Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just wondering, with the custom POIs you can add to the Nav system... Can you set an audible alert? Or do they just show on-screen?

I don't have a suitable .gpx file to test with yet

Hope someone can help :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just wondering, with the custom POIs you can add to the Nav system... Can you set an audible alert? Or do they just show on-screen?
Hi azibux1,

Yes, there is a few audible alerts that can be selected. 3 different tones to choose from if I recall correctly I will check tomorrow. But you can only set one tone for all POIs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi azibux1,

Yes, there is a few audible alerts that can be selected. 3 different tones to choose from if I recall correctly I will check tomorrow. But you can only set one tone for all POIs.
Okay that's great thanks!

The plan was to use it for marking fixed speed cameras like a tomtom satnav would... Would that work? I mean that I would only want it to beep for those, wouldn't want it to beep every time I go past any built in poi points like petrol stations haha

·
Registered
202 Posts
So I checked again and there are 3 alert sounds that can be assigned to the custom POIs and you can select differing sounds for each, so in my case I had set a differing alert for mobile speed cams, static speed cams and traffic light cams but I switched them off some time back as I found it got irritating. The default POIs don't alert, not sure you can even set an alert on them, haven't checked that.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I get my POI from pocketgps.co.uk

The shops etc need translating from a csv to a gpx but you can get free software todo this

I also subscribe to their camera location, they can be down loaded as gpx files.

I think I use sound 3 (sounds like a camera shutter) for fixed, traffic light and specs but I do not bother with a sound for mobiles as it would be going off all the time and most of the time there isn't a camera there

·
Registered
202 Posts
Unfortunately the speed camera alerts do not sense direction of travel so you get alerts going off for cameras on both sides of the road! Slightly annoying but better than nothing I guess!
Indeed! One of the reasons why I disabled them unless I'm on unfamiliar routes.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Very few systems will deferentiate between if the camera is watching in your or the opposite direction.

I would however like to be able to adjust the distance/time between the warning and getting to the POI

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'd really like to put camera POIs in the car. Is it easy?

Could do with a map update as well, as I've found a couple of roads where the road layout has changed. Is it horrifically expensive? Did send off the registration card from the document pack which promised "2 free updates" but haven't heard back.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Very few systems will deferentiate between if the camera is watching in your or the opposite direction.

I would however like to be able to adjust the distance/time between the warning and getting to the POI
My old TomTom unit did both of these things but sadly the Volvo doesn't :thumbdown:
I still wouldn't go back to a non-integrated setup though.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'd really like to put camera POIs in the car. Is it easy?

Could do with a map update as well, as I've found a couple of roads where the road layout has changed. Is it horrifically expensive? Did send off the registration card from the document pack which promised "2 free updates" but haven't heard back.
The updates come in July from memory:thumbup:

To upload the poi's get a USB drive down load them from pocketgps, stick the drive in the socket in the car, then follow the options in the sat nav menus, pm me your email address and I will send you my latest copy of the cash machine sites for you to try out.

·
Registered
116 Posts

The Sat Nav App on My Android mobile does and cost peanuts:exclamation:

Unfortunately the Volvo Nav system simply alerts when approaching POI's and has nothing more to offer in the Speed Camera department (although there are probably legal reasons for that as speed cameras are not part of the original POI database here in the UK)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Only just saw these responses (I thought I was supposed to get email updates when a reply was posted)

Thanks for checking it out cueba11!! Sounds like it does a good job then, better than nothing.

I was looking at pocketgpsworld.com... Seems to be where you get redirected from pocketgps.co.uk anyway

Think I'll sign up there and download them :D

Thanks all :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
And asking the operator for a non local number.
I've had Volvos since I retired, and my local Peugeot garage were over pushy when I was considering changing my 120k P405 for a new car. The local Volvo dealer was, and is, much better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.