Volvo V40 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
The VW engine is a cracker, 1.4 supercharged/turbo charged 140bhp, possibly the DSG gearbox which seems good, and the ACT stuff is uber-kewl, shame they haven't put the same ACT tech into the 180bhp variant of the same engine, that would be range-topping! The older ones seem to have major oil usage problems, however VW inform me this has now been resolved at the point of manufacture.

The D2 is 115bhp/199ftlbs torque, it really shows when driving. Our current Zafira 2.0DTi is 100bhp/169ftlbs but the lighter D2 engine revs much more freely and the power band is all the way to the line.

·
Registered
630 Posts
We were looking at the exact same two cars, and eventually chose the V40 .......... for a few reasons.

2 - ............ Volvo salepeople (we were attended to by 3 different people and made to feel like we were the most important to them on each occasion).
I'm pleased you got better treatment than I did.

I had a round-the-block test drive in a D2 V40 accompanied by the salesperson, and then I asked for a longer test drive in a T4. The salesperson said they didn't have a T4 demonstrator, but he would see whether he could get one. After a week he rang me and said he couldn't get a T4. I lowered my sights and said I would accept a test drive in a T3. After another week the salesperson rang and said the only T3 he could find was at Volvo Cars UK Ltd but they wouldn't let me drive the car for another 4 weeks. I came to the conclusion that neither the dealer nor Volvo Cars UK Ltd were interested in my money so I gave up. My Ford dealer found me a Focus demonstrator in 3 days and agreed to a 100 mile unaccompanied test drive. I was so impressed with the car and the attitude of the dealer that I abandoned all thoughts of buying a V40 and instead bought a 182ps petrol Ford Focus Titanium X which has the same engine as the T4.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have also found the local Volvo dealer particularly unhelpful. When I first walked into the showroom, and asked about the V40, the salesman asked me "And how will sir be paying for this car?" I explained that I wouldn't be paying for anything unless I could have a test drive. I then explained I was a lease car driver at which point the salesman said he couldn't help me. I would have to speak to their fleet person. It took me over 2 weeks of chasing them to speak with the fleet manager, who was actually a decent and helpful guy. He organised an extended drive in the V40. Unfortunately the V40 was crashed by the previous test driver the day before I was due for my drive, and in fairness to Volvo, they delivered me a fully loaded S60 to play with. I was given a full tank of fuel and allowed to keep the car for 4 days. It was delivered to my door and collected again after my test drive. I was very impressed with this service. I was promised the V40 when it had been repaired. 3 weeks passed with numerous calls to the dealer, and I eventually got the V40 for 5 days with another full tank of fuel which was very generous.

The local dealers have remained unhelpful in my quest to make a decision but I was very impressed with the people that dealt with the extended test drive.

With regards to the other dealers, VW have been excellent. Again an extended test drive was arranged (Suggested by them) and the sales guy has been very helpful on my subsequent visits to his dealership.

BMW Mini, also very helpful, but only an accompanied test drive offered.

Mercedes benz have also been very helpful. I managed to get a 2 day test drive, although the salesman was very cautious about handing over the car and said it wasn't something they usually did. He has also phoned me a number of times to see if I had come to a decision about choosing a car.

Still not made a decision....................

·
Registered
155 Posts
My two pennies worth...

Golf VII was also on my shortlist and it was a darned good contender to the V40. It is incredibly well made, has some fantastic engines with brilliant DSG transmissions, the equipment levels are fine, it has some groundbreaking technology (ACT), you can order the adaptable suspension, the resale value in my country of origin are ridiculously high (Golf III TDI has officially been named car of the year in advance until 2019 because no one will ever produce a better car, unless it's a new Golf, people will give you their 2012 Merc C-Class, a kidney and a pet for a Golf IV with 150,000 on the clock and so on...) Every bit of my brains told me it was a rational and wise deicison to get the Golf.

And every bit of my guts and heart hated it. I know we all have different tastes, but in my view, only an 85-year retired accountant from lower Bavaria could get excited over it (I apologise to all retired accountants from lower Bavaria who are reading this - no offence intended). The exterior is exactly the same as Golf VII which is exactly the same as Golf VI and exactly the same as Golf VIII and Golf IX will look like. THe designers were probably explixitly forbidden to change more than three lines from the Golf VI design (rear lights contain one line, I'm still looking for the other two). The interior is the same as in Golf VI and Golf VIII and last 17 generations of Škoda Octavia. Everything is in exactly the same spot. I think they are running out of ideas how to make it look like it's different when in fact it isn't.

OK, I overdid it, but you get my point. In spite of all of the above, I almost went for the Golf because you can't ignore hard facts and maths. What finally made it for the V40 was considerably more generous discount, probably due to the fact that the Golf has been released quite recently.

But I'm sooo glad they made it easier for me to choose the V40. It is infinitely more beatiful and has infinitely more character. I can easily live with the rational part of choosing the V40 and I am so much more happy I chose it - and looking at something beautiful each day actually has no price.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi Beli,

Thanks for the reply. You made some good points and I feel the same way you do. The Golf makes a lot of sense and it is popular for a reason. It has pedigree, is well made and has some great technology. But it is plain dull. The mk7 looks like the last few revisions despite VW's publicity telling consumers that it is a completely new car. My head tells me the Golf is the right choice. It makes perfect sense on paper but my heart says Volvo.

I have been back to the dealers again and sitting in the Volvo just feels right. Its quirky, its stylish and it just feels right. I think part of me is holding back on the Volvo because it means growing up and leaving my hot hatch days behind me. So, after much deliberation, I think I will place my order for the Volvo tomorrow. Now I can't decide on the colour. Red, Caspian Blue or Rebel Blue? I am terrible at decisions.

Thanks guys for all your posts.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Congrats on making the decision, and a right one at that! I subscribe to every word you wrote. Except maybe on the hot hatch image - if you don't look at the engine badge, the V40 looks sportier to me.

I am fairly certain you won't regret it. If I had chosen a Golf, I would certainly have a "I could/should have had a V40..." moment every time I saw a V40 passing by. It won't be the other way round.

As for the colour, rebel blue is just slightly too "screaming" for my taste. Caspian blue and red are both equally nice. While I would normally prefer the red, the beautifully sculpted rear lights sort of blend in and are less pronounced with red - the blue makes them stand out more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think whatever happens you can be sure you have made the decision carefully and considered all sides.

I picked up my v40 yesterday and have to say it feels a very special car to sit in. I even keep going to look at it out the window!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
196 Posts
Oh I don't know, the V40 is pretty close to a hot hatch if you ask me! The D2 even has sports suspension as standard, that little extra drop looks much better! Handling is quite probably excellent on this setup - it was superb on the standard V40, as Volvo have fitted better 'stuff' than the Focus on which the V40 chassis is based.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Recommend you try the D2 , I wasn't sure about it at all... BEFORE driving it!, drove the D3 and the D2 back to back a couple of times, while the D3 is a great engine and faster than the D2, the D2 drives a LOT better than the specs suggest and I'd say it drives smoother than the D3.

I've had the D2 R Design a couple of months now and can say I do not regret ordering the D2, it's very economical and is fast enough for 98% of what I need it for, very very rarely have I thought I needed a faster car....

I went through a similar thing with what car to order, Loved the A class looks, hated the price and wasn't fussed on the drive, others didnt do it for me, golf was fantastic to drive, but just Dull on the outside and too common, for me it came down to A3 or V40 , I liked the A3 a lot, but wanted the sportback, which wasn't released when I was ordering, but even if it was I would have still, in the end, went for the V40, love its looks, how rare it it (compared to others) and how it drives. I've now seen a few sportback A3 on the road and I'm soooo glad I didn't order it unseen, it just doesn't look as good as the photos !

D.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Order form sent this morning. Ordered V40, Rdesign Lux Winter in Caspian Blue. Saw a Caspian Blue model this morning on the Motorway, looked lovely.

I feel sick now spending more money than I wanted......oh well...........

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Order form sent this morning. Ordered V40, Rdesign Lux Winter in Caspian Blue. Saw a Caspian Blue model this morning on the Motorway, looked lovely.

I feel sick now spending more money than I wanted......oh well...........
Congrats on a good choice! Better sick than sorry - it'll pass quicker:).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Advised my car is at Zeebrugee ready to board the ferry, won't be long now......Can't wait!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a Golf for over three years - you haven't made bad choice.

The cars are really very different but both do a good job. If I was leasing, I'd probably take the V40 - if it was my own money and I was PCP ing or paying in cash and I wanted new, probably a Golf (dependent on discount).

I see the cars as being quite different with valid reasons for buying both. Where perhaps the Golf will fall down is value, so much is options and it gets crazy quickly.

The option pack system on Volvo's in my mind seems better value.

The Golf in anything but more sporty spec looks plain, that's a criticism that you can level at all VW's - Tiguan another example. The V40 looks stylish in all guises.

James

21 - 40 of 40 Posts