Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some advice.

Noticed at least one (haven't really looked at the others) of my wheels has a corroded wheel weight and it looks awful. I'm also concerned if this starts corroding the wheel itself. Any ideas on what I can do? All wheel balancing etc has been done at the Volvo dealer previously.

Thanks
Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
758 Posts
Dave the wheel weights on my alloys are the original black ones to match the alloy.
I'm guessing perhaps yours are not the original weights, but how they would be corroding is a bit strange because they are lead aren't they ?
Do you mean discolouring or actually rusting ?

I have seen weights being attacked by road salt, they tend to give off a white staining that spreads onto the alloy, not a good look on alloys, especially ones with a black finish.

This might be a bit over the top but you can buy lead oil from a DIY store such as B&Q, it's used for lead flashing on houses, it stops the lead discolouring, perhaps clean the weights off and apply a dab of oil to each weight ?

Just a thought buddy ?

When I give the car a good deep clean I polish the alloys then add a good quality wax, hoping it will add more protection from brake dust and road salt ect.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Most modern wheel weights are secured by adhesive pads so are not in direct metal to metal contact with the alloy of the wheel.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might give that a go, ta! It looks like it's actually rusting but I'll have to have a closer inspection. Might try seeing if some polish will get it off to see if it's just surface discolouration

Sent from my  iPhone

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had a go with a bit of compound and it appears as though it's definitely corrosion not just something sitting on the surface.

I was concerned it may corrode the wheel but as you say with it being stuck with adhesive pads it's unlikely to. It's still an awful sight!

Sent from my  iPhone

·
Registered
85 Posts
I took my last car for a tyre repair the fitter removed the weights using a Stanley knife which damaged the alloy paint on the inside of the wheel.
Any members have any thoughts how to remove the weights without damage to the inside of the wheel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It sure is corrosion on these wheel weights. They where original black to match the rims. Now the surface is so corroded that it almost crumbles, will probably affect balance/weight in the end. So before putting on the winter wheels this year, I cleaned both rims and wheel weights thoroughly. I then masked around weights, did a gentle sanding of the weights surface, and then painted them with two coats of black Hammerite paint. Looks far better black, than rusty brown ;)

rust1.jpg

rust2.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts