Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

it's time for my new car and I can't decide between the two cars in my title. I have driven both of them and I can't find any noticeable differences except maybe a little more road noise on V40. I have read most of the reviews online but I still can't make a decision. If it weren't for the smaller boot, the v40 would be my first choice.
I would like to read opinions from members who own the v40 and have children. Do you find the small boot inconvenient?
I also found this review on the web :huh::

http://youtube.com/embed/FxSRiDxWYKc?html5=1&fs=1

Do long-term owners experience the same issues?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I presently own the c30 and have a V40 R design on order. The c30 has a much smaller boot and for me the v40 will be far far better bootspace of which I will appreciate. Also a no brainer in safety aspects when carrying the kids.....Volvo safety all the time for me personally.hope this helps

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello everyone,

it's time for my new car and I can't decide between the two cars in my title. I have driven both of them and I can't find any noticeable differences except maybe a little more road noise on V40. I have read most of the reviews online but I still can't make a decision. If it weren't for the smaller boot, the v40 would be my first choice.
I would like to read opinions from members who own the v40 and have children. Do you find the small boot inconvenient?

Xlapatsas hi (or sould I say "kalimera" :D?)

I am waiting my V40 (T4 R-Design) in two months and when I was searching for my new car i test drove the D2 and the Seat Leon TDI (same engine as the Golf). If you can accept that for a car with the same exact engine and chassis (but with - not so much different as in previous generations - quallity inside) you are going to pay well over 3000 euros, then you can consider buing the Golf. I could't do that (could not accept that with the money I was getting a Golf 1.4 140hp, I could get the Leon 1.8 180hp, with DSG and fully loaded with all the extras in the catalog) so the Golf was out of the question.

As for the boot space, you have to consider the actual difference in space and not the numbers you see (for example 40lt in difference between the two cars, may - in practical terms - not even mean a suitcase). In general, yes the space and practicality inside, may be better in the Golf, but the difference is not so big that it could be the major decision factor. Personally I have two 9 year old daughters and I think we will be just fine in the V40 (since we have managed to go on a 12 days vacation in a Greek island, in a Suzuki Swift!)

The review you posted, I was 110% sure that would be this one, before I even click on the link. It is of course extremely biased, anybody that sees all other available reviews can see that. For a much better review have a look at this link:

http://www.yourfleet.co.uk/car_reviews/volvo/road_test.php?report_id_9970

·
Registered
101 Posts
I became a father just two weeks before our V40 was delivered, (september 2012) and so far we have had no issues fitting what we need in the car. We live in Denmark, where its normal to have a big pram, where the kid sleeps outside. The pram fits in the boot, with the wheels off and fully collapsed. The stroller that we use now, fits even better - its only 25% of the size of the pram.

The only time it was fully packed, backseat and all, was for christmas, but that included a push bike and a lot of other gifts.

Regarding the youtube video, i must admit that I have not experienced any of the issues he addresses. I think its easy to drive around town, and its not exactly slow, when starting from a red light. We don't have the flexable boot floor, so can't comment on that, but I can tell you that our pram would not have fitted in the boot, if we have had that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think the boot space in the V40 is good, I have R design with lowered floor. On a recent run to the Uk and back I packed it full and to be honest didn't miss the space that I would have had in my XC70.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I managed to fit an 8 year old child in the boot of my V40 with all my other halfs work junk and there was room to spare!

To be fair, I didn't shut it but I do have the spare wheel which eats up a good bit of depth. :)

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
All hatchbacks have small boots, if you don't like it, then you will have to get a sedan. I have 2 kids, 7 & 13 old, get 3 big sport bags in, and it is full. Putting in school bags and backpacks, you really have to pack nicely.

Haven't been on holiday yet with my V40, but you will have to pack reaal yreally good to get everything in. If no one is in the car, it fits a bicycle easily with the seats down.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have a D2 and have the following comments 8000 miles into ownership: Road noise is unacceptable and Volvo don't seem to care. The media/phone/display functions are way too complicated and, as suggested in the video, require you to take your eyes off the road for lengthy periods of time to adjust. There are a lot of illogical issues with the operation of media/phone/displays - it appears that whoever designed these things was an amateur.
DAB radio is just not worth it although it was standard equipment. I had an Astra previously and the DAB was just short of perfect. The V40 DAB does not hold a station and is pants.
There are other niggles but the drive is fine although a little harsh. The powershift gearbox is great. Power is as would be expected for a 1600 diesel. Looks nice.
Would I buy another? No - and this is solely down to the road noise.
OldCroc

·
Registered
273 Posts
OldCroc...wow wasn't expecting that. It's like you've been let down, sorry to hear it chum.

I have an 8 and 7 year old, they love the car, I know we're all safe in it and the boot is only as large as the amount of toot you want to put in it...it amazes me when families with small children feel the need to buy estates or suv's (though I would live an xc class Volvo!). In short, I would buy an identical V40 tomorrow and enjoy the exclusivity than a Golf, A Classe, Focus, 1-Series provides...if the boot can fit a pushchair folded up in it, then the rest is academic so, go for it! Darren

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I agree with Darren, my kids also love the V40, my son wasn't keen on me trading the T3 in, but now that I have the D3, he is happy, and me too. I have the sport pack and low profile wheels, so the car will be a bit more noisy, but it is definitely quieter than the T3.

Been pumping it a bit in sport mode at times, ****, that noise that D3 makes is just awesome.

Reactions: DarrenCC and RiCu

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your answers.
When I drove the D2 I didn't find the road noise unacceptable, but it was louder than the Golf. The salesman told me that it was due to the bigger wheels(17") and with the 16" I could hear the difference.

The console buttons seem complicated to me too but I think I will get used to them.

I'm really confused about the reviews I find on the web. I don't know which ones I can trust.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have only had my d2 Rdesign for a couple of months but have yet to experience any of the road noise issues mentioned. The comment in the video about the dual zone climate control was laughable... How difficult it a dial with a button which, when presses, underscores which, or both, side/s of the car you're setting the temperature for??!

I have a 5 yr old and have recently purchased load carrier and cycle carriers purely because we go off road cycling and I don't want to muddy my interior with my bike. Little ones Ridgeback 14" bike fits easily in the boot on a big sheet of plastic!

Having used my car for pond distance business trips and local commutes/shopping trips, I have found the engine to be more than capable whilst still keeping the economy high (avg 60mpg combined)

If you want to stand out then the looks of the V40 will do that, if you want a commonplace Eurobox then go for the Golf.

Have to say the seats in the Rdesign are the comfiest I have driven in any car over the last 25yrs!!

Reactions: worm59

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wonder when cars are being road tested whether manuals are ever looked at. I went for a test drive with a standard v40 and look at least the things that the road testers had picked on. The impossible way of setting individual temperature for the front passenger. That took two minutes to sort! Can only ring a mobile if you entre the number, really, downloaded my phone directory in less than 5 mins and hey presto all my contacts to flip dial once and run down my full contacts, all 200 of them! Please if they are going to give a negative aspect of any car, read the manual first.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Go for the V40, it's a better car, looks better and it stands out from the rest of the crowd. Yes it has issues, but don't all cars, controls -after 5 mins you have mastered them, boot space not huge but ok, you will get 60plus mpg and if you drive like a nun then sky's the limit great fun watching your graph hit 100 mpg but can get boring.

It has the looks, quality and is a better car, go for it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the exact same decision as you to make last September - obviously, I ended up going with the V40 :)

On first inspection, I preferred the golf, while my wife preferred the volvo. After looking into them both a bit more though, and including financing considerations (0% for 2 years on the volvo vs standard interest on the golf) and insurance costs (£200 cheaper per year for the volvo for me), my opinion shifted more towards the V40.

What ultimately decided it for me, though, is simply the looks of the V40. It has a sleek, professional feel to it, and I wouldn't feel bad parking it next to a fancy BMW/Merc. The golf, on the other hand, feels much more like a little boys fun car rather than an adult, sensible option.

I've had no issues with road noise or the controls. Only problems so far have been my rubbish driving and a windscreen crack thanks to flying stones, but Volvo can hardly be blamed for either of those :p

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am in general very satisfied with the V40, having owned it for nearly one and a half years. I find the space on offer in V40 sufficient for our family of three.

I created a private blog about my V40 after delivery, to support people like you. You can find all the good and bad about living with the V40 from a small family perspective on my blog, including a detailed review of the boot. Hope it helps to evaluate this car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
For what it's worth - go for the Golf, I've had my D2 CC for 3 months now and regret it deeply, Golf is a much better car and I wish I hadn't made the mistake of getting the V40, but now I'm stuck with it so will have to put up with it, but it was a big mistake

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am in general very satisfied with the V40, having owned it for nearly one and a half years. I find the space on offer in V40 sufficient for our family of three.

I created a private blog about my V40 after delivery, to support people like you. You can find all the good and bad about living with the V40 from a small family perspective on my blog, including a detailed review of the boot. Hope it helps to evaluate this car.
thanks a lot!I will check on your blog!

For what it's worth - go for the Golf, I've had my D2 CC for 3 months now and regret it deeply, Golf is a much better car and I wish I hadn't made the mistake of getting the V40, but now I'm stuck with it so will have to put up with it, but it was a big mistake
I'm sorry to hear that!Can you be more specific about the issues you're having with v40?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes sure, the car is now three months old and the road noise is , and has been from new, completely unacceptable, fuel consumption is poor ( around 48mpg from a D2 ) which, for a 1.6 diesel is pretty poor, the bulkhead / floor on the drivers side is creaking and the city safety rarely engages, stop / start function works when it wants to, all in all, very disappointing, wish I'd bought the Golf

·
Registered
718 Posts
I can't comment about the other issues, but I am pleased to hear that your driving ability is such that City Safety rarely engages!

I have had a D3 SE Lux for nearly 18 months and am very pleased with it. Noise level much the same as others in the price range, including my daughter in law's VW. Consumption has averaged 50mpg. Stop/start is fine. From past experience I suspect the V40 is far more comfortable than the Golf.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.