Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without going down the tow bar route, what's the best way to occasionally carry cycles around on your v40?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Without going down the tow bar route, what's the best way to occasionally carry cycles around on your v40?
Volvo sell a range of bicycle carriers that go on the roof. Thule also advertises a rear tailgate carrier, but I have not seen a picture of one fitted to a V40 yet.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Been comparing the Volvo / Thule kit. The roof kit for Thule looks very similar to Volvo's own kit. I am too too keen on the rear carriers. With the roof kit, i dont want to leave it on permanent so as to compromise the fuel efficiency. The Thule stuff looks like it can be quickly installed and taken off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi, I have got Volvo roof bars and fork mounted carriers, they are very good. Perhaps wouldn't have chosen fork mounted but the dealer had ordered them for someone who didn't pick them up so he gave me 2 for £70 which tuned out to be a real bargain when I got them home because he gave me the wheel carriers also! It turns out ver good though because they are locked to the car via the forks an are held so rigidly to the car that it gives me far more confidence going down the motorway. Also found driving there wasn't that much noise and you can get in the boot after installing the bikes which really annoyed me with a rear carrier that I had on my old car!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can I be cheeky and ask how much the Volvo roof bars cost you? I have not found a price. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
From memory looking at the My14 Specs and Prices brochure they run out at £185.00. Pricing the Thule equivelent at Halfords and the like comes to about £195.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No problem Kev, the bars are listed as Load Carriers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah they were £185, well worth it as they are a perfect fit and very easy to install.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
The Volvo roof carriers are from Thule. I also had a look at them, and decided to get me a fixed tow bar. Don't want to spoil the look of the car with stuff on my roof the whole time, and struggling to mount the bikes on the roof and perhaps scratch the car.

I have my dad's 3 bike carrier, so will use that.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your help folks. Going to get the bars myself. Easy enough to get a bike on and off. Used them before on a previous car. They are ugly mind you, but can fitted, taken on and off within a few minutes. They will not be a permanent feature.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks for your help folks. Going to get the bars myself. Easy enough to get a bike on and off. Used them before on a previous car. They are ugly mind you, but can fitted, taken on and off within a few minutes. They will not be a permanent feature.
Did you purchase the bars Kev?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I never did. I got hung up about the bars making the car not look as good. I ended up figuring out how to get one bike in the back with the rear seats down.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Kev i got the Volvo roof bars and negotiated down to £135. I am a member of Volvo Owners Club and get discount on all spares.
I also bought the Thule bike carrier for about £70 ish trawling the net. You have to be aware that Thule do a steel one and an aluminium one which is much lighter.
I have done many miles with the bike on the roof and no probs. No wind noise which was a bonus. The bars and the carrier all come with locks so you leave the car and bike with a certain amount of confidence.
I will sometimes leave the carrier on if i am using it again in a few weeks or will take the carrier off and leave the bars on for longer.
As said on here it is all Thule kit. I also have a top box by Thule but cannot get both bike and top box on. I wish i had gone for the slimmer one to enable this combo.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Old Croc. I made my mind up not to get the cycle carrier some time ago now. :) I am in my final year with the current car now so I don't think I will reverse my decision at this point in time. Maybe if I get another V40, but at this point I am undecided?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts