Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone own any D2 auto?

Would really like an inside view on how the D2 / auto gear box combination performs.

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Its not an option here, not sure about other countries.

·
Registered
202 Posts
In the UK the D2 Auto is pretty new (available to dealers as an option only since late April). I don't think anyone who may have ordered one will have taken delivery yet. Not seen any online road tests yet either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did not know it was such a recent option.

Anyone else with an auto diesel then who could shed some light on the diesel / auto combi?

Thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah, it was only made available on the new 14 period V40 which could only be ordered from mid-April I believe, it is unlikely to be in public hands until the first orders hit the forecourts :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've had a test drive of the D3 Auto. It was a combination of city roads, national speed limit countryside roads and a bit of motorway.

I loved the auto gearbox - it's not one of the new dual clutch gearboxes, but it was very very smooth, very responsive, and didn't feel like it was losing out on any speed or power.

It felt really suited to the D3 engine - the shift times are fast, and it always felt smooth. It's got 6 gears, so wasn't over revving. I also liked that when you shift it into the semi-automatic mode, it automatically dropped a gear as it treated it like a 'Sports Mode' and assumes that you want to go fast.

Downside was lower fuel economy, and the higher tax bracket

·
Registered
221 Posts
D2 Auto

My dealer offered us a drive ina S60 D2 with powershift to get a feel for the engine/box combo. Its not exactly the same, but is the closest we could get.

We then drove the V40 D3 R-Design Gearshift, and it was impressive.

We ended up ordering a V40 D2 R-Design Powershift. Delivery September ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
just picked up d2 1.6 power shift power blue cross country lux motability only had car a week but delighted following a stroke & having to retake drivng test first passed in 1978 finding all controls very light and easy to use getting approx 65mpg Excellent choice rear visability poor should have spec camera or rear parking sensors,Sure you will love it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I realise this o/p is almost two years old but no one seems to have put a definitive reply to it! I have run a D2 power drive since October 2013 and find it excellent. Needless to say, don't expect anything in first gear except to pull away from a standstill (cos all you'll get is revs and noise), but once into second and through to sixth you can be assured of a fluid performance, albeit not in the D3/D4 league! It can be quite a sedate drive BUT if you need that extra bit of power, when you shift into Sport mode it's surprising what is available to you. Personal choice, having been driving over 40yrs with a manual box my next car will certainly be another auto. With the Powershift you have in effect an auto and/or a manual. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks Carrob.

I ordered my V40 D2 power drive without test driving it! I have driven many VWs and Audis, and I find the DSG excellent. Smooth and quick changes without any hickups.
How about consumption? How different is it, against the manual version?

·
Registered
21 Posts
@ Kristianstad regarding mpg, my last brim to brim fill-up last week returned roughly 57mpg, which when considering all my miles are rural B roads plus a once or twice weekly A road trip of 30 miles each way, l don't consider the figure to be too bad. :)
On the Powershift, I should've been a bit clearer on 1st gear, it pulls away fine but too much gas and its screaming for second gear to pop up! Take off steadily and your soon whipping through the box.

Regards, Rob.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks Rob!
I was a bit worried that the Powergear would affect consumption significantly. But 57Mpg (and any other similar figure) does not seem bad at all, despite being ages below the consumption promised by Volvo..!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,

I have mine for a month and half now.
Although not as good as lots of other auto boxes it is ok for most of the driving instances.
Having said that this engine is much better with a manual gearbox.
Having worked for Hertz I have had all car makes/ models with this engine and dif gearboxes as well as other engines with similar auto or manual.
DSG is def the best by far.
Volvo auto for the D2 is a "poor" version of an auto box and it shows.
Second still goes too far and noisy but it will all depends on your foot. Learn to control it and you might find it sufficient.
As there are too many roundbouts in the UK I decided for the auto (to save work!) but def its not the perfect solution.
Still ok for most of the time.
I am getting 5.6l/ 100 kms consumption in open road which i think its quite good for the auto version.
Hope it helps.
FS

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks Filmarc...
I just hope that it is not very clanky and noisy and I do not regret ordering it...
I will post my comments here, in a couple of weeks time -hopefully-
What about urban driving consumption?

·
Registered
229 Posts
The 8sp geartronic isn't the most majestic or smooth box I've ever driven. Sport mode especially. Jabbing the throttle selects a too low gear and revs the **** of it and then it changes again. Motorway isn't as bad. Using manual mode is slow to react especially when. The car isn't up to temperature. I guess Volvo not really known for their auto boxes! Saying that I'd still have a auto over a manual these days regardless...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Perhaps I'm not as experienced with auto gearboxes, only having driven one more (Renault), but I found the Powershift more than adequate during my 2 test drives.

Yes, the change from first to second could be smoother and having a heavy foot doesn't help, but from then on it's cruising very nicely -no noise or noticeable lag. My second drive was intentionally during rush hour with bad traffic and I didn't have any problem at all -minus the start/stop which confused me at times, but that's irrelevant.

Overall pretty good for my standards and nothing I wouldn't be able to get used to easily, slightly adjusting some of my driving habits. Manual on the other hand, I found it a bit jerky.

Of course, distance makes the heart grow fonder and since my car is still miles away, I may be sugar coating everything about it! :)
Will see what happens when it finally gets here.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hahah Erin, I liked the "sugar coating"...!
(On the other hand, I liked the manual gearbox and found it precise and with proper sense...Go figure..!)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Having had several Auto gearboxed cars the worst was a Ford Mondeo with a 3 speed **** for gearbox. My previuous Golf 1,4 TSI had the 7 speed DSG and comparing that to this Volvo Powershift, In my mind the DSG was smoother, minus the dependability problems that many and I had and have with it. It had one disadvantage however that i did not like and that was always trying to have the biggest possible gear on, if i put it in sport it rewed too high for normal driving. This powershift is better in that sense. All in all i like this more even if it is not as smooth. There are no noise from gear change at all on any modern automatic car.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have done 20k miles with my D2 Powershift now. I like it but it has flaws - most noticeably its is tardy when you need the power instantly such as when pulling in to a gap in traffic, roundabouts etc. the only way to overcome this is to hold the footbrake with left foot whilst accelerating and then just let the brake go to launch. Been caught quite a few times cutting up others trying to take a gap.
Other than it being slow to respond i have come to like it. I can sometimes get better consumption using the sport mode in manual but it is hard work!
Ave consumption in 20k = 54 mpg. In winter, however, i am getting about 50mpg per tankful. I only use shell - the expensive one! I think this is cleaner fuel and reduces the car's need to regen the dpf so hopefully i will reap the gains there in the future..
All in all Powershift is okay on this 1600 cc. It would not be acceptable if you went for one of the bigger engines and i understand it is not available on them anyway so Volvo got this right.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts