Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to connect my maintenance battery charger (CTEK) to my wifes 2017 V40 T2 automatic. I understand all the methods etc but what I need help with is:

The manual talks of the negative earth to chassis being made by the right hand engine mount but unhelpfully the diagram doesn't show the location that it recommends. Looking under the bonnet there is on the left hand side adjacent to the battery housing a welded, but painted, bracket fitted to the chassis. This doesnt appear to have any function other than maybe as the chassis earth for battery charging/maintenance. It has what I think is an earth lead from elsewhere on the car which is fixed, with an eye and bolt, to the chassis adjacent to this bracket. Maybe the manuals havent been updated to match the later design?

Question is. Is it the proper earth point and if not where would you use as an earth point. Sorry to be a Jimmy Green about this but I am aware that incorrect connections can cause havoc with modern car electronics.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have to connect my maintenance battery charger (CTEK) to my wifes 2017 V40 T2 automatic. I understand all the methods etc but what I need help with is:

The manual talks of the negative earth to chassis being made by the right hand engine mount but unhelpfully the diagram doesn't show the location that it recommends. Looking under the bonnet there is on the left hand side adjacent to the battery housing a welded, but painted, bracket fitted to the chassis. This doesnt appear to have any function other than maybe as the chassis earth for battery charging/maintenance. It has what I think is an earth lead from elsewhere on the car which is fixed, with an eye and bolt, to the chassis adjacent to this bracket. Maybe the manuals havent been updated to match the later design?

Question is. Is it the proper earth point and if not where would you use as an earth point. Sorry to be a Jimmy Green about this but I am aware that incorrect connections can cause havoc with modern car electronics.
Thanks in advance
Hi you’re right the earth to use is the black wire with the bolt to the right of the battery.you have to use a small round file on the eyelet to make it fit the bolt.
150699E2-A73D-42C7-A901-FA626285603F.jpeg

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ctek sell fly lead connectors with different sized ring terminal connectors, so buying the right one would save the filing job ;)

But if you're only using the crocodile clip connector, you don't need that anyway. And any earth point on the car will do, but the one next to the battery is obviously most convenient.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I used the earth point by the nearside headlamp, the bolt is slightly thinner and so the terminal connector fits without filing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
In the Owners Manual it is stated:
"Connect the other clamp to a grounding point, e.g. right-hand engine mounting at the top, the outer screw head."

Note, that on cars, when it is stated "left" or "right" for some part, it means from the driver's point of view, sitting in his driver's seat.

I understand it as this point here. This bolt here is solid and not painted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts