Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I have a volvo v40 d3 diesel ,
the chrome trim around the windows are discoloured i think between the underside of the plastic and the chrome underneath,
i purchased the car from a vovlo dealer in swansea so im the second owener the reg plate was regiastered in 2014 can someone tell me if i can get this replaced under cars warrenty

see pictures

p1040119.jpg

p1040120.jpg

p1040121.jpg

p1040122.jpg

p1040123.jpg

thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have this in parts of my chrome. I'm sure there will be some car care product that will restore these.

I've always found Volvo after care excellent on Volvo Selekt. Worth giving them call about what is covered by warranty

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi,
I have a volvo v40 d3 diesel ,
the chrome trim around the windows are discoloured i think between the underside of the plastic and the chrome underneath,
i purchased the car from a vovlo dealer in swansea so im the second owener the reg plate was regiastered in 2014 can someone tell me if i can get this replaced under cars warrenty

see pictures

View attachment 9378

View attachment 9386

View attachment 9394

View attachment 9402

View attachment 9410

thanks
I dont have chrome trim round the windows on my car. However, my previous car was an Astra and the chrome trim round the quaterlights looked similar -ie looked like they were water stained. The discoleration was under the finish on the trim and could not be cleaned or polished. Vauxhaull first of all tried to fob me off by saying that it was the cleaning materials I had used but I got an independant opinion and they then agreed to change them all - as they did with many others after my fight as I published it on a forum similar to this.
The reason for the deterioration was a reaction from the bonding compound used in the chrome trims. It only occurred on the quaterlights and not on the rest of the trim.
So in my opinion if the chrome trim has deteriorated and the car is still under waranty then yes, they should change them. They will squeal but stick to your guns!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi guys,

thanks for your imput, does anyone know where i can get an independent specialst to take a look before i take it to volvo,
the car was expensive to buy and they have put cheap and nasty chrome and it's not acceptable for a car this expensive to have cheap parts. not happy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have chrone around the front grill of the car and the rear of the car has volvo letters this seems to be of a very good quality, so why put expensive chrome on the rear and the front of the car then put cheap and nasty chrone around the windows

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would take it straight to Volvo in the first instance. It may well be an issue that they are aware of. If you dont get anywhere then look for some independent advice - which will cost you.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Keep us updated. Mine also looks a little like that. I have used chrome cleaner, did not help. I used a good polish and it looked much better. But did not fix the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried Cif Stainless Steel cleaner on a small badly affected area by first applying a small amount to a micro fibre cloth then rubbing lightly along the trim. Left to settle for just a few seconds before removing with a different cloth. The result was great so I applied the same technique to the rest of the trim and I'm well pleased with the outcome. No white mottling at all and left clean and uniform along the length.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts