Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice on copying CD's to hard drive.
I've copied from USB to hard drive many times but when I insert a CD and try to copy the "import" icon does not light up ? Yet it does if I insert a USB stick.
I now tried numerous different CD's just in case it is down to copyright ?
Below is the way I copy from USB, but I'm not getting the same option for CD ?
What is meant by "in the normal view" ?

Copying music to the car
Your car has the option to copy music from a disc or a USB memory. Copy music files as follows:
Insert the disc or connect the USB device.
In the normal view for the hard disk drive source, press OK/MENU and select to copy From disc/From USB.
Select what to copy, and then Continue.
Select destination for location of copied music and then Start importing to selected folder.
Importing music from disc/Importing music from USB.
Do not remove the disc/USB memory before the transfer is finished and the Music files imported message is shown.

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
Are you trying to copy from music cds or from music files on a cd?

File formats that can be copied to the hard disc drive
CD-/DVD discs: mp3, wma, aac.
USB: mp3, mp4, wma, aac, m4a, m4b.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there,
Thanks for your reply.
I've just realised that I asked the same question a while ago.
Looking back at that thread and seeing your answer, it seems it's down to the type of format the CD is written in .
I've tried to copy from countless CD's, all without success, so my guess is that there aren't many CD's written in the formatts you mention, at least theres not in my collection.

So going forward I'll just copy from the USB stick .

·
Registered
120 Posts
I wasn't sure I understood exactly what you were trying to do. Music cds are referred to in the manual as cd audio format. Rewritable Cds can also have compressed music files written to them, or even data. So the Volvo player will play: CD audio, mp3, wma, aac, m4a. The last four are compressed formats so more can be put on a cd or dvd. From a USB drive it can play: mp3, mp4, wma, aac, m4a, m4b. I think m4a are audio files while m4b are video. Apologies if you already know all that, it might help others, though the manual also goes into details of compatible sampling rates.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Basically I was trying to copy music from a CD onto the hard drive, which I've done many times using the USB, (putting music from a PC onto the USB and then onto the hard drive in the car.
It says in the manual that we can copy from both USB and CD onto the hard drive, yet I've never succeeded in copying direct from a music CD onto the hard drive ?

If I put a USB drive in the option to "import" from USB lights up, if I insert a CD the option to "import" from CD does not light up.
My guess is that the CD's that I'm trying to copy are not written in the format that allows it to be copied , even though they will actually play, if that makes sense ?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I am no IT geek so noone hammer me if this is a stupid comment.
I wonder whether the CD's you are trying to copy directly in the car are 'protected' versions and the car doesn't have the ability to bypass that. I had that issue a few years ago. I had to RIP them using Windows Media Player on a PC and then transfer to USB to car HDD.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking the same thing Pete but then I remember that on my previous car, a Peugeot RZC I could copy the same CD's to the cars hard drive.
But maybe the Volvo system doesn't allow it like the Peugeot system did ?

·
Registered
88 Posts
This functionality can be disabled by a legal restrictions.
You can bypass this. Try to "download" your "audio CD" on a home computer/laptop, equipped with CD drive to separate file for each song.
How to do that... Try a search "rip audio CD" on youtube for tutorials. Like this one.
And after that, copy all song files to some USB stick. After that you know how to copy it to HDD of the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts