Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum as I've just bought for my wife a 2013 V40 D4 with only 35k kms
The only detail I found is that the left headlight has a lot of small craks on its lens. They seem to be superficial, as there is no moist nor dirt inside.
The thing is that right hand lens has nothing on it.
Has anyone experienced anything like this? any idea on how to solve it apart from buying a new headlight?
Check the images attached

thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
548 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
My that is a bit of a pain, looks like the uv coating has been attacked perhaps with a chemical used for degreasing etc some of these hand wash places use some pretty harmful stuff IMO, perhaps a trip back to the dealer may bring some form of replacement / repair if you have not had the car that long. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
My that is a bit of a pain, looks like the uv coating has been attacked perhaps with a chemical used for degreasing etc some of these hand wash places use some pretty harmful stuff IMO, perhaps a trip back to the dealer may bring some form of replacement / repair if you have not had the car that long. :wink2:
Yes, that looks like chemical crazing from something that has attacked the polycarbonate cover. I doubt it will just be on the surface either, so no amount of polishing would remove it. That type of damage usually weakens the stucture of the plastic making it brittle and prone to shattering on impact.

If it is the result of a chemical attack, the scratches are actually stress fractures - the chemical breaks down the polymer chains weakening the structure, and the inbuilt stress that's locked into the plastic from the moulding process (particularly on compund curved shapes like the headlamp cover) will be released, causing the plastic to craze.

Polycarbonate is one of the toughest plastics (much tougher than acrylic) but it is suscecptible to certain chemicals - strong alkalines like ammonia (found in many household cleaning products), amines, esters, ketones and other solvents like aromatic and halogenated hydrocarbons will all attack polycarbonate.

I suspect something stubborn got onto that headlight and someone decided to use a strong solvent or cleaning product to get it off, and that was the result. I build RC models and there were some classic examples of this when people tried to use oven cleaner or paint stripper to remove paint from polycarbonate car body shells - it would get the paint off but weaken the plastic that much it would almost crumble apart.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you everybody...how come i'm the only one?..and just in 1 headlight....
will try a shot with the local importer (i'm in chile)...it will be a long one...as they are know for an awful aftersale service...

·
Registered
612 Posts
Thought I’d bring this thread up again.

Just noticed this has started on the passenger side headlight. I’m guessing I would be able to claim this under warranty? The car isn’t quite 3 years old yet. It’s nowhere near as bad as in the above pictures but is noticeable with the lights on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
thank you everybody...how come i'm the only one?..and just in 1 headlight....
will try a shot with the local importer (i'm in chile)...it will be a long one...as they are know for an awful aftersale service...
Nope mate you are not the only one, i got the same **** on both headlights, my friend with v40 too...

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 R-Design T2
45 Posts
I have seen this happen to motorcycle screens and also instrument displays after coming into contact with brake fluid. I can't image brake fluid getting near the headlamp but possibly some other chemical.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got my 2013 V40 same problem, has anybody try to fix those cracks with headlight renover set?
I send email to Volvo and wait for answer with them, asked is it possible ger warranty repair or something.
Automotive parking light Car Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with all that egb has noted and have always taken additional care of any cleaning of my 67 yr V40T2 LED headlamps because of the stress cracking risk with polycarbonate.
So it is to my surprise that this winter they have begun to show some crazing which is internal where no detergents or surfactants have any route in that I can see.
What alerted me to this was some misting I could see inside the headlamps.
Unlike mo's example the crazing is limited to the internal bottom edge of the headlamp, however I anticipate this will grow with time.
I'll take a photo and post it for your info'

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my v40 2013 with this problem, but smaller cracks (seller told me it was dust on the inside, and easely cleaned..). I dismantled the headlights and spent hours with electric tools and a refurbish kit (sandpapers, polish, coating). No luck, it even got worse after a while. Only fix is to replace them.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I got my 2013 V40 same problem, has anybody try to fix those cracks with headlight renover set?
I send email to Volvo and wait for answer with them, asked is it possible ger warranty repair or something.
View attachment 17885
One of mine has gone the same as that picture a little. Very odd.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts