Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 3 month old d2 es that does not have cruise control. Can this be fitted as an after market item?. Is it expensive?

·
Super Moderator
459 Posts
Yorky v40 said:
Just bought a 3 month old d2 es that does not have cruise control. Can this be fitted as an after market item?. Is it expensive?
I am quite sure that this can be retrofitted.
Look on the volvocars site, there is some information, or, for your convenience, go straight to this link:

http://accessories.volvocars.com/AccessoriesWeb/Accessories.mvc/en-GB/UK/V40(13-)/2013/D2/Manual/R.H.D/ShowDocument/VCC-446403

·
Super Moderator
459 Posts
Yorky v40 said:
Thanks raytint. Just been quoted £669 by volvo..
Incredibly, shamelessly expensive, I could say. I will check the price in Greece for you, in euros of course, so that you will get an idea. Prices are usually similar, but this "669" looks TOO high! Let me ask, is this for the plain cruise control, or for the adaptive (although I think adaptive can not be retrofitted).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Again thanks I would be interested to know the price outside the uk and yes it is just the plain cruise control... Thanks

·
Super Moderator
459 Posts
According to the accessories pricelist I got before configuring the car, the price for cruise control is 285 euros, which is smthng like 240 pounds. I will ask for the price to retrofit the item and will let you know. There is not an issue of warranty void, as we are talking about dealers fit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
im looking to get it done too, I was told to fit the switch and take car to a Volvo dealer to get down load done
can any of you guys tell me if that is true and also how do I fit the switch it looks like I will have to remove the airbag (yikes)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Retro fitment of any accessory is more expensive.

The price of £669 sounds about right, I bought my car (ex-demo) 13 months ago and fitting cruise was a condition of purchase, at that time I was shown the invoice issued from service to sales totalling £595.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone aware if it's possible to retro-fit Adaptive Cruise, rain sensors, or auto retract mirrors? My dealer in Greece said it's not possible which was disappointing. I will also need to ask other dealers, but I wonder if it's just a case of lack of know-how, for such services in Greece. I would have thought it is be possible to make any upgrade if you paid enough.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have just purchased the new Cruise switch from a scrapped car.
I play to fit it and then get the dealer to do the software upgrade (Waiting on costs, expect around £299).

I don't see how replacing the switch can invalidate a warranty... If the engine blows up under warranty, and they claim it is now invalid, they would lose a court case I am sure.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Anyone aware if it's possible to retro-fit Adaptive Cruise, rain sensors, or auto retract mirrors? My dealer in Greece said it's not possible which was disappointing. I will also need to ask other dealers, but I wonder if it's just a case of lack of know-how, for such services in Greece. I would have thought it is be possible to make any upgrade if you paid enough.
It depends - since the introduction of CANbus electrical systems, fitting options that the car was not built with has become harder.

In Volvo's case, what options can be retrofitted are listed on their accessories website. If it's not on there, then it can't be done. Even some of the ones on there (like Park Assist Camera, Rear Park Assist, Park Assist Pilot or DAB Radio Upgrade) are dependent on if the car was specified to be built with the relevant 'prep' option at the factory.

These options are reliant on both hardware and software that was fitted when the car was built. In the case of hardware, it's usually different versions of the wiring loom used, or extra sections that are fitted during the build which would require too much disassembly to retrofit at the dealers (e.g. the 'PAC prep' option involves fitting a different tailgate loom with the extra wiring for the camera which terminates in a connector in the left-hand C pillar).

In the case of software, the CEM is loaded at the factory with the software modules for the options specified for the car, and the configuration is stored in Volvo's database against the VIN. In the case of a 'prep' option, the module is loaded but not enabled. If the owner then wants that option retrofitted, the installation kit includes the extra hardware, and the software download is usually just a small config file that enables the software module in the CEM, which will then use the new hardware.

VIDA can be used to enable or update software modules already in the CEM, and it does have the ability to download software modules (it has to be able to do this if you need a replacement CEM, as they are supplied blank). This is governed the configuration for the car which is held on Volvo's database (which VIDA connects to) against the car's VIN, and the modules or config files have to be downloaded from the Volvo server.

However, it looks like Volvo does not allow software modules the car was not specified with to be downloaded from their server. They used to (the T5 forums have lots of old threads about people removing option parts from scrapped cars such as powered seats and getting the software for them downloaded to their car), but their policy seems to have changed around the time Volvo replaced the VADIS/VCT2000 diagnostic system with VIDA/DICE.

In short, if the option is not on the accessories list and/or the car did not have the 'prep' option specifed for it then it's not likely to be able to be retrofitted.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Buzby that is a very comprehensive explanation and it seems that you have some insider knowledge!
Do you know how to find out what was prepped for a car. For example i bought a car from stock which is very poorly spec'd and would like to know what options i can retrofit. I have already had rear parking sensors fitted (at an eye-watering cost).

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Buzby that is a very comprehensive explanation and it seems that you have some insider knowledge!
Do you know how to find out what was prepped for a car. For example i bought a car from stock which is very poorly spec'd and would like to know what options i can retrofit. I have already had rear parking sensors fitted (at an eye-watering cost).
I don't unfortunately. Mine was also poorly-specced as built and I was interested in the Rear Park Assist and DAB Radio. I was lucky enough to have the correct loom fitted for the Rear Park Assist, but as my car was not specified with the 'DAB Prep' option it could not be upgraded (both of these were 'prep' options on MY13 cars - MY14-on cars all have the correct looms for both options fitted).

I had a look for the DAB loom down the inside of the LH boot side trim with a camera and couldn't see anything. I joined another UK Volvo forum and there is a member there who works in the service department of a dealer - I PMed him with my VIN and he was kind enough to check if 'DAB Prep' had been specified (it hadn't, which is the case for most MY13 cars).

Checking with Volvo's server via the VIN is the only way to confirm what options were specfied at build time and what can therefore be retrofitted. Any dealer should be able to do the check for you.

Regarding Cruise Control, apart from the switch module on the steering wheel, all the other components of the system are part of the base software and hardware build of all cars I think ('fly by wire' throttles did away with the need for separate cruise control actuators to be fitted). I think the software update for Cruise Control is an upgrade of the base CEM software that can therefore be applied to any car.

The only thing you need to be wary of is that you have the correct switch module for the wheel, as there are 2 different types - one with buttons for speed limiter and cruise, and one with just the buttons for cruise. If you already have the Speed Limiter function you need the one with both sets of buttons, otherwise you need the one with just the cruise buttons.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a V40 with just the speed limiter and ive found where i can buy the new switch from. Is it worth getting the VIDA/DICE myself or see if someone who has an idea what theyre doing have a go? Is it easy to replace the switch on the wheel? Ive found the instructions, which dont seem to hard, but i dont wanna mess it up.

The garage said you cant change it, all other people say it can....

Thanks

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have a V40 with just the speed limiter and ive found where i can buy the new switch from. Is it worth getting the VIDA/DICE myself or see if someone who has an idea what theyre doing have a go? Is it easy to replace the switch on the wheel? Ive found the instructions, which dont seem to hard, but i dont wanna mess it up.

Thanks
I ordered the correct switch and installed it with no issues. 10 minute job.

However, to activate it a dealer has to buy a software pack from volvo, and then use Dice to install to the car.

Volvo want £330 + vat for the pack, the dealer wants £45 to load..

For the time being, I did not bother to complete the job.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

Thanks
As chiptivo has said above, only a dealer or an independent with a full VIDA subscription can do software downloads. The files for software downloads have to be bought from Volvo and VIDA then downloads them from Volvo's server to load onto the car.

The crack for the versions of VIDA that come with the clone DICE units only has local logins. They can never contact or log in on the Volvo server, so they can't do downloads. When you apply for a VIDA subscription Volvo create a login for you on their server that you use to login to VIDA as well. Even if the hackers got hold of the account details of a genuine installation Volvo would be able to spot it being used by different PCs all round the world pretty easily.

The hacked VIDA installation allows you to look at parts lists, repair and disassembly/assembly instructions, some limited fault finding and if you get the separate EWD DVD you can look at the wiring diagrams. If you also have a clone DICE you can read diagnostic codes and run some tests. However, as it can't login to the Volvo server it can't read the car's history or configuration from the database (or write anything back to it), look at the TSB database, order parts or do software downloads.

A real DICE also has a CANBus recorder/analyser function and bluetooth connectivity, neither of which are present in the clones (they only have USB to connect to the PC, and no SD Card slot to store the CANBus data).

One thing to remember if you want to play with a VIDA/DICE clone is that the car logs every time DICE connects to it (and a geniune VIDA system also logs this in the car's history on Volvo's database), so when you take it to the dealer for a service they can see a standalone VIDA has been connected.. Probably best to leave it until after the warranty expires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks guys. Looks like I'll work some overtime to get Volvo to sort it....expensive.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I wonder if Volvo change the prices for software packs from time to time. I still can't believe to activate the basic cruise software is £330 + vat, and then £45 for the garage to load it.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I doubt it, other than getting more expensive. I have seen price list from 2009 for software downloads and the Cruise Control application for an S40 was around £270, and the dealer then puts their markup on it. The price to load it is probably for half an hour's time for a mechanic and the VIDA terminal

1 - 20 of 20 Posts