Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of times my RD D2, (that's not R2D2 btw), cooling fan has stayed active after I've exited (and locked) the car. It's a powerful beastie and can be heard in the house but after 20 minutes I thought I'd better do something. Turning the ignition on (without clutch down) and off again stopped the fan immediately.

Both times have been in temps not exceeding 6 degrees and I don't drive like a loon.

Anyone experience this please?

·
Registered
132 Posts
This was in another post a couple of months ago, cooling fan query, I remember because the same thing has happened to me and I was worried about it. It hasn't happened again though. Check it out.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have had the cooling fan stay on a few times after I've stopped the engine and locked the car.

There's a note in the manual explaining that this is normal behaviour; to have it do it for 20 minutes seems a little excessive though. Perhaps worth asking your dealer about it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cooling Fan

You guys must remember that engines are built to very tight tolerances, as a result will run at the top end of temperature range until the engine beds in a little.
I have often had cars that run the fan for what seems an age.
Providing you have coolant to the required levels with no leaks and all the belts are OK and not slipping don't worry.:thumbup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Happened to me for the first time today - as you mention, switching the engine on and off again seems to reset it. I was also just coming out of a peaceful drive in fairly cool air temperatures.

Will leave it for now, but if it happens again I'll email my dealership to see if they have a comment.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I raised the Fan question when the lovely V was serviced last week and they had a report on this 'issue' from Volvo.

Apparently (and this was mentioned in this forum), the Peugeot/Ford Diesel that the D2 is based on has issues with Carbon build-up that could cause Turbo Failure. Unfortunately this would often damage the engine too and cause both to be replaced.

To combat this the D2 is designed to perform a 'Cleaning Cycle' where the computer allows the engine to run hotter than normal to burn away the carbon deposits. Normally this takes place without the driver noticing but if the engine is stopped mid-cycle the cooling system detects the raised heat levels and runs the cooling fan for approximately 30 mins. Apparently if it detects a drop in the battery output that would possibly prevent the car having the juice to start then it will nullify the cooling fan!

Now, this is either very, very clever programming or I'm being shovelled over with bull! Are there any techies out there that could verify this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I am new to the forum, driving a V40 T4 Polestar in a tropical climate and notice the cooling fan really struggles with this environment. The volvo support says remove any front grille lights, not too helpful, so wondered if there were any modifications out there to add bigger fans or additional cooling fans? Many thanks Roger

·
Registered
501 Posts
The cooling system including pump and fan operation is all ECU controlled. Yours can't be the only car operating in a tropical climate, so my first step would be to ask Volvo if any modifications are required. If there is an ambient external issue they must have a solution. If not, it may be necessary to diagnose an individual issue with your car, i.e. something isn't working as it should.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The cooling system including pump and fan operation is all ECU controlled. Yours can't be the only car operating in a tropical climate, so my first step would be to ask Volvo if any modifications are required. If there is an ambient external issue they must have a solution. If not, it may be necessary to diagnose an individual issue with your car, i.e. something isn't working as it should.
Good tip thanks. I asked the local agency to do a thorough diagnostic as it blew hose recently (car a 2014 with only 60k kms and they thought that was unusual) and they assure me that all functions satis. A lot of v40 and s60 D here, used by one company (60 cars I believe) but not seen many petrol.
More chatting to the agency I think.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Above the cooling radiator there is a plastic cover with two bolts. It is easily to remove.
Under it will see from front to back three radiators - turbo cooler, climate radiator and in back it is the engine radiator. Unluckily, engine radiator is last behind and especially climate radiator reduces fresh and cool air to reach engine radiator.
Between these two radiators there is a small space of 1-2cm. Over time, this space fills up with leaves, dust and all kinds of junk, and this prevents fresh air to pass.
So, check this space and clean it. This definitely will help cooling.

Car Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
752 Posts
As I think it has been said. It's the standard engine DPF regeneration cycle.Happens every 500-600 miles, it will trigger when on a motorway run if it can, you normally won't notice.
If you end the journey early as it's in it's cycle you will know as the fan will be on max.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts