Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a MY17 D2, what's the cold start procedure? Do you turn the ignition on first to allow pre heat or do you just dump the clutch and start straight from cold and pre heat happens automatically?

Thanks

·
Registered
66Plate V40 D2 Momentum Nav Plus in Mussel Blue
20 Posts
I just put the key in, dump the clutch and press the start button and hey presto it starts...No waiting or pre-heat.
Do you suspect you have a problem?

Hope this helps,

Alan

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just put the key in, dump the clutch and press the start button and hey presto it starts...No waiting or pre-heat.
Do you suspect you have a problem?

Hope this helps,

Alan
Not particularly but noticed yesterday which was probably the coldest morning we have had so far 4c I pressed the button and there was a slight delay before the starter started so was unsure if it took a moment to pre heat to take place.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ok..I have only had my D2 V40 a few months and it is garaged but currently I have no delay on starting at all. All instant starting for me....So far!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok..I have only had my D2 V40 a few months and it is garaged but currently I have no delay on starting at all. All instant starting for me....So far!
Yeah mine has been too until yesterday, I'll monitor it, I've only had mine a few months too so haven't had it through a cold spell yet.

Just had a warranty recall done on it yesterday, took it into the dealer a few weeks ago to have the factory dog guard fitted and said there was a fire risk with the cause of the inlet manifold so they had it back in yesterday and took care of it paid for by Volvo.

Yours I see is the same engine so might be worth getting it checked.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My wife just started it and took it to work and all was fine but it's not as cold today. Think I'm probably looking for something that's not there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good one, pleased all ok!
Re-Inlet manifold safety recall.. I will give my local dealer a call. Thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good one, pleased all ok!
Re-Inlet manifold safety recall.. I will give my local dealer a call. Thanks.
Yeah, wasn't picked up until they done the usual free inspection. Let us know what they say.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re-your Inlet Manifold recall.
Well I decided to call into my local dealer, Marshall, Derby who were very helpful and checked the car also looked and checked on the the Volvo system and said that there is no inlet manifold recall needed for my car and remarked that the inlet bleeder pipe was replaced under a recall last year.
So all good for me it seems, thanks for the info though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re-your Inlet Manifold recall.
Well I decided to call into my local dealer, Marshall, Derby who were very helpful and checked the car also looked and checked on the the Volvo system and said that there is no inlet manifold recall needed for my car and remarked that the inlet bleeder pipe was replaced under a recall last year.
So all good for me it seems, thanks for the info though.
That's what I've had done, the pipe thing 👍🏻 glad you're up to speed. That's what the fire risk was.

·
Registered
721 Posts
You will find as it gets colder that delay increases.

But no manual process to follow.

Get in, key in, clutch down and press the button.
Winter time, the car will pause with the coils on for a few seconds before turning the engine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you chiptivo, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thought it was my imagination. My other car is a diesel Mokka, turn the key and wait for the glow plug light to go out then start the car.

·
Registered
721 Posts
You may find another couple of things when the temp drops below 6C

The rear demister/heated window will magically come on and will show on your button in the car (also includes the heated side mirrors if you have that option).
The above can be switched off in the car menu.
Personally I switch it off as I don't want the wear and tear on the window heater element when not required when 80% of the time it isn't at just under 6C.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Before my V40 T3 Petrol I had a Leon 2.0TDI diesel, and yes in the cold mornings (on a few occasions I had to scrape snow off my windscreen) it may take a fraction longer to run the ignition before the engine cranks to life.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You may find another couple of things when the temp drops below 6C

The rear demister/heated window will magically come on and will show on your button in the car (also includes the heated side mirrors if you have that option).
The above can be switched off in the car menu.
Personally I switch it off as I don't want the wear and tear on the window heater element when not required when 80% of the time it isn't at just under 6C.
Yes I have noticed that and may well switch them off. I've got the heated mirrors too along with the heated windscreen and heated seats, think that's the winter pack isn't it? Just thought I was imaging the delay between pressing the button and the starter motor starting.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Yes I have noticed that and may well switch them off. I've got the heated mirrors too along with the heated windscreen and heated seats, think that's the winter pack isn't it? Just thought I was imaging the delay between pressing the button and the starter motor starting.
Yeah, the Winter pack.
Took me two years to realise that the front screen demister button has both AIR and ELECTRIC Heaters on 1 or 2 presses.
It heats up the screen/cabin with an electric heater rather than waiting for the engine to warm up.

Great for warming you up on cold mornings.

I find engine heat from diesels is not really hot enough

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, the Winter pack.
Took me two years to realise that the front screen demister button has both AIR and ELECTRIC Heaters on 1 or 2 presses.
It heats up the screen/cabin with an electric heater rather than waiting for the engine to warm up.

Great for warming you up on cold mornings.

I find engine heat from diesels is not really hot enough
Yes it certainly gets toasty, I had a safety recall done yesterday, inlet manifold pipe or something so they lent me a XC60 B5 hybrid auto, that was a bit of a monster and boy was it quick. Volvo seem to be steering away from diesels these days, wasn't that long ago when it was the best thing since sliced bread. Modern diesels are by far better and cleaner than petrol engines. They should concentrate of getting the smokey heaps off the road.

That car I borrowed was 55k to buy, seems like you can't buy anything new for much under 35k anymore, wouldn't mind a XC40 next time round but they are too new and too expensive at the moment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts