Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new here and I've been looking to a similar question since hours on this very interesting forum, but I didn't find any.
I've a white Volvo V40 R-design, with glossy black rims for the winter.
I would love to dechrome the following parts of the car and make them gloss black:
  • Window trims
  • Mirror caps
  • Lower matte black plastic part of the front bumper
It will look in the end roughly like the V40 Carbon edition (except of the roof and rear difuser)

Does anyone have experiences, tips, examples or thoughts about this plan?
Also, I contacted a professional company already and it was costly. Any recommendations in the Netherlands?

This is an example of what I'm trying to archieve:

Registered
For the window trim you can buy chrome delete tape/vinyl and wrap them yourself. The caps can be repainted if you can do it yourself or order black ones, either used or New from your dealer or maybe vparts . se.
The lower parts needs to be repainted correctly for a good result as they are textured.

Pic of my v40.

Skickat fr氓n min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
For the window trim you can buy chrome delete tape/vinyl and wrap them yourself. The caps can be repainted if you can do it yourself or order black ones, either used or New from your dealer or maybe vparts . se.
The lower parts needs to be repainted correctly for a good result as they are textured.

Pic of my v40.

Thanks for your quick answer. Okay, maybe I will give that tape a go. Just ordering black mirror caps is not bad, thanks for your advice.
Great looking car! Did you lower it?

Registered
Yes it is lowered with eibach springs and eibach spacers also changed the grill to the facelift one and painted the chrome Black on it.

Registered
For dechroming the window trims, ive looked at the 3M 2080 gloss black wrap, seems quite cheap to buy. The only thing im not sure about is the tight angles on the front and rear trim, I don't want a join..... I wonder if with a heat gun will the tape allow for the curved trim?

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it is lowered with eibach springs and eibach spacers also changed the grill to the facelift one and painted the chrome Black on it.

Did you paint the chrome parts in the grill yourself? How did you do it?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G960F mit Tapatalk

Registered
Did you paint the chrome parts in the grill yourself? How did you do it?

I removed the grill and seperated the chrome from it. Then sanded the chrome and wetsanded it. Then applicated adhesive primer and then normal primer. Then wetsand again and then some layers of basecoat and finish it of with 2k clearcoat.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, well done mate.
Then my last question is, do you think this possible for me to do using some YouTube-tutorials. Or at least worth trying right. Cause I'll give it a go then. And the front bumper will me done by a professional I guess. Thank for all your help and inspiration

Registered
Also, with regards to the window trims, some models had them in black as standard, the ES model here in the UK. Maybe easier to find some in a breakers yard / on line before trying wrapping?

Registered
And finally do not forget your exhaust tips... see post:

Registered
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Alright guys.
I've been watching Wrap tutorials for a while now, and I think I can manage it now to do it myself.
The only problem now is the foil.
There are some webshops selling the foil for about 50CHF per meter. And then +shipping costs it's about 100CHF. That's just bad here in Switzerland..

Does anyone have recommendations where to buy this foil. Or any type of shops where to find it in Switzerland/in general?

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
hi, not sure about the exchange rate.... ebay search for 3M 2080, seller in Northampton ships for around 拢33 for 25metre
Thanks for your tip! I Just got a message from a local car wrap company that I can have 1 meter for an affordable price because they have a lot of it. I'll keep you updated about the finished project.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
So we're a couple of days later now, and I finished the project.
I'm gonna be honest with you guys.
Does it look better than the original chrome trim from a distance? Yeah, especially with my 18inch "Metallah" black rims it looks very good.
Does it look better if you're close to the car? Nope, definetely not.
I'll add some photos so you can see by yourself. It's just not perfect. I have to say that I had absolutely no experience at all. Tho I watched hours long tutorials on YouTube from CKwraps. I expected it to be pretty easy and I thought it would look way better up close. If I knew what the final result would look like in advance, I wouldn't even have thought of it. Also if you're using a (Stanley) knife, maaaan that's risky. Don't do that! Use knifeless tape instead. Luckily I didn't scratch the paint or rubbers or so, but chances are that you will damage something which isn't worth it. Also the final result will look better if you use knifeless tape.

In case you wanna do chrome trim, I recommend to just buy the gloss black trims from a V40CC and buy the normal painted black mirror caps online or pick them up at a junkyard.
But overall, I'll leave it on, because it doesn't look that bad from a distance, my car is unique by now, and I did put a loooooot of effort in it.

Registered
It looks good! I have Carbon Edition and I understand what you want to achieve (y) Besides the roof I would guess it is Carbon Ed if I saw it on the road.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
It looks good! I have Carbon Edition and I understand what you want to achieve (y) Besides the roof I would guess it is Carbon Ed if I saw it on the road.
Yeah just like you're saying, I based my idea on the concept of the Carbon Edition.
The only visual differences are the front bumper which you have gloss black, the roof carbon and the rear diffuser gloss black too.
But overall it looks very good absolutely. Thanks for the kind words!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts