Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to see if this feature works - but cant seem to get it to work, or maybe I am not going fast enough etc.

Does anyone know how it works exactly or how to test it? My V40 does not have the pedestrian version - only the version that will stop you back ending the car in front.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I also want to test mine, think I should ask some willing people in my family to hold up a blanket in front of the car and see if it stops.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I think for the basic version, you must be doing less than 18mph. I have had mine activate a couple of times as I approached the closed garage door.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I think for the basic version, you must be doing less than 18mph. I have had mine activate a couple of times as I approached the closed garage door.
Didn't it get upgraded to 31mph on the V40's?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Didn't it get upgraded to 31mph on the V40's?
It did.

Volvo's City Safety low-speed collision avoidance system operates at speeds up to 31 mph on the V40 (currently 19mph on other Volvo models).
and from the current brochure :
Included as standard on the All-New V40 is City Safety, which senses potential collisions (active from 2 to 31 mph) and can activate the brakes should you not react in time.

The car will come to a complete stop below 19mph, but will drastically reduce the damage - it does not guarantee to stop the car between 19-31 mph.

The pedestrian safety is the airbag under the bonnet, also standard on all V40's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It did.

Volvo's City Safety low-speed collision avoidance system operates at speeds up to 31 mph on the V40 (currently 19mph on other Volvo models).
and from the current brochure :
Included as standard on the All-New V40 is City Safety, which senses potential collisions (active from 2 to 31 mph) and can activate the brakes should you not react in time.

The car will come to a complete stop below 19mph, but will drastically reduce the damage - it does not guarantee to stop the car between 19-31 mph.

The pedestrian safety is the airbag under the bonnet, also standard on all V40's.
pedestrian safety is optional in South Africa

·
Registered
202 Posts
pedestrian safety is optional in South Africa
The system to detect and brake for pedestrians? That's an option in all markets I think.
Or do you mean the pedestrian airbag?

·
Registered
221 Posts
The system to detect and brake for pedestrians? That's an option in all markets I think.
Or do you mean the pedestrian airbag?
Standard on all UK spec V40's - I thought it was worldwide, my mistake indeed. South Africa both are optional on the entire range, not even the top model gets it as standard :huh:

·
Registered
9 Posts
My dealer put a plastic fence up to show that it worked on mine. It seems to make a ratcheting sound as it stops. It kicked in a couple of weeks ago when I was slowly pulling into a parking spot in a supermarket car park. It must have 'seen' a branch of an overgrown shrub as a solid thing.

I don't think I would have the confidence to try it out on a wall :) - The blanket idea is good. I think it would probably work using a roll of wallpaper or even kitchen towel.

·
Registered
273 Posts
mine has activated twice now on the approach to the Dartford Crossing barriers and being a bit ahead of myself lol...it feels like you've hit the brakes across a grate or something it's so fierce...wouldn't want to practice with it but glad it's there!

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Darren, you explained it better than my 'ratchet' description. I read somewhere that it is intentionally uncomfortable to stop people using it as a matter of course. I kind of feels like damage is being done; as if the engine has seized up - not a good feeling (apart from the relief that the car is still intact :) )

I've only done the Dartford crossing once since I got it but traffic was crawling! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you check out this thread : http://www.volvov40club.com/forums/...ussion/1929-5th-gear-city-safety-testing.html

I think it's one of those things you shouldn't even try and test. It's a supplementary system to support good driving habits and I reckon you're asking for trouble if you try and test to see if it works.
No, I don't agree. You should test out those features to see how it feels when it kick in. I did an advanced driving course once (focus on anti-spin) on a circuit. They had cars with ABS wich they could switch on and off with a button on the dash. Later in the course, they would activate it to show you how ABS works, how it feels and thus show you what it actually is for.
That was an eye opener. I always try the ABS in my car. Obviously under safe circumstances. I won't hit the brakes on the freeway at 120km/h... ;)

So with the city safety, I plan on testing it with a cardboard box on the middle of the street. Ofcouse, I'll check for traffic and real pedestrians, but I just want to know if it works and how it works. Just hoping that it will is pointless. If Volvo makes a lot of fuzz about it, I want to check it out. Just because I can ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Maybe you should test the airbags too : )

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I think the chances of the car stopping for a person dressed in none reflective clothing, such as all black, are significantly reduced. I personally think testing this system is a bit silly. I wonder what the insurance company would think when a claim is registered with the front of the car all damaged. "Oh but I was just making sure the safety systems work". I suspect the insurance company will take a dim view in such a case? :). Testing it is not recommended, it is not fail safe. Testing with a soft card board box is of course preferable. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Collision Warning

Hi Ziggy,
You may be getting confused between Collision Warning with full auto brake and City Safety. City Safety should be standard in all markets and detects large objects like cars which works up to 50Km/h and Collision Warning is usually part of Adaptive Cruise Control which is usually an option and effective from 0 - 200Km/h. You will have a row of lights on top of the dashboard which simulate a brake light in front of you and the cruise control buttons will have a short line and a long line to enable changes to the length of sensor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had my City Safety activated like 3 times already.

No real collision danger though and I found it very annoying that the system activated.

One time I was just parking in a lot. I think the system thought I came in to fast or something...

Other two times were when passing a boom barrier. It opens after licence-plate recognition so I know it opens up in time and continue driving to to barrier but my City Safety doesn't like that...

I can't disable it permanently though. Only temporarily at two points in My Car menu. One under 'My V40' and one under settings but both re-enable the next time I start my car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts