Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you provoked the City Safety system into coming into operation yet? You can't have any confidence in it until you've proved it works!
:D

·
Registered
52 Posts
The sales person took me to a demo area in a v60 and showed me how it works. She just asked me to get into the car, and was explaining the interior features to me. Then she asked me to buckle up and was showing me the start up, which parts were similar, which parts were different. She then popped the gear into D and the car started to creep forwards to a mobile barrier. All this while she is looking and talking to me.

The city safety system kicked in and we were about a foot off the barrier! Impressive as that is the usual situation where these fender benders can happen.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have had a similar experience with the parking barrier at work. Having passed through the barrier so many times over the past years you 'learn' the when the barrier swings up and time your passing quite closely. City safety had other thoughts and performed an emergency brake. Now I'm more cautious at the barriers but as you mentioned, now also more confident of the City Safety functionality.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The city safety kicked in yesterday at my V40. I was second at the lights and when the green light appeared the first car suddenly performed a U-turn. I turned right to avoid the colision and at the same time the city safety kicked in. It didn't stop the car completely and to be true there was no real reason to kick in. However it didn't feel dangerous at all considering that I had another car behind me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
volver said:
The city safety kicked in yesterday at my V40. I was second at the lights and when the green light appeared the first car suddenly performed a U-turn. I turned right to avoid the colision and at the same time the city safety kicked in. It didn't stop the car completely and to be true there was no real reason to kick in. However it didn't feel dangerous at all considering that I had another car behind me.
havent been brave enough to test my city safety yet

volvo 154

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
I had 2 Fridays ago the unfortunate pleasure of experiencing it. Dropped my kids off at school, come out of the neighbor hood into the main road, 2 lanes both side, with island in the middle. So cross the oncoming traffic, onto the island, and this dude wants to turn into the houses.

So I look at him and see I can go as traffic is clear in front of me, next moment there is this white Hyundai in front of me, car stopped 1 foot from him. I would have smacked him on his driver door.

·
Registered
37 Posts
mine kicks in occasionally at the boom gate when im getting into work.
i guess im used to late braking with my honda and the volvo gets itself into a panic with the security guard looking at me like i stole the car...
it does work very well though.

·
451 Posts
Question (guess I am lazy enough to look this up at the manual):
When the city safety system kicks in and stops the car, is there any message display afterwards ?
If no, then this will ease my frustration as if the system works alright on my car!
Thank you for answering this.

·
Registered
227 Posts
city safety

well I tried to test it as I was told it works .had a large piece of polystyrene in the middle of my warehouse was about 2 meters tall by two meters wide I hung it from the roof and drove up to it tried it three times I am still waiting for the car to stop .so I though maybe I must cover it with something so hung a piece of tarp over it .still hit it so don't know what activates it .taking car to dealer to get it checked .The piece touched the floor so no gaps under it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Question (guess I am lazy enough to look this up at the manual):
When the city safety system kicks in and stops the car, is there any message display afterwards ?
If no, then this will ease my frustration as if the system works alright on my car!
Thank you for answering this.
Mine has activated twice on me, a message displays on the dash which says something like "city safety activated" and the orange warning light displays. You have to cancel the message by the ok button on the indicator stalk.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Activated mine this week (about a day after posting that I'd never set it off). Was in traffic, moving at about 10mph and got distracted by something. Car in front stopped, I looked up and hit the brakes to find the pedal already down and the car stationary displaying "Automatic braking activated" or something.

I think I would've avoided hitting the car (just) anyway, but it's good to know it works.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Somewhere i read that the object has to be shiny or reflective - this is not the case for tarp or polystyrene. Mine has been activated twice by shiny leaves from a bush!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
shiny

Somewhere i read that the object has to be shiny or reflective - this is not the case for tarp or polystyrene. Mine has been activated twice by shiny leaves from a bush!!!
ok will try it with a shiny surface car is going in Monday for a check as my park assit pilot get confused when im driving it says space to small but im doing 150kph .I would need a big space to park there. lol but it only gets confused when in sport mode with dst switched off.

·
451 Posts
In the past I expressed my doubts about city safety being active to the dealer personnel. Their answer was: a) the way I drive will almost never activate the system b) It needs a metallic object to do the trick. I haven't tested with, say, a metallic foil yet, but I intend to do it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Part of me is eager to test mine works. The other part is scared it won't and I'll ding the company car!

·
Registered
191 Posts
It was explained to me (by my dealer, so take it as you will) that City Safety has to be fairly sure that the object in front is a vehicle. I understand reflectivity plays a part in the decision logic, which would explain why the system doesn't respond to tarps, cardboard boxes, or polystyrene.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts