Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, is there anyone else out there with blonde leather who could share some information on how to maintain the leather seats. Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi there.
As a car detailer of quite a few years now, I'll give you a few suggestions on recommended products.

First; Lexol. You can't go wrong with Lexol.

http://www.lexol.com/Category_leather.aspx

Have used their cleaner and conditioner set on many cars, and find the products easy to use, and able to produce a lasting finish.
As the leather gets older, some Neatsfoot conditioner is also recommendable, as it helps avoid drying out of the leather better than the basic conditioner.
Reasonable prices, and very good products. My personal choice.
You need a few good microfiber towels to work it in, and wipe it off.

Second, and a bit more pricy; Swissvax.
Among the highest quality car care products money can buy.
Their Leather care kit can work wonders on any kind of leather.
Little bit more fiddly and time consuming to use, but able to produce even better results. Specially on worn and damaged leather.
Comes with a brush to work the product in to the leather, and a towel ( you will want more towels) to wipe off the excessive.

http://www.swissvax.ch/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=swissvax&Product_Code=SE1042690&Category_Code=LEATHER-CARE

Both should be available both in car care shops near you, and online..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info :) For the moment I bought a leather cleaning kit from Volvo themselves :) But if I'd read this before I bought it, I probably would have bought the Lexol kit. :) When this one runs out I will buy the other one. Thanks :)

·
451 Posts
TryingVolvo said:
Hi there.
As a car detailer of quite a few years now, I'll give you a few suggestions on recommended products.

First; Lexol. You can't go wrong with Lexol.

http://www.lexol.com/Category_leather.aspx

Have used their cleaner and conditioner set on many cars, and find the products easy to use, and able to produce a lasting finish.
As the leather gets older, some Neatsfoot conditioner is also recommendable, as it helps avoid drying out of the leather better than the basic conditioner.
Reasonable prices, and very good products. My personal choice.
You need a few good microfiber towels to work it in, and wipe it off.

Second, and a bit more pricy; Swissvax.
Among the highest quality car care products money can buy.
Their Leather care kit can work wonders on any kind of leather.
Little bit more fiddly and time consuming to use, but able to produce even better results. Specially on worn and damaged leather.
Comes with a brush to work the product in to the leather, and a towel ( you will want more towels) to wipe off the excessive.

http://www.swissvax.ch/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=swissvax&Product_Code=SE1042690&Category_Code=LEATHER-CARE

Both should be available both in car care shops near you, and online..
Thank you for this detailed information ! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
In my Hyundai Coupé, i've used Body milk from Nivea to take care of the leather:

http://www.en.nivea.ca/products/body-care/pure-and-natural/pure-and-natural-body-milk

Try on a little part where is not seeing.

·
451 Posts
Sidiwalker said:
In my Hyundai Coupé, i've used Body milk from Nivea to take care of the leather:

http://www.en.nivea.ca/products/body-care/pure-and-natural/pure-and-natural-body-milk

Thnx for the information, as this Nivea Body Milk is easily available. I would like to ask, is there any need to treat the leather with such products from the beginning, or, say, after sometime, a year or something like this, when leather strarts to look "tired" ?

Would appreciate your opinion, as you have used the product.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sidiwalker said:

Be VERY careful with this.

Although leather once was skin, and in theory could make good use of some Nivea or other skincare products, I have to warn you that this can lead to a very disappointing and/or annoying finish.

Aware of the risks involved with me never having actually worked on the interior of a new V40, I'll try to explain my point:

The leather in most car seats today is treated in at least two steps.
(Pigment coat, and clear coat finish)
Trying to "feed" the leather in modern car seats with products meant for skincare will not work as intended. The coating of the leather will receive and block out the oils and fat from the lotion, and being a chemical coating, it won't make any good use of oils meant to go in to the skin of your face.
The oils will stay on/in the top coat, give a greasy finish, and attract even more of the enemy that you haven't yet addressed; Dirt!

What you should do, is to use a two step method of cleaning and conditioning your seats with products designed for taking care of modern leather. Waterbased products, like the ones I mentioned in my first post, including conditioners containing oils suitable for the treated leather surfaces we are working with here. They clean the surface in a a firm, yet gentle way, and provide hydration at a useful level, in a harmless way, and leave a dry to the touch result that maintains that healthy, fresh look of your seats.

Of course there are a big number of manufacturers that claim their products are the best, and that their formula somehow protects your leather better than the others.
My suggestions are based on what I have personal experience with, and obviously the reason i know those two, is that I have found them highly recommended in the car detailing world.
The point is to use something that is compatible with the surface we are working on. I'm pretty sure all the big car care, furniture and other companies that makes leather care products for modern treated leather, can offer you excellent products also.

Now, back to leather seats care with Nivea.
If it worked well in the Hyundai, then all is good. As I understand it, you've been doing it again and again, and that must mean that you found the finish acceptable.
I can't help thinking though, that those seats must be extremely dirty. Black are they?

There are some cars where the suggested Nivea would be a good idea. And that is cars that have uncolored and "raw" leather in the seats.
Typically you'll find this in classics over a certain age, but also some modern cars.A few expensive Italian and British carmakes comes to mind, and i believe some models from the big american makes also have this.
Should you come across this, then go for it. Nivea or other, skincare will work nicely. With some patience and persistence you will be able to "feed" the leather and the product will be absorbed in to the surface.
However, it shouldn't be any problem at all getting your hands on products specifically made for these interiors.

In our Volvo's though, I'll stick to using products meant to be used on the type of leather we are dealing with.

Long post :)
Hope my English is understandable, and that my post is useful to some.

·
451 Posts
TryingVolvo said:
Sidiwalker said:

Be VERY careful with this.

Although leather once was skin, and in theory could make good use of some Nivea or other skincare products, I have to warn you that this can lead to a very disappointing and/or annoying finish.

Aware of the risks involved with me never having actually worked on the interior of a new V40, I'll try to explain my point:

The leather in most car seats today is treated in at least two steps.
(Pigment coat, and clear coat finish)
Trying to "feed" the leather in modern car seats with products meant for skincare will not work as intended. The coating of the leather will receive and block out the oils and fat from the lotion, and being a chemical coating, it won't make any good use of oils meant to go in to the skin of your face.
The oils will stay on/in the top coat, give a greasy finish, and attract even more of the enemy that you haven't yet addressed; Dirt!

What you should do, is to use a two step method of cleaning and conditioning your seats with products designed for taking care of modern leather. Waterbased products, like the ones I mentioned in my first post, including conditioners containing oils suitable for the treated leather surfaces we are working with here. They clean the surface in a a firm, yet gentle way, and provide hydration at a useful level, in a harmless way, and leave a dry to the touch result that maintains that healthy, fresh look of your seats.

Of course there are a big number of manufacturers that claim their products are the best, and that their formula somehow protects your leather better than the others.
My suggestions are based on what I have personal experience with, and obviously the reason i know those two, is that I have found them highly recommended in the car detailing world.
The point is to use something that is compatible with the surface we are working on. I'm pretty sure all the big car care, furniture and other companies that makes leather care products for modern treated leather, can offer you excellent products also.

Now, back to leather seats care with Nivea.
If it worked well in the Hyundai, then all is good. As I understand it, you've been doing it again and again, and that must mean that you found the finish acceptable.
I can't help thinking though, that those seats must be extremely dirty. Black are they?

There are some cars where the suggested Nivea would be a good idea. And that is cars that have uncolored and "raw" leather in the seats.
Typically you'll find this in classics over a certain age, but also some modern cars.A few expensive Italian and British carmakes comes to mind, and i believe some models from the big american makes also have this.
Should you come across this, then go for it. Nivea or other, skincare will work nicely. With some patience and persistence you will be able to "feed" the leather and the product will be absorbed in to the surface.
However, it shouldn't be any problem at all getting your hands on products specifically made for these interiors.

In our Volvo's though, I'll stick to using products meant to be used on the type of leather we are dealing with.

Long post :)
Hope my English is understandable, and that my post is useful to some.
All the above hears like a "Thesis" on treating leather. Thank you so much, Trying Volvo.
Anyway, besides my asking, I am extremely careful.
Posts useful, English excellent, if I am allowed to express an opinion as a non native speaker of this language! Thanks once more! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Learned two things today..

1: The Volvo leather care kit works very well. A very picky friend of mine tested it on his BMW 125i during the weekend, and found it easy to use, and leaving a satisfying result on his three year old leather.
Knowing him and the standards he demands, I would say satisfying in his words means excellent in the words of normal (sane) people :)

2: After reading numerous forum posts on the subject, I have come to believe that the Volvo leather care kit is actually the same as Ikea's "Absorb" leather care kit.
Can't guarantee it, but I've read so many convincing posts that it seems reasonable to believe it.

A top tip here would be..:
If you want the Volvo leather care kit, then don't buy it!
Buy "Ikea Absorb" at one third of the price instead..:)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Can anyone else add some pointers for a leather care newbie. Had my car nearly two years but never done anything to the leather seats apart from use the leather wipes. Before the volvo all my cars had cloth seats. So a little lacking in confidence when it comes to cleaning/feeding leather seats

·
Registered
110 Posts
Learned two things today..

1: The Volvo leather care kit works very well. A very picky friend of mine tested it on his BMW 125i during the weekend, and found it easy to use, and leaving a satisfying result on his three year old leather.
Knowing him and the standards he demands, I would say satisfying in his words means excellent in the words of normal (sane) people :)

2: After reading numerous forum posts on the subject, I have come to believe that the Volvo leather care kit is actually the same as Ikea's "Absorb" leather care kit.
Can't guarantee it, but I've read so many convincing posts that it seems reasonable to believe it.

A top tip here would be..:
If you want the Volvo leather care kit, then don't buy it!
Buy "Ikea Absorb" at one third of the price instead..:)
Hello guys,
Has anyone used the "ikea absorb" solution?
I don't have leather seats. I just want to use it for the leather parts on the steering wheel and gear stick.
Any suggestions would be appreciated...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Can anyone else add some pointers for a leather care newbie. Had my car nearly two years but never done anything to the leather seats apart from use the leather wipes. Before the volvo all my cars had cloth seats. So a little lacking in confidence when it comes to cleaning/feeding leather seats
I have a feeling the wipes are a leather cleaner, so you're going to need a leather conditioner to finish it otherwise it's going to dry up and crack prematurely.

I use Duragloss leather conditioner that has mink oil and lanolin. This penetrates and softens the leather. I'd go with some kind of leather conditioner, and apply at least every 2 months. It's very quick to do.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts