Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guy’s, wondering if anyone can help. I’ve been having issues with my coolant levels in my v40 d2. Basically I keep getting a coolant low warning when I do long or fast motorway driving. When I check the reservoir it is indeed below the minimum however when I ease the cap off slowly it comes right back up to the max and the warning goes away. It can happen a few times on one drive and is really annoying. Sent it to the dealership (not a Volvo dealer) twice now and they insist that there’s nothing wrong with it

·
Registered
354 Posts
Why do you start a new topic for the same issue that you have reported some time ago?
Seems like there is a high pressure built-up in your cooling system. Most probably caused by a little crack in the head gasket.
If you still have warranty, keep pushing your dealer to fix it!
If not, go somewhere else to have it investigated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi guy’s, wondering if anyone can help. I’ve been having issues with my coolant levels in my v40 d2. Basically I keep getting a coolant low warning when I do long or fast motorway driving. When I check the reservoir it is indeed below the minimum however when I ease the cap off slowly it comes right back up to the max and the warning goes away. It can happen a few times on one drive and is really annoying. Sent it to the dealership (not a Volvo dealer) twice now and they insist that there’s nothing wrong with it
Have you taken your car to the volvo dealers as there has been a recall to do with a breather pipe on the radiator I think ..... if you check on dvla website for mot checks and scroll down it will tell you of any outstanding recall just by putting your reg number in .....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve booked it in to Volvo for Tuesday, I’m just worried that they don’t find anything either. It seems to only happen when I’m in the car and if they can’t find any fault I’ll end up paying £144 for an investigation fee.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Omg .... never had that charge for an investigation from my dealer ..... which dealer do you use.......
It’s a taggarts Volvo in Glasgow and I know it’s absolutely mental. If they find an issue that’s covered under my warranty then I won’t have to pay but I will if there’s no fault found. It’s so weird and worried me as Peter vardy haven’t been able to find the problem despite having the car twice

·
Registered
33 Posts
It’s a taggarts Volvo in Glasgow and I know it’s absolutely mental. If they find an issue that’s covered under my warranty then I won’t have to pay but I will if there’s no fault found. It’s so weird and worried me as Peter vardy haven’t been able to find the problem despite having the car twice
A little to far away from my dealership in Newbury then ... ..mine is out of warranty now but had a problem with being able to put fuel in mine ...... booked it in they couldn't find a problem....... but also didn't charge .......I think I've found a gem of a main dealer that still has the values a good garage should to make customers return to use them

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue with mine, took it back to dealer (non Volvo) had it for 3 days couldn’t find anything wrong. Took it to Volvo dealer in Stirling, 2 hours later they confirmed it was the cylinder head gasket.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I have a 2015 V40 D4 R Design version and similar problem happened to me a coolant hose popped off under pressure, volvo replaced hose for €200 and I got them to flush through coolant system to make sure no blockages , go to Main dealer, believe it or not if they say its fixed and or nothing is wrong something happens you can is covered

They pressure tested the coolant system and done so much more I no longer have the issue air gets into the system causing this issue small garage will not test it properly
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update for you all... Volvo found something wrong with the cylinder or something like that. Huge repair but it should still be covered under the warranty. As far as I know, Peter Vardy are haggling with Volvo on prices right now. Hopefully it'll be repaired soon but I worry that this might happen again when it is out of warranty. From what I can see this is a very common issue with V40's and I've seen so many horror stories. Is there any way I can prevent it from happening in the future? Like any kind of preventative maintenance? I bought a Volvo because I thought they were supposed to be reliable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Update for you all... Volvo found something wrong with the cylinder or something like that. Huge repair but it should still be covered under the warranty. As far as I know, Peter Vardy are haggling with Volvo on prices right now. Hopefully it'll be repaired soon but I worry that this might happen again when it is out of warranty. From what I can see this is a very common issue with V40's and I've seen so many horror stories. Is there any way I can prevent it from happening in the future? Like any kind of preventative maintenance? I bought a Volvo because I thought they were supposed to be reliable.
Would this be related to the last recall?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not from what I can tell, Volvo nor Peter Vardy mentioned anything to me about the recall. I don’t actually know a lot about that actually and if it effected my car
You can check on the dvla website that checks for mot history if there are outstanding recalls by
,scroll down of the page...... I actually picked up on the recall in question there before my dealer knew anything about it

·
Registered
4 Posts
New video by ReganieK9

So back to volvo I go,

coolant leaking from back of reservoir,

These cars when they where first came out, volvo covered the repair of hundreds of cracked cylinder heads, prior to 40,000km on the clocks,

Volvo has told me that it is €435 for inspection to test cylinder heads or inspection to see if the is a blockage in the coolant system

€200 odd for coolant system flush
Or €1500 odd for redoing the head gasket,

Do not buy one of these balls of crap they are fun to drive but when they fail the fail big,

2015 V40 Rdesign 2.0L 190Bhp

So far I have had

IAT SENSOR replaced (Reduced Engine Performance warning)

MAF SENSOR replaced Reduced Engine Performance Warning)

EGR valve replaced

ROCKET COVER SEALS replaced
This cause a leak which looks like its it sourced at the back of the engine

AIR INTAKE MANIFOLD replaced (plus pipe at the back of the engine that was block not covered under recall but must be changed or fault comes up after intake came and new software changed)

This is meant to be a high performance engine, it is not up to the cut, this is the same engine in all 2.0L Volvo now and this model

discontinued the V40 is Done because of all the problems

These engines are dirt

The need regular fuel treatments to keep the engine working well only use diptane, not stp or any thing aggressive as they eat seals

Hood Fluid Gas Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

This is a common

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
View attachment 17487 View attachment 17488 New video by ReganieK9

So back to volvo I go,

coolant leaking from back of reservoir,

These cars when they where first came out, volvo covered the repair of hundreds of cracked cylinder heads, prior to 40,000km on the clocks,

Volvo has told me that it is €435 for inspection to test cylinder heads or inspection to see if the is a blockage in the coolant system

€200 odd for coolant system flush
Or €1500 odd for redoing the head gasket,

Do not buy one of these balls of crap they are fun to drive but when they fail the fail big,

2015 V40 Rdesign 2.0L 190Bhp

So far I have had

IAT SENSOR replaced (Reduced Engine Performance warning)

MAF SENSOR replaced Reduced Engine Performance Warning)

EGR valve replaced

ROCKET COVER SEALS replaced
This cause a leak which looks like its it sourced at the back of the engine

AIR INTAKE MANIFOLD replaced (plus pipe at the back of the engine that was block not covered under recall but must be changed or fault comes up after intake came and new software changed)

This is meant to be a high performance engine, it is not up to the cut, this is the same engine in all 2.0L Volvo now and this model

discontinued the V40 is Done because of all the problems

These engines are dirt

The need regular fuel treatments to keep the engine working well only use diptane, not stp or any thing aggressive as they eat seals

View attachment 17488

This is a common
Might not be the case for you but I also noticed coolant below the expansion tank. Turned out to be an overflow feature that intentionally leaks so the pressure build up does not destroy the tank or hoses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah the coolant system is under pressure but self bleeds air from the systems to stop problems,

I don't advice this at all but if you where to open slowly then close when the cap on the reservoir the fluid line would rise and start to leak out directly under the reservoir,

Eventually the fluid should cycle through the coolant system and level out again

Only just as examples of the pressure, it shouldn't be so great,

Oh and a PCV had to be changed in the car because it failed aswell and this was the cause of the rocked cover seals to leak

I bought this car in January this year and I have not driven it very much, I have spent an additional €3,000 to fix the problems with the car,

my last car was a 2008 ford focus 1.6Tdci not many mechanics like the car it's a Peugeot engine in them

great car, over 290,000km on the clock had a service twice a year, and stick was running well

The turbo was replaced at 170,000km

New diesels are crap DPFs and too many sensors,

Pure dirt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts