Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well first car i have had with city safe and must say i am not convinced.

travelling home last week my wife started to go on a roundabout when the car in front stopped suddenly,next thing we know is that we shunted the car in front,the city safe did nothing at all did not even activate as far as i know,it is switched on in the menus.

Now we face an insuarance claim for damage to third party vehicle and £4850 of damage to our v40 that is less than three weeks old.

not impressed at all but will be asking volvo to check the system,anyone else heard anything similair to this?

one sulky owner after 4 month wait for delivery!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Ouch, that is not nice. I sometimes wonder if mine is functioning, because I have now tried a few times to drive up quickly to the garage door, and nothing happens.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine was activated the other day when I decided to very bravely give it a try with a car in front of me, at driving about 12 mph,and it did very successfully come to a full stop. Although the feeling I have to say is not a good one physically and mentally. But I am glad it worked as advertised.

·
Registered
46 Posts
ouch!

:dodgy::huh::eek: Grimsby this sounds very much like a scam as you say the stop suddenly? It was on TV again about there are still gangs out there :mad: setting these crashes up on roundabouts & slip roads Motor ways???

·
Registered
382 Posts
Mine has worked a couple of times when pulling on to the drive a bit sharpish, approaching bushes! Seems to work but I won't be trying it on the M1!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Harsh luck...maybe some "deficiency" in the system that only recognises forward movement when there is throttle input rather than being twatted up the arse from some other numpty...shouldn't be your fault nonetheless, but would be nice to see how your Volvo has faired mind!?

The problem of course is that CitySafe is just an aid and even with Volvo's being the best in the world...it ain't gonna stop the inevitable! Volvo's job is to protect YOU!

·
Registered
71 Posts
That does sound odd, I am sure we'd all be keen to hear the result of the investigation. Mine activated for the first time in a car park at a Sydney airport just this week. I was approaching a exit with one of those automated arms at about 5-8 km ( which is at odds with an earlier post) and I guess the car thought I was gonna hit it and came to a very quick auto stop. A warning light saying 'City Safety Activated' or similar showed on the dash until I acknowledge it. Despite the temptation, I'd never risk testing the feature as some on hear have done as it's obviously a last resort and I'm too chicken anyway!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Well I don't think Volvo dictate this system to be 100% fail safe. If the system is detecting a dark unreflective surface, the chances of it working effectively are reduced against the times when the system is detecting a bright reflective surface. In darkness it's effectiveness will be poor.

·
Registered
748 Posts
So if I understand correctly, it will only engage when coasting ??
No, this is not the case.

I have had it activated 3 times now.

1st was a test driving into a 50" TV Cardboard Box. Worked well.
2nd saved me from rear ending someone, lights went green, woman in front stopped to allow a car out of a side road after initially pulling away. I was distracted by something else. Saved me a rear ender for sure (Thanks Volvo).
3rd was as I was driving up at speed to a hight level road toll barrier, my auto tag will lift the barrier in time, but the V40 had a panic and slammed on. Scared the **** out of me.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Yeah... would have to agree with that...
Before purchasing my dealer set up a collapsible crash barrier right in front of the dealerships floor to ceiling showroom windows...
Had a good quarter of a million bucks worth of new Volvo's inside not to mention several of his salesmen...
He then reversed about 10 meteres away from the barrier & quite literally put his foot down & kept it there (I was watching his feet)

Darn thing nearly popped my eyeballs out when it activated!! :surprise:
Pretty safe to assume as the barrier had Volvo written all over it that it wasn't the first time he'd demonstrated it in action!
Impressed the "boss" immensely too as she was in the back seat & told me later she too had a Marty Feldman eye moment when city safe activated :)
Signed on the dotted line there & then...
He didn't know it of course but I had already decided the V40 was my next car anyways as several very "active" test drives had already convinced me :)
Citysafe along with the other gizmo's provided by the DSP are just the icing on the cake for me... Nice to have but not essential.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've had mine activate a few times, once whilst I was even braking myself but the car obviously thought I needed help!

There are a lot of variables for when the system won't activate, like the second reply said, if you literally are just rolling it wouldn't, but by the sounds of your damage you were doing more that rolling. I would suggest that if you have stopped and then accelerate (on a mission as if you would when pulling onto a roundabout in haste) the system would simply not react.

My old man gave me a tip years ago for roundabouts, if you're not at the front of the queue, you should be looking forward - fail safe for idiots stopping or not going.

·
Registered
382 Posts
In all my 18 years driving I have never had an accident. A few months back though I came my closest, on a roundabout I was concentrating on traffic flow saw a break and decided to pull away only the car in front of me stopped, I thought in my perefery vision that he was also pulling away as I looked in front he wasn't the city safe did its magic and I stopped sharpish!
And felt a bit of an idiot at my lapse of concentration and a near costly mistake.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.