Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now the winter has set in, in the UK, I've had time to see how the heating system works. I can't say I'm that impressed with the auto climate. Firstly when on auto heating (as opposed to cooling) most of the air is put through the floor vents and very little through the dash - perhaps that's normal? Anyone else have this?

Also at a setting of 26c (high in my opinion) I can't say the car stays very warm (and I don't get cold easily).

My car has a history of problems with the aircon (although not like this) so wondering if it's a fault or just a sub-par system.

Anyone else have any issues with this?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi, I have had no problem on my D2. The dual zone thingy works fine. I did turn the temp up to 26C the other day when I was a bit on the cold side but after short time it got too hot and I went back down to 21-22C which is where I normally have it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Works nice for me too, no problems, got it set at 21 most of the time and it's quite enough. It heats the interior so smooth that I don't even feel where the air is coming from. The only time I felt it was a bit off mark was on one cold, windy and sunny day - I guess the aircon overestimated the sun (and obviously could not offset the chilling effect of the wind).

---------------------
Volvo V40 D2 Momentum, Ice White, Premium Sound, BLIS+LKA+RSI, TFT Display, Heated Windscreen, Rear Park Assist, Active High Beam, Power Child Lock

·
Registered
945 Posts
The heating will be blown to the floor as heat rises this is the logical place to direct it.

Re it not staying warm, do you mean after you have turned the car off or turned the temp down , if the later again this is what it is supposed to do I.e. lowing the temp ASAP to the new lower temp

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The heating will be blown to the floor as heat rises this is the logical place to direct it.

Re it not staying warm, do you mean after you have turned the car off or turned the temp down , if the later again this is what it is supposed to do I.e. lowing the temp ASAP to the new lower temp
I thought that might be the case with the floor vents but was interested to know if others experienced this.

With regards to staying warm, I didn't really explain properly. If I were to blast the heating on hi temp and fan, and then set say to 26 on auto it doesn't seem to keep the temp at 26 (not that I've tested with a temp gauge). I was on a long journey yday with outside temp of 7/8C (i.e. not that cold) and I wasn't that warm with climate on 26. If I had it on 21 then it would definitely be too cold.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Temperature sensors usually cannot react very quickly to temperature changes; It takes some time for the air and casing around it to reach the desired temperature. Meanwhile, until that happens, the air around you will have actually gone OVER the desired temperature. When you then turn the air con off, the sensor and everything around it takes some time to cool, and in the meantime the air around you will have cooled down faster, and the temperature difference will actually be more noticeable (since you actually went over the desired temperature). You don't feel heating coming in and you feel colder as well.

For me, this was particularly apparent in my old Astra, I guess the placement and quality of the sensor play a role.

What I suggest (and what worked for me) is to try to build up to desired temperature slowly, instead of going for max and then decreasing. Try to set it at 19, then after you feel the heat coming in raise to 20, then two minutes later to 21... See if that works for you, if not then there must be something wrong.

---------------------
Volvo V40 D2 Momentum, Ice White, Premium Sound, BLIS+LKA+RSI, TFT Display, Heated Windscreen, Rear Park Assist, Active High Beam, Power Child Lock

·
Registered
395 Posts
Mine is going back shortly for them to check the climate as when the setting is the same for both sides and directed at the floor very little air comes out of the driver's side. On a trip the passenger side was heating up nicely and my legs were cold. They can, apparently, check the settings via computer.
OldCroc

·
Registered
945 Posts
In theory tou should not have to put it on max, just put it on your desired temp and the system should do the rest, by heating it up and then setting it to a lower, the desired temp) will confuse it and make te system through out cold air to reduce the temp to what you desired.

Set it to 24 and leave it the and it should be fine, warm

·
Registered
117 Posts
In theory tou should not have to put it on max, just put it on your desired temp and the system should do the rest, by heating it up and then setting it to a lower, the desired temp) will confuse it and make te system through out cold air to reduce the temp to what you desired.

Set it to 24 and leave it the and it should be fine, warm
Warm? I leave mine at 19.5 & I'm plenty warm.

24 deg'c in a car & i'd be breaking out the t-shirt & shorts

·
Registered
273 Posts
An interesting post that seems to have all the logical answers covered! I can sort of relate to it in that sometimes I find the temperature I set it at is higher than i'd have put it i.e. i'll need it on 23 degrees some days which seems excessive...but I have to say that via the computer I have the fan speed set to low and very rarely have to change it from 20degrees on Auto...perhaps that's because i'm always toasting my backside! Good luck if it is a glitch. Darren

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.