Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Firstly great site, I'm very happy I found this forum.

I live in Australia and a couple of months ago test drove a V40 T5 R-Design. I love the styling and interior of the car, and the Engine is great too, however I drove the 6 speed automatic and I found it rather slow, I felt like I told it to change gears and then 2 seconds later it finally shifted, I don't know if thats normal?

Anyway, it put me off buying the car, however I've been keeping an eye on volvo and I have read that there may be new V40's coming with new engines and new 8 speed gear boxes? Does anyone have anymore information on this and how that gear box compares to the old one?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am in talks with my dealer at the moment. I was told that the new engines will be available start of september. I was given the brochure for the MY15 which confirms the new engine types.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Bob,

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. Having decided last year that the V40 was the car to replace our 5-year old C30 T5, I held off making the switch largely because I knew these new engines and transmissions were coming to the Volvo range and eventually would end up in the V40. As I've said in previous posts, we're in the luxurious position of being able to wait - we have a perfectly good and reliable C30 and therefore are in no real hurry.

When I last spoke to a Volvo salesperson in February she was unclear (at that stage) about what new engines would be coming to the Australian-spec V40s and the timing, but suggested it certainly wouldn't be before the MY15 models start to appear in showrooms usually around Sept/Oct at the earliest. We know from the Volvo International website there are two new engines matched to the new 8-speed auto - the T5 petrol and D4 diesel - coming to the V40. However this doesn't mean we will get these engines downunder. My personal opinion is that we will probably get the new D4 for the V40, but may pass up on the new T5. One reason for this is that we already know that because the new engines are not mated to any AWD drivetrain (and are not likely to be in the near future), the 5-cylinder T5 engine in the V40 CC T5 AWD variant will be continuing unchanged. Volvo Australia may decide to do the same for the standard V40 T5.

You are correct about the current 6-speed auto. To Volvo's credit over the years when it first appeared in the 2008 S80/XC70, they have improved it - but its still not the smoothest or quickest self-shifter out there. This new 8-speed auto (and the new T5 and T6 engines) have been out and about in other Volvos (the 60 series Volvos) in Europe since late last year and in the US since early this year. Apart from one review in a pre-production S60, I've read nothing but praise about the new auto with favourable comparisons with BMW's benchmark 8-speed auto. Spend some time over in the Swedespeed forums (the S60/V60 sub-forum in particular) and you will see what I mean. Its interesting to note from the Volvo International website for the V40 D4, the 8-speed auto is actually quicker to 100 km/h than the 6-speed manual.

Here in Australia we will have an opportunity to test drive the new engines (although probably only the T5) and 8-speed auto when they are launched in the S60, V60 and XC60 anytime soon. They were originally going to be launched locally in April, so hopefully it can't be too far off. Keep a watch on the various Australian car websites (Car Advice, CarPoint, Drive, Go Auto, The Motor Report etc).

Tony

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks guys, does anyone know if the 2015 brochure is avaliable online?

From what I can see the new t5 is down on kW/hp?
Bob,

Saw this post after I had replied above. No, the 2015 e-brochures are not available yet and given the typically glacial speed with which Volvo Australia updates their website don't expect to see them until the MY15 models have actually been on sale for a couple of months. Best bet would be to talk directly with a Volvo dealer but even then, don't expect any firm details about MY15 models until July/August at the earliest.

Yes the new T5 is down on power from the old T5 (180 vs 187 kW). For the V40 this is reflected in a slightly slower time to 100 km/h (6.3 sec vs 6.1 sec for the old). However its the 25% improvement in fuel economy together with the $150/year saving in registration costs (going from a 5-cylinder engine to a 4-cylinder) that interests me.

Also seriously considering the new D4. 7.2 sec 0-100km/h for a diesel is not too bad.

Tony

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bob,
Saw this post after I had replied above. No, the 2015 e-brochures are not available yet and given the typically glacial speed with which Volvo Australia updates their website don't expect to see them until the MY15 models have actually been on sale for a couple of months. Best bet would be to talk directly with a Volvo dealer but even then, don't expect any firm details about MY15 models until July/August at the earliest.
Yes the new T5 is down on power from the old T5 (180 vs 187 kW). For the V40 this is reflected in a slightly slower time to 100 km/h (6.3 sec vs 6.1 sec for the old). However its the 25% improvement in fuel economy together with the $150/year saving in registration costs (going from a 5-cylinder engine to a 4-cylinder) that interests me.
Also seriously considering the new D4. 7.2 sec 0-100km/h for a diesel is not too bad.
Tony
I am at work at the moment but once I get home I will upload the MY15 brochure I was given by the dealer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks heaps for all of your replies. To be honest I'm rather confused about which car to go for. The Volvo v40 is still high on my list, but I'm also considering a golf R MK7, audio s3 or a second hand (near new) BMW.

Thanks for offering to upload the brochure as well Briss. Looking forward to looking through it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wish I knew the answer to that.... I guess if the old T5 r-design is more to my liking than the new one then I can probably pick up one of those cheaper somewhere.. although the Golf R/S3 is a 2 litre and does 0-100 ~5 seconds so I don't see why there has to be turbo lag issues??

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am at work at the moment but once I get home I will upload the MY15 brochure I was given by the dealer.
Sorry Briss - but what is your location? From one of your other posts I had deduced you were based in the UK and therefore I'm assuming you are talking about the MY15 brochure for the UK market? If so, its probably not going to be too relevant to our Australian market. Still, it would be interesting to look at.

Tony

·
Registered
22 Posts
You are correct Brissim i'm in the UK sorry if it caused any confusion. If you still want to look at the UK version i'm guessing the link is on my profile page.

Briss

·
Registered
225 Posts
Briss - thanks for posting the MY15 catalogue which I picked up from your other thread.

Even though it is for the UK market it does however give a pointer for what we may expect downunder. It confirms that both the new T5 and D4 Drive-E engines and 8-speed auto will be available for the V40 in the UK. As we generally follow what the UK market gets (because we are both one of the few RHD markets), this looks promising for us to also get both of the new engines.

On a personal level, bit disappointed to see they have dropped the Biarritz blue from the exterior colours in favour of (I suspect) a new Power Blue from the S60/V60 range. Again, these are the exterior colours we can expect to see on Aussie-spec V40s.

Also notice a typo in the Technical specifications at the end where the new T5 engine is listed as having 5 cylinders. Of course it has only four.

Thanks again,

Tony

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been very confused as this MY15 brochure is the only one i've ever had, so hearing people talk about the Biarritz blue had me wondering why it wasn't available.
I'm most excited about the low emissions from the D4 manual, currently i drive a 2010 Land rover discovery 4 and my yearly car tax is £475. It will be nice to pay nothing due to the V40's clean engine.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Biarritz Blue MY15

I also noticed that Biarritz Blue dissappeared. Does this mean that cars of this colour will be something like collector's items !:p Or is it just renamed?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.