Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had any experience of the cooling fan running on once the engine has stopped. Twice this morning I have come to a stop got out and locked the car and the cooling fan is still going at full speed. I tried starting and stopping the engine again straight away but all this did was slow the fan down, it was still running but at a lower speed that you could only hear if up close to it.

Is this normal?

The engine temperature was showing normal and it wasn't particularly hot outside (it has been hotter recently), which is very strange for Scotland.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes, I have noticed that too, but only 2 times. And it wasn't that hot and as you mention we here in Denmark have also have had a lot hotter weather recently where is wasn't an issue.

It just seems very surprising that a parked car, with the ignition off leaves the fan running at full speed, event though it only have been for 3-5 minutes. (I did not meassure the time, but it seemed like a long time)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Definitely normal, and happens to a lot of cars.

Both my previous Skoda's, the Renault Laguna I had prior to that and my wife's current Mini Cooper D all did it / do it.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Fan on mine also runs after I switched the engine off, once I lock the car it stops.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Definitely normal, a few of my previous cars did it. It's not necessarily connected to the outside temperature - usually, if you manoeuvre your car into parking position for a while, the engine does not get the usual air flow it would get if you were driving at a speed, and that's why it has to engage the fan to cool down.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks folks,

I had a suspicion it was normal and could understand the reason why it would do it but I just thought it was strange that it just started doing it that is all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is normal for turbo engines to have this facility. Some model Volvos also have automatic internal fans operate when the car gets too hot inside even though the car is off and locked. It only works when the battery is good enough not to go flat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My cooling fan has stopped working, no warning, no error messages, just the air con went intermitent i booked it in to the garage to be told its the cooling fan, the engine could of overheated and blown up !!! I think there should of been an engine message......car only 5 months old !

·
Registered
19 Posts
no warning whatsoever and to be honest i didnt notice the guage either.....think i was just lucky that 2 hours spent in slow moving traffic on the M25 didnt have a devasting effect.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I thought I was going mad when my fan kept running after I had locked the car. What puzzled me was I had only driven 10 minutes down the road and air temp was about 18 degrees. Parked straight away, I had to run a few errands and on the third stop it didn't come on. I have experienced this on my xc70 on long hot journeys but this surprised me. If anyone has found that this is actually a fault please can you post. Thanks

·
Registered
382 Posts
Mine did this after a short trip at only 8degrees outside temp. Went on for ages so I started the car again and when I turned off the fan stopped screaming!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Mine did this after a short trip at only 8degrees outside temp. Went on for ages so I started the car again and when I turned off the fan stopped screaming!
When you restarted the car, the coolant pump started running again and this would have lowered the temperature at the location at which the system monitors the temperature for the purpose of deciding whether the fan should be running or not. So what happened was understandable and not abnormal. If you'd not restarted the engine the fan would have kept running until the temperature at the monitoring location was sufficiently reduced for the fan to switch off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cooling fan

Didn't the coolant temperature gauge indicate that the coolant temperature was above normal?
Yes I also have experienced the fan running after switch off,I contacted the dealer who informed me the fan runs on a cycle,when you turn off it may be the fan has just started a cycle,if you start the car again then turn off,the fan may stop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cooling Fan Query

We have had two experiences in the last month on a 2 month old V40 D2. Short journeys, cold weather, parked up, turned off, engine fan goes "mad" and a smell of something being too hot in the engine bay. No temperature gauge so couldn't see a reading. It's as if there is a small coolant circuit that does not open up to a larger one until it reaches a certain temperature and we turn off just before it hits the point. Car goes into the garage next week, Volvo Assist gentleman was called out last time, he thought there might be an air bubble in the system. I would go with the "fan runs on a cycle" if not such a strong smell of hot rubber.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Most of the reports in this thread sound like active DPF regens to me. Short journeys with a diesel engine mean that either your exhaust system isn't getting up to temperature properly, or it isn't staying hot for long enough to clear the DPF passively.

It gets more and more clogged with soot, until the point where the car intervenes and tries to rapidly heat the exhaust to a much higher than normal temperature to begin burning off the soot before the filter gets blocked.

If you interrupt it and stop the engine during this process, you'll notice the fan going mad because it's trying to quickly bring the temperature back down to safer levels. Think: parking on dry grass with an exhaust at 600 degrees C.

The 'hot' smell is also a common side effect of this process, as well as very high fuel consumption, stop-start being unavailable, and some cars get a higher idle too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Ant, this is "new news" and very useful. In your experience should I mention this to the garage or let them come to their own conclusion?

This is my first DPF experience so all information is well received.

Bob

·
Registered
30 Posts
Oh I really hate DPF's, had so many problems in the past (was not a Volvo). The main reason to go back to a Non-Diesel

André

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bob,

Hopefully the dealer should be well aware of this. DPFs have been fitted to just about every diesel car on the market for at least a few years now, and all inherently do the same thing. I've noticed my D3 do this once so far, but the Seat Leon I had beforehand used to do active regens almost fortnightly.

DPFs always contain sensors that measure the soot level, so the garage should be able to see the condition of it. I'd let them come to their own conclusion seeing as they've accepted the car in to investigate it, but based on what you've said I'm confident that this is the cause :)

If you're finding that it does this quite frequently, try to drive in a way that sustains a high exhaust temperature to help it along. I've found that keeping it above 2000rpm for at least 15 minutes on the motorway from time to time should help it a lot, as well as minimising the number of short journeys that can cause the soot to build up in the first place. Diesels really aren't designed for plodding around towns.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts