Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I recently got delivery of my (almost) new MY15 V40 D2. The car is fantastic, but there is a very annoying creak/clicking sound coming from the passenger dash.

It can be located between the air vent and the front pillar. It clicks every time I go over road imperfections. I do a lot of motorway mileage and when driving over stretches with bad surface it creaks all the time.

I can reproduce the creak by applying pressure to the suspected area. I also think that it becomes worse when the temperature is lower.

Has anybody else experienced a similar creak? I think that the assembly around that area is particularly poor as I can squeeze the front pillar cover and it creaks like there is no tomorrow.

Thanks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yes. Many people have experienced creaking, groaning any many other noises from their V40.

Fetch it back to the dealer who will have a pop at fixing it. My dealer put some fuzzy tape behind a couple of bits of trim which cured most of the noises but I still have to shim the door card with a folded up bit of paper.

·
Registered
395 Posts
but I still have to shim the door card with a folded up bit of paper.
That would REALLY piss me off! I have a rattle/buzz behind the speedo but it has not been back to the dealer for this. It only started after the 12500 service and is intermittent. It tends to start when on the rough surfaced Lincolnshire roads.

Reactions: Arb

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you open the door, and then apply pressure on the side of the dash, does this also give the noise?
Yes it does!

I will book the car for the dealer to have a look next week. Will keep you posted. This is driving me nuts! I used to have an S40 03 model and even after 10 years it didn't give me the slightest rattle/creak/click...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the car to the dealer yesterday. They seem to think that the issue is the passenger air vent. They booked me in and I will visit them in 2 week's time for the fix. Fingers crossed that they will actually fix it...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Latest update on this for anybody interested: The dealer took the car in for a day and they managed to fix my creaking dash. They said they removed the air vent, cleaned up inside and refitted it. So far no clicks from the passenger side, but I now have a very intermittent clicking on the drivers side behind the dials. Since it's very intermittent I will not do anything yet.

The dealer also looked at my door rattle, they removed the door panels and checked if everything is fitted properly. This didn't solve it though...Interesting fact is that they were not aware of the Technical Bulletin on the door lock mechanism. Does it apply to MY15 or only on earlier models?

·
Registered
729 Posts
also had a horrible almost clattering noise in my D4, until I noticed the clasp from the fire extinguisher was loose. >Fixed that, noise gone :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
I get this too. I've emptied the glove box and had the wife drive so that I can press, squeeze or hold everywhere, (the car that is not the Mrs), and see where the creaking originates. No luck so far.

Generally the old 'turn up the radio' trick works well though!

I also get the creaking back-end when reversing off the drive. It's all these little idiosyncrasies that make you adore the Lovely V!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've done 16,000 miles in my V40 and whilst I like the styling of the car my initial excitement at owning it has long gone. I think the build quality is poor, I have a creaking centre console and an annoying buzz/rattle from the drivers door. I've been disappointed with the service I get from my dealer so have decided to trade it in for a Qashqai instead. I've always been a fan of Volvo (had a V60) before this but I don't think they are a premium brand anymore. Everyone else is catching up on the design and quality stakes!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hello all
I was hoping I'd never post in such thread...
As I was driving tonight (cold night around 2 Celsius) I got some irritating cracking noise from the dash!
Not sure the exact spot.
I will try track it down next time, though I really hope this won't be necessary!!!

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you find it please let me know. Mine's had that since day one!

Turning the radio volume up works well though!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My V40 D2 with 6000km has a few noises coming from various parts. From the mirror housing and sensors when the music is too loud. From the passenger door when the music is too loud. And a creaking noise from the dash I don't know where.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.