Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure there are similar experiences but after tying to use search for 5 mins I have given up.

Last night on way home the yellow engine symbol with the word 'check' came on

Will ring dealer as would have thought any call out would be fruitless, appreciate feedback on similar experiences if any.

·
Registered
719 Posts
On the V40 I don't know. Had the problem on my son's motorhome with a Transit 2.2 diesel engine. It was something to do with a valve that allows exhaust back into the inlet getting sooted up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've read loads of discussions about this elsewhere, particularly on the XC60 with the same new VEA engine as yours. In just about every instance I've seen, the dealer has replaced the EGR valve (and cooler in some cases) and it's resolved.

Just seems to be a gremlin with a new engine architecture, but something Volvo are well aware of now and have since fixed it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've read loads of discussions about this elsewhere, particularly on the XC60 with the same new VEA engine as yours. In just about every instance I've seen, the dealer has replaced the EGR valve (and cooler in some cases) and it's resolved.

Just seems to be a gremlin with a new engine architecture, but something Volvo are well aware of now and have since fixed it.
Thank you Ant, that also ties in with Wizzy view then.

Hate EGR :frown2:

Booked in for Friday but if it's not working the car will prob run a lot better :laugh:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thank you Ant, that also ties in with Wizzy view then.

Hate EGR :frown2:

Booked in for Friday but if it's not working the car will prob run a lot better :laugh:
Probably not, the egr helps to reduce nox emissions more than anything, in fact some people disable it altogether on some older diesel engines with little impact on performance because they believe the re circulation of gases is harmfull, probably to hard to do on the more modern engines as it will throw up a fault code.

I'm not a mechanic or expert by any stretch but I do believe the egr tends to work more at idle speeds.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Probably not, the egr helps to reduce nox emissions more than anything, in fact some people disable it altogether on some older diesel engines with little impact on performance because they believe the re circulation of gases is harmfull, probably to hard to do on the more modern engines as it will throw up a fault code.

I'm not a mechanic or expert by any stretch but I do believe the egr tends to work more at idle speeds.
Correct Arb, they also say it cools the head (not mine :| I hasten to add).

I completely re engineered the EGR on the landrover to remove it, went from 320 miles per tank to 440 overnight and removed a dangerous stalling trait and improved low speed torque. Yes it puts hot, dead, dirty exhaust gas back in the clean side of your engine and they are prone to get 'tarred' up. If memory serves me right, it mainly doses on deceleration. Not possible to bypass on modern cars since as you say it brings on the 'lights' & fault code.

Am a little concerned in running it till Friday tho as I'm sure it smelt hot on way home, if I call Volvo roadside assist I doubt they will carry the magic box to diagnose it ?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No light this morning ! ? !

Will still take it Friday to understand if there is a brewing issue, at least not as concerned about driving it now !

·
Registered
945 Posts
EGR valve issues on the Volvo diesels now, oh no everything I said about/against diesels seems to be coming true...>:)

I hope you get it sorted

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Car went in Friday, I love the power of info sharing... Well done you were spot on the money Ant!

Service: Mr Fenton we need to order a couple of parts

Me: a new EGR valve?

Service: why yes

Me: and a cooler?

Service: so are you psychic or has it had one on before?

Me: no I have read up on it on the Volvo v40 forum

I'm posting now and will write 2nd half in case I lose it again as on mobi

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So the story goes...

Volvo have a problem with the D4 engine in the UK... Sounds like my Landy all over again!

To meet UK legislation (I take it to be the magic 99 tax fee co2). They are using more EGR and as a result the EGR and intake are sooting up. There is 1000 kits on back order. I assume non uk cars do not have to reach 99 grams of CO2 per km and therefore get better economy and better performance with less EGR. Just looked in my handbook and surprise surprise there are 'B' 'C' & 'D' variants of the D4 representing low emission and non low emission models but no stated CO2 figures !!! Someone out there will no doubt have them ?

Doesn't matter if you drive hard or easy, they have seen it in short journey and m'way cars. Mine is 5 months old and done 6k of mainly short (under 10m) trips.

They have ordered the parts for mine but they are not 'the' final fix and solution, it's just Volvo will not let dealers clean and refit same units (maybe they are getting the units returned for analysis)

Think the only practical workaround will be a remap to reduce / disable EGR... Went through exactly same with Land Rover 10 years ago and the manufacturer will not reduce EGR dosing as its the basis on their CO2 claims. The landrover was over dosing on an old engine to meet new 2005 legislation but it killed the mpg, eliminated low down torque and produced a very dangerous trait of it stalling 2 metres after pulling out of a junction. After persevering with dealer and land rover engineers (6 month old car under full 3 year warranty) I removed the EGR myself and 2 months later also had it remapped, never missed a beat for the next nine years and remap was undetectable to dealer, they turned a blind eye to my mod as it solved the problem and got me off their back.

Pretty sh*t really that it's still going on after ten years but not at all surprised, still love her :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Car went in Friday, I love the power of info sharing... Well done you were spot on the money Ant!

Service: Mr Fenton we need to order a couple of parts

Me: a new EGR valve?

Service: why yes

Me: and a cooler?

Service: so are you psychic or has it had one on before?

Me: no I have read up on it on the Volvo v40 forum

I'm posting now and will write 2nd half in case I lose it again as on mobi
From a quick google it seems there has been 2 revisions to the D4 VEA EGR Valve with the second around in January, and one revision to the cooler. Hopefully the revisions will prove more reliable.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ha ha no D, the T5 was even worse from what I read.

Mine was a T4, sport premium freelander, sat low & wide, it was fully loaded & a bit like a baby Range Rover

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thanks.
I have a TD5 Defender 55 plate done just 39k and as built.
Still has EGR fitted, thinking about fitting blanking kit?
Inexpensive kits readily available.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'm sure I have my original that took out D, had a quick look round and cannot find it. I made an alum straight through housing I could send you drg but no doubt TD5 is different. The valve blocks the bore by 38% so an open bore massively helps flow, I did mine way before kirs came on market but they should be fine but just make sure major bore has no obstructions.

A quick and easy fix to get you off and running is pull off the vacuum tube, push up a 4mm pin inside pipe and push back on, looks exactly same but absence of vacuum to open valve stops it opening (no EGR), you still have the 38% blockage but you will see a big difference just doing that. Follow it up by a complete strip and wash of inlet manifold as it will be minging.

Under no circumstances allow water or fluid into the engine through the inlet ports of it will hydraulic when you start it and knack engine

·
Registered
945 Posts
Sounds like the same issue VAG have with some of their engines, they will fix the issue for £200 if out of warranty....until next time.

As I have posted before oil burners will run and run but the emissions control will kill your car long before the engine does :frown2:

I would be ready to put something to the dealer, tell them you nt a permanent fix or you will reject the car!

Remember you are talking about a Volvo so I would guess getting a map to remove the warning lights caused by by-passing emissions controls will be much harder.cut your losses would be my advice (Volvo don't currently have the best toe cord of fixing inherent defects at the moment):frown2:

·
Registered
945 Posts
Have you tried running your on V-power, I have been doing this on a few of the oil burners on my fleet and none of those have died yet (it solved a hunting problem with a mini)

1 - 20 of 280 Posts