Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving a T4 2015, 75 K km, new tires 225/40/r18.

when i hit the brakes hard,(kind of emergency brake) the car starts to woblle steering is very hard, cars starts to seeks its own path going from left to right over the road.

Also noticed driving above 170 km/hr its no longer as solid as before.

slowing donw from 180 to 100 has to happen very slowly or i end up in the bushes.

Cannot imagine its the tires, A brand installed by pro shop.

I drove a loaner V40 recently and i noticed that one drove much less bumpy, mine, any pebble on the road hits your but, its not lowered, shocks seem to pass tests.

Any idea what this could be?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wobbling can be due to bent brake discs. Have a look at your breaking system.
Rims above 16" can be really bumpy. You are wearing 18" with very low profile so it must really bumpy. You can try lowering your tire pressure a bit. I have all 4 wheels at 30psi cold (225/45/r17) during summer and I find it to be the less bumpy it can get.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I'd get the tracking looked at.

·
Registered
264 Posts
As it looks like you have registered from the UK, why are you driving at 180kph? That is 111mph!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Does the car pull to one side if you let you the steering (safely of course) for couple of seconds? 30 PSI looks a bit low? However I can't comment as I have 16 205/55/R16s and it shows 33-38PSI for all 4 tyres. Higher PSI for higher speeds, which I can't do here in UK anyway (160km/h+)

·
Registered
25 Posts
30psi seemed low to me too but it is the recommendation from the tyre fitter who I trust. Bottom line the grip is very good and the tread wear is normal so I keep it like this

·
Registered
45 Posts

when i hit the brakes hard,(kind of emergency brake) the car starts to woblle steering is very hard, cars starts to seeks its own path going from left to right over the road.

slowing donw from 180 to 100 has to happen very slowly or i end up in the bushes.

I drove a loaner V40 recently and i noticed that one drove much less bumpy, mine, any pebble on the road hits your but, its not lowered, shocks seem to pass tests.

Probably have worn suspension bushes and ball joints in the steering or problems with rack itself.
Determine the cause professionally, otherwise sold immovable objects will become your new friends
Or many other components, one of many web sites
Wobble

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your ideas all!

I set my tires to 36 psi, so i could indeed try a lower setting, but i fear my milage will suffer from it?

I don't live in the UK, but mainland, live close to German freibahn tracks, why i drive 180? as i need to pass this speed when driving 200. The car is superfast and a simple touch of the pedal makes him shoot.

Tested 331 Nm, 193 bhp, overboost peaks at 231 bhp.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The union flag in your avatar made me think you were in the UK, autobahn driving makes more sense.
Have you checked the brake discs for wear?

·
Registered
6 Posts

Hi , check your front brake pads / disc for wear, also front brake cylinders , left side may be sticking?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts