Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to check mine but when ever I go in to the menu (using left indicator stalk) the option is always grey'd out, how do I do this.

NB I have tried at various times, before and after journeys of various lengths

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
I haven't seen this option in the V40. I know on the current Audi A4 you can check the oil level of the car, my buddy showed me in his, and I thought, now that is nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't know if this is the answer you're looking for, but I took delivery of a D3R last week and they showed me how to check the oil level on the dashboard

When I tried to do it later on, I had the same problem as you in that it was greyed out and you couldn't activate it.

The dealer told me you can only check the oil level when the engine has been stood and cooled down. So I presume if you're trying to check the level immediately after a drive or soon after, the read out doesn't work

Have you tried when the car has been stood for a while?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
According to the manual, you get engine with dip stick, and engine with electronic oil sensor. One with sensor probably only comes on the bigger engine models or when you take all the bells and whistles on the car

·
Registered
16 Posts
On my D4 RDLux I put the key in the dash, keep foot off clutch and press and hold the start button for a couple of seconds. you can now go into the menu and read the oil level. :D

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yes that is the procedure in the manual, but is/was an option. I have no means of checking the oil level

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've got a MY14 D3, and mine is also always greyed out (even if left overnight and checked before starting the engine).

I took it to my dealer who said that I haven't got the electronic sensor, and pointed out a small grey dip stick right near the bottom of the engine near the sump.

Have you guys got the same thing, or are your D3s electronic?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You need to hold the button in until the full dash warning lights etc come on and not the usual punch I recently found out

The d3 does not have a dip stick, you were probably just shown the blank/bung covering where a dipstick could go

·
Registered
630 Posts
You need to hold the button in until the full dash warning lights etc come on and not the usual punch I recently found out

The d3 does not have a dip stick, you were probably just shown the blank/bung covering where a dipstick could go
I like to have a dipstick, so that I can actually see the oil level.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree as I do worry about what happens if the sensor goes wrong, sensors do have a tendency to do this after all

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree as I do worry about what happens if the sensor goes wrong, sensors do have a tendency to do this after all

the sensors in the sump are very reliable,there is however a short dipstick fitted to most 5 cyl diesel engines the exception however is the new d4 4 cl engine which only has a electronic check.

·
Registered
225 Posts
the sensors in the sump are very reliable,there is however a short dipstick fitted to most 5 cyl diesel engines the exception however is the new d4 4 cl engine which only has a electronic check.
There is somewhat of a question mark over whether an electronic sensor is reliable and durable. Its the one aspect of the new Drive-E engines I'm not happy about - ie the lack of a manual dipstick and total reliance on a single electronic sensor on such a key aspect of engine wellbeing.

This is currently causing some concern in Volvo's key US market (from the Swedespeed forums) where sensors on the Drive-E T5 & T6 engines are indicating oil should be added. However when they take the car to a Volvo dealer (who are the only ones who can independently check the oil level) they find there is sufficient level. All this for saving a few dollars on a manual dipstick.

Tony

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the D3 without a dip stick and very low mileage, I am not saying the garage would do this but How do I know the garage Have changed the oil on service.:-/

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have the D3 without a dip stick and very low mileage, I am not saying the garage would do this but How do I know the garage Have changed the oil on service.:-/
Not definitive by any means but the car is one heck of a lot quieter after an oil change

As a few have stated, to check oil you depress the key for 3 seconds without touching the clutch, this effectively puts the ignition in P II without starting the car, oil logo is then no longer greyed out

·
Registered
729 Posts
learned something new today :) Didn't know you could "activate" the car without starting it. **** I've only had it two months/4000 km and still learning new features.

·
Registered
20 Posts

hopefully if you use a dealer they will indeed change the oil,ive never seen it not done lets put it that way ! however the sensor that measures oil level alos has a oil quality sensor too,this can detect if there is a build up of metallic particles,bringing the mil on.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thats one thing i am not to keen on, i used to like checking the oil using the dipstick as you are able to check the colour and condition. I am used to changing things like this halfway through the stated service schedule, gives me piece of mind about how i am looking after the engine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts