Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve just bought a used v40 D2 15 plate from a Peter vardy dealership. About a week after driving the car I got a low coolant level warning appear on the dash. After topping it back up I noticed that it kept a falling again and so I took it into get looked at. The dealership performed a pressure test and said it was normal but that they removed an air lock inside the system. Got the car back and it’s still having the same issue, it seems to be worse when the engines under a heavier load for example if I’m accelerating a lot in 3rd. Any ideas what I should do?

·
Registered
341 Posts
This is most probably a head gasket issue. Let your dealer solve it under warranty.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The only cars I have ever owned where coolant levels drop are ones that have had an issue somewhere. There's no way the dealer can say that is normal so I'd insist they keep it till they can guarantee they have fixed it.

·
Registered
Volvo V40 Momentum R-Design D2, 2017
68 Posts
If you do not get the issue solved by the dealership, here is some advice:
go to another professionals, get a deeply check to all the symptoms and one clear check of the head gasket of any major problem is a contrast liquid that they inject in the coolant system and then if it has a leak it will appear somewhere, then you get this diagnoses and face up to the dealership to fix it in warranty... don't let time pass!

·
Registered
341 Posts
In another topic on low coolant level, they talk about a sniffer, to sniff for exhaust gas in the cooling system. Can be usefull for you also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had to go all Karen on them but finally after arguing with the dealership they’re gonna take it back in and apparently send it to Volvo to be checked so hopefully that’ll fix my issues. I was seriously considering returning the car because the undercarriage fell off while I was driving it was well. Had a look underneath and a bunch of fixtures were missing and rubber washers were used to repair and hold it in place in the past. Not sure if they’ll replace the undercarriage as well but I would’ve expected them to repair it properly before selling me the car. Maybe I’m mad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts