Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have an issue with the D2 1.6 engine. If I perform a cold start in warmer weather (around 20 Degrees C and up) the car has a rough idle and blue smoke is emitted from the exhaust. The car starts to rev smoothly after around five minutes of driving. I use my V40 on a mix of urban driving and some long distances. The vehicle has covered around 40k miles. The oil level as measured with the dipstick is on the max line which is concerning considering that it was half full when it was last serviced six months ago.

It is currently in the garage for diagnostics. Unfortunately, the garage has rather unhelpfully stated that there were no error codes reported and implied that there was, therefore, no issue. The oil and filter have been changed on my request. I need to diagnose the problem further as I am worried that my fuel is diluting my oil and that the engine knocks could cause damage.

I suspect that the issue might be a leaking injector but I would welcome any comments. I can have the injectors sent for testing but this is likely to cost £150 and will put the car out of action for around three days. Is this likely to be a compression issue instead? I have a video of the problem and I shall see if I can figure out a way of posting it.

Any comments would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,

FuhBluh

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If anyone is interested, I have just put an 'off the shelf' injector cleaner in with a full tank of diesel on top and gone for a long drive. Will report back if there are any results.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had my cold start issues investigated by a main dealer last week. Same symptoms, smoke and rough idling for about 10 seconds.
As has been the case of most on this forum, the results showed nothing wrong! No error codes. They did give me some print outs of graphs which show that it is due for a re-gen.
It cost me £12 for a loan car but no charge for the check .. maybe because I have taken out the extended waranty? I wonder if it will cost more next year now?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Exatly the same problem with mine v40 d2.... if the outside temperatura is colder than 12ºC or higher than 24ºC the car start without any shaking or smoke... strange problem with no solution... :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
There at least two other topics on this that have been going on for a long time:

https://www.volvov40club.com/threads/pale-blue-smoke-on-start-up-rough-idle.25010/

·
Registered
407 Posts
It seems to be a very common issue. Ours has done this for years on warm days, though normally only with an occasional puff of white smoke. It seems to be linked to the car not waiting for the glow plugs to be warm or even not using them at all. Over the years no Volvo dealership I've been to wants to know about the problem. Using an off the shelf diesel additive has definitely made a difference (and the car does 150 miles a day commuting so not generally used for short runs).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I have an issue with the D2 1.6 engine. If I perform a cold start in warmer weather (around 20 Degrees C and up) the car has a rough idle and blue smoke is emitted from the exhaust. The car starts to rev smoothly after around five minutes of driving. I use my V40 on a mix of urban driving and some long distances. The vehicle has covered around 40k miles. The oil level as measured with the dipstick is on the max line which is concerning considering that it was half full when it was last serviced six months ago.

It is currently in the garage for diagnostics. Unfortunately, the garage has rather unhelpfully stated that there were no error codes reported and implied that there was, therefore, no issue. The oil and filter have been changed on my request. I need to diagnose the problem further as I am worried that my fuel is diluting my oil and that the engine knocks could cause damage.

I suspect that the issue might be a leaking injector but I would welcome any comments. I can have the injectors sent for testing but this is likely to cost £150 and will put the car out of action for around three days. Is this likely to be a compression issue instead? I have a video of the problem and I shall see if I can figure out a way of posting it.

Any comments would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,

FuhBluh
woow iuh ybnuy vuh jd

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I should have posted an update a long time ago but I had rather forgotten about this. Using a fuel additive did not yield any miracles but nor did it do any visible harm. The only 'solution' I can find is to turn off the A/C when cold starting under warm conditions as this yields a smoother start.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts