bit frightening to me have owned BMW diesels in the past doing 50-55mpg. Yes I realise that a petrol car will be thirstier than a diesel but the problem is that D2's in Momentum spec seem like hens teeth so far in my search and I am just a bit nervous about the T2's fuel consumption.

All comments and thoughts very much appreciated.

Incidently just as an afterthought ...If you have a low mileage D2 Momentum Nav Plus that you are thinking of selling that may just solve some of my concerns!

Alan.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Petrol engines are pretty thirsty for short runs but decent on longer journeys.

I think Volvo dealer prices tend to be fairly competitive. Given the potential cost of repairs I went down this route. They offer a 2 year extension on warranty for 500, so 3 years total, which is good I think.

·
Registered
2017 T2 R-Design
50 Posts
1. Volvo Selekt 12 month warranty also comes with roadside assistance and apparently, according to the dealership I have just serviced my car at, it gets renewed at the time of service. Also, Volvo Selekt also means 0% apr finance, which was what compelled me to go through Volvo rather than 3rd party car dealerships.
2. Commuting to work through A roads with stop start traffic (about 3 stop lights, 2 roundabouts and some traffic congestion) for 9 miles each way, with A/C on auto returns 39mpg for me, but I usually use higher gears. Driving 60+ miles on motorway, constant 70mph, I get about 43 to 44mpg.

I have the T2 manual. Engine is alright, I wish I went for the T3, as I don't fancy remapping it and having my premium skyrocket because of it.

·
Registered
2017 T2 R-Design
50 Posts
1. Volvo Selekt 12 month warranty also comes with roadside assistance and apparently, according to the dealership I have just serviced my car at, it gets renewed at the time of service.
Just got an email from my local dealer, so clarification is in order on point 1: what gets renewed is not the warranty, but Volvo Assist, which is their roadside assistance.
But yes, seems like electrics/electronics are fiddly on the V40, mechanically not much going wrong with them (apart from the rear door locks)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Alex,
According to Volvo UK website the new car warranty can be extended from 3years to 4years by contacting your local dealer. Also says prices may vary!

·
Registered
2017 T2 R-Design
50 Posts
Hi Alex,
According to Volvo UK website the new car warranty can be extended from 3years to 4years by contacting your local dealer. Also says prices may vary!
Indeed, but I was referring to second hand Volvos, bought through a Volvo dealership. If you service your car with them, they give you free roadside assistance for the year, that's the idea.
But interestingly, if you buy a 3 year old Volvo through them, they throw in the extra 1 year warranty without any additional fees. It's almost like it's more feasible to buy a 3 year old car, after it depreciated, than a new one. Go figure!

·
Registered
473 Posts
1. Volvo Selekt 12 month warranty also comes with roadside assistance and apparently, according to the dealership I have just serviced my car at, it gets renewed at the time of service.
As long as your dealer remembers then when you take your car for a main dealer service it renews your breakdown assistance for a year. Currently Allianz have the contract to provide Volvo assist.

Although dealer servicing seems expensive getting 12 months recovery does make a difference

·
Registered
511 Posts
I would say get the Volvo warranty if you can. The newer Drive-E engines, well, they are still newish, so not much known on the problems front. Myself had the T3 in auto Momentum Nav + guise, so 1.5 engine (eg...destroked 2.0).
MPG medium traffic london city, well, high 20s mpg. Quieter city runs mid 30s mpg. 40-50mph free flowing traffic runs, 50+ mpg, highways around or just shy of 50mpg. My long term mpg was 38-39mpg and i did mainly city runs and 40-50mph runs with the odd highway thrown in. Oh and V40s eat tyres, 12-15k miles and you would probably need new fronts, rears, maybe after 13-16k miles. Not sure why but the rear do wear at a simialr rate to fronts.

Before settling for T3, I did test drive a T2, didnt feel T2 had enough oomph. Before the V40 had a Seat Ibiza with a 1.0TSI engine, and that was faster, as it was lighter, 110PS to 1.1 tonnes, vs V40s T2 122PS to 1.4 tonnes. If you had a slowish car previously, you would find the T2 adequate, sadly I had a 'fast-ish' car prior, so T3 it was!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Incidently just as an afterthought ...If you have a low mileage D2 Momentum Nav Plus that you are thinking of selling that may just solve some of my concerns!

Alan.
Mine is coming up for sale in a few months, not what you seek. At 7 y/o (Sept) you are entering into maintenance territory., 80k miles but it is a diesel, I have once added 0.5L of oil in seven years. I know for a fact you won't get a better four-year-old car than my 7 y/o with proportional miles. Seven extensively fault free years after the normal early DPF issues which were long since solved. Free road tax, will do 70mpg on m'way at a 65-70 cruise. It is my pride and joy, cherished, never pushed till warm, and long discussion list if you were interested.

Put a little more about it here

BTW - buy Diesel - Petrol are way too thirsty

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I am still looking...can't find the right car for me! However I definitely have decided I want to buy a used V40 from a Volvo dealer. There are some really scruffy cars around in the hands of the independant used car dealers and the risk of buying a lemon is too great!
Also decided that a D2 has too many potential problems for someone doing a lowish mileage of circa 12kmiles p.a. so a 17/18 plate T2 is what I am looking for now. But I am also fussy and the paintwork particularly front bumpers on V40's seem to be not that great.
A few white cars around...but as a colour my current thinking is that white cars may have just had their day?...any thoughts?
Also, how dirty does the back end and window get on a V40?...My old BMW Touring was terrible in bad weather for trying to keep the rear screen clean.

·
Registered
589 Posts
My old BMW Touring was terrible in bad weather for trying to keep the rear screen clean.
The rear screen is not an issue at all, although I do have the r des lip spoiler

·
Registered
V40 D4 R Design pro
1 Posts
Hi all,
I am a newbie searching around for a 3-4year old V40. Ideally a D2 I think but if I can't find it will have to be a T2. Model preferred:- Momentum Nav Plus.
I have a couple of questions that I am hoping the more experienced V40 drivers on here can assist me with please?
1.I have looked at a couple at Non-Volvo dealers and the cars are usually being offered with what I would call a 3-6month mickey mouse general warranty that always have loads of exclusions of things not covered when things go wrong.
Now although I am handy with the spanners I am not familar with the V40 so my current thinking is that it would be wiser as a first time V40 buyer to go for a Volvo dealer and buy a car that comes with a Volvo Selekt 12month warranty?...Thoughts please? ...Am I being too cautious?
It's general electrics and tech issues that I suspect can get expensive that I am particularly concerned about?

2. T2 Fuel consumption....I know, again!
I have read numerous threads on here about this and the general consensus surprisingly seems to be that compared to other manufacturers with similar sized 2litre petrol engined cars is that the late model T2 is a thirsty beast and I will be lucky if I achieve better than 35-38 mpg in general motoring!
This is a bit frightening to me have owned BMW diesels in the past doing 50-55mpg. Yes I realise that a petrol car will be thirstier than a diesel but the problem is that D2's in Momentum spec seem like hens teeth so far in my search and I am just a bit nervous about the T2's fuel consumption.

All comments and thoughts very much appreciated.

Alan.
I bought 18 plate D4 in January from a Volvo dealership via Heycar. I'm extremely pleased with it, got a great deal with all the volvo selekt benefits.
When I was doing my research, there were certainly plenty of D2/T2's available with good reviews although many saying both those engines were a bit flat and lacking poke.
The D3/T3 has approx 30hp more and better fuel economy.
I bought the D4 which has plenty of grunt all through the range. I drive around 200miles per week, half city, half motorway and it returns around 50/60mpg

Good luck!

·
Registered
2017 T2 R-Design
50 Posts
Also, how dirty does the back end and window get on a V40?...My old BMW Touring was terrible in bad weather for trying to keep the rear screen clean.
The only parts that get splattered rather quickly after washing the car I found to be the sides, just behind the wheel wells. But that is because I don't have mudflaps installed. Back window and back don't get that, but dust does tend to stick more on the black glass under the wiper and volvo logo. Debadging the model and trim helps with easing the cleaning process and looks better, as it declutters an already cluttered back.
The only times when the back window gets grimey with caked in dirt is when I use my windscreen washers. No matter how much I fiddle with the nozzles, they eventually start drifting upwards and shoot streams of fluid over the roof and unto the back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I found the T3 is thirsty if you do anything but very gentle driving or motorway runs. Now ramapped and with my heavy driving lucky to see 35mpg. I think generally if you accelerate hard, turbo petrols drink a lot - imagine T2 to be similar!

·
Registered
2017 T2 R-Design
50 Posts
I get 37-39mpg during commuting with my T2. 9 miles each way through a busy city, so a lot of stop start traffic. I got 42.7mpg on the motorway, steady 70mph.
Curious about remapping. Did it affect your insurance much?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts