Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ordered and received a pair of glossy black wing mirror casings to replace the standard casings on my bright silver V40 (these ones https://www.volvopartshop.com/rear-...finish-black-stone-v40v40cc-2013--16624-p.asp).

Does anyone have experience in removing / replacing the casings? The official installation guide seems to refer to a small plastic lever required to pop the glass out, but I don't seem to have received one.

Has anyone done the installation? Did you need the lever and how did you go about it?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've ordered and received a pair of glossy black wing mirror casings to replace the standard casings on my bright silver V40 (these ones https://www.volvopartshop.com/rear-...finish-black-stone-v40v40cc-2013--16624-p.asp).

Does anyone have experience in removing / replacing the casings? The official installation guide seems to refer to a small plastic lever required to pop the glass out, but I don't seem to have received one.

Has anyone done the installation? Did you need the lever and how did you go about it?
Matt

you wont receive a lever its a Volvo trim removal tool you can buy but you don't need it if you use common sense and a good clean flat head screwdriver

I changed my matt chrome casings for a new set due to heavy stone chips damage so have changed a set, I too looked at the official Volvo guidance which was usefull but slightly unclear, total time to complete job for me was about 20 minutes.

To remove the Glass you need to fully tilt the glass towards the car, e.g so there is a gap on the outer edge of the wing mirror between the casing and the glass itself, to wedge out the glass I used a long flat headed screwdriver, with the head and shaft of the screwdriver covered and padded up with a microfiber cloth doubled over to protect the glass. (realy is worth giving it as much protection as will fit in the gap your given to avoid breaking the glass)

WARNING you realy need to take this slowly and not rush as to not break the glass or chip the piano black plastic surround, if you take your time you will hear it unclip as you wedge it slowly and you can pull it away from the casing, it will be attached by two thin wires (heater electrics)which need to be unclipped but these may show signs of corrosion and be a little difficult to pull apart so again take your time and don't break.

Its also advisable to place a thick blanket or something that can absorb impact should the glass drop during removal on the floor when working!

The removal of the casing itself although simple enough will give you cause for concern as you do need to apply more force than you would like to remove and also use a screwdriver or similar implement to pop one of the tangs, but again take your time, be slow and don't get impatient.

From memory there are about 3 clips on the upper edge of the casing and these can be undone by application of pressure and a little squeezing from the outer edge of the casing and working towards the car window with your fingers, (do this first) there is also a tang on the casing which I had to pop with the edge of a screwdriver to get it to come off fully(that is the slightly scary part) the tang is at the top of the casing and will be near the top corner closest to the car(see the inside of your new covers for location in relation to the ones on the car now) the outer mirror casing (piano black section) will have a hole in it where the screwdriver can pop through to do this, again take it slow and don't rush it, as your basically hitting the inside of the casing to get it to fully pop off, oneside on mine came away with a very light tap however the other side needed more persuasion and im just happy I had new replacments as it could easily have damaged the existing cover.

Sorry if it seems complicated but writing from memory only as I didn't take any photos - good luck!

Reactions: MagaDS

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've ordered and received a pair of glossy black wing mirror casings to replace the standard casings on my bright silver V40 (these ones Volvo Rear View Mirror Casings, Glossy Black Finish, Black Stone, V40/V40CC 2013-).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have replaced the covers with a pair of carbon fibre ones. To remove the mirrors. gently lever them out making sure to avoid the clips which hold them in place.
There are a number of clips on the top of the cover that hold it in place and which have to be loosened. Then look for a hole through the case and using a stick, not metal, bamboo is good, push the stick until it touches the inside of the case. Tap the end and the cover will pop off. not difficult but a bit fiddly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts