Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
This is my first time posting something on a forum but I really need some advice.

I just bought my Volvo v40 (2016) a week ago and today I had a problem with it. While I was driving home, I went from third gear to second and my car just stopped in the middle of the road. I couldn't get it to start again after. The tank was 1/2 full and I don't think it was a problem with the battery of the car because I could still see the notifications on the dashboard, the radio was still one and I could still charge my phone.
When I tried to start the car, it made a noise but it just couldn't get there to start the engine back up again.

Does anyone know what this may be? Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,
Imane

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bad to hear your experience. It can be a plentitude of reasons, sorry.
Can be faulty fuel pump, can be electronics with the fuel system or mechanical. Hard to give an estimate based on written.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your answer, I appreciate it. On thursday they'll run a test on the car to see what's wrong. I'll put an update when I know more :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have been in different situations when a car stalls. One time it was diesel filter which was clogged by a water in the system, 2nd time - relay which controls the current to the fuel system, 3rd time - air bubble in the fuel system not allowing the fuel to pass through. Good luck and give a brief explanation after you receive your car from the mechanic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE: I just got my car back from the mechanic, it was the starter that was broken. That explains the noise it made and why I couldn't start the car back up. They had to replace the starter. Everything is fine now 😊

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been in different situations when a car stalls. One time it was diesel filter which was clogged by a water in the system, 2nd time - relay which controls the current to the fuel system, 3rd time - air bubble in the fuel system not allowing the fuel to pass through. Good luck and give a brief explanation after you receive your car from the mechanic.
I'm not sure how long you had your volvo but are you happy with it or are there some problems that would push you to change to a different one?
We never had a volvo in the family so I have zero experience with this car brand, maybe you could tell me your conclusion about the V40? 😊

·
Registered
33 Posts
V40 is the 2nd Volvo in the family car lineup. 1st was S60 MY02, bought it 2nd hand with 5 years and 130k KM on dash. Never had any major problems, except the automatic transmission, which had to be changed, but as I recall my mechanic told this is a culprit for that car as the Aisin transmission is too weak for the mass it has to drag and selenoids get sticked by the burnt oil. Other than that - a reliable manufacturer and would not trade to other brand. S60 drove me happily for 13 years - had to change oil and filters only. The average mileage on the car was 25k KM/year - I am not an avid driver, just home-work-home.

·
Registered
196 Posts
UPDATE: I just got my car back from the mechanic, it was the starter that was broken. That explains the noise it made and why I couldn't start the car back up. They had to replace the starter. Everything is fine now 😊
But a faulty starter doesn't explain why the engine stalled during driving. It sounds scary, to be honest.

·
Registered
520 Posts
OH, so after 4 years the starter motor failed, perhaps one too many start stops...althought I thought there were 2 starter motors + 2 batteries, one for start stop, and the other normal start one?

·
Registered
156 Posts
The small battery only powers ancillary when engine is off,radio\aircon and so on,the main battery always starts the car,and can only be 1 starter motor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts