Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from Germany in the V40- drove all the way from Hamburg to Fife, via Dover in 1 sitting and the car was brilliant, if a little lacking in oomph on the autobahns. One problem I noticed there,which is better some days and worse on others, is that it runs very rough after the first start of the day- feels like its down on a cylinder and cuts out for a microsecond, and for the first 100 yards it kangaroos on a light throttle. Just wondered if this has been noticed by anyone else? Temps were about 20-30 degrees c.

I've also lost my front towing eye cover...:-/ Do these come painted or will I have to spray it?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm glad it's not only mine. I've got in the habit of allowing 10 seconds of light revving to 'smooth things out' before pulling away in the morning. After that it's as sweet as a nut.

I lost the cover on my last car (Toyota) and I wasn't too upset at £15 for the snap-in piece of plastic . . . . . . but annoyed that's it's supplied bare and they wanted another £24 to spray to colour. Unfrotunately you have no choice :s

Reactions: Tiff

·
Registered
395 Posts
No problem with the cold start on my D2. I have just had my first service and software upgrade which has made the idle just a tiny bit rough. However, on the plus side the update has done something with the fuelling and there is noticeably more oomph. Also some noticeable changes in the powershift - also for the better.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
£36.85 for the cover and an aerosol. Not the end of the world,but annoying as it just disappeared!

My V40 has done nearly 10k miles now, and due for a service soon.Hopefully it will be ironed out then. I've done the same trip in a £250 Mercedes, a £450 Alfa 145 and a £350 MGF and never had any problems that had me worrying about breakdown cover and getting home.

Trip door to door on the way there- at the end of the trip and 2800 odd miles it was 60.0 MPG

Local fuel prices. The first time I've been in a Diesel so a bit of a saving.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have noticed that on mine.. I thought it was misfiring slightly.. but definitely rough on startup

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just back from Germany in the V40- drove all the way from Hamburg to Fife, via Dover in 1 sitting and the car was brilliant, if a little lacking in oomph on the autobahns. One problem I noticed there,which is better some days and worse on others, is that it runs very rough after the first start of the day- feels like its down on a cylinder and cuts out for a microsecond, and for the first 100 yards it kangaroos on a light throttle. Just wondered if this has been noticed by anyone else? Temps were about 20-30 degrees c.

I've also lost my front towing eye cover...:-/ Do these come painted or will I have to spray it?
Hi,
I am experiencing something very similar. See my reply in another thread.
http://www.volvov40club.com/forums/...istant-engine-power-stop-start.html#post66562

If you get any feedback from your Volvo dealer, I would really appreciate to hear about it.
Thanks.

Regards from Denmark

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,
I am experiencing something very similar. See my reply in another thread.
http://www.volvov40club.com/forums/...istant-engine-power-stop-start.html#post66562

If you get any feedback from your Volvo dealer, I would really appreciate to hear about it.
Thanks.

Regards from Denmark
Looks like an identical issue -I will let you know what happens. I'm a mechanic and have access to various diagnostic systems. I plugged it in today and the car is showing no faults,which I find odd,given how badly it runs from cold. I've never come across this issue before with this engine in any other make. I can't get involved in any more investigation as the car is less than a year old and under warranty.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Just done 1500mls on hols touring in England and car ran sweet as a nut except for first 2-3mls on each cold start. Was quite spluttery when first started. Interested to hear if there is an issue.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just done 1500mls on hols touring in England and car ran sweet as a nut except for first 2-3mls on each cold start. Was quite spluttery when first started. Interested to hear if there is an issue.
Who is your dealership and are you due a visit? What was your fuel consumption over the 1500 miles as I expected quite a bit better during some of the very gentle driving I was doing,and am sure it has dropped since the issue started

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm glad it's not only mine. I've got in the habit of allowing 10 seconds of light revving to 'smooth things out' before pulling away in the morning. After that it's as sweet as a nut.

I lost the cover on my last car (Toyota) and I wasn't too upset at £15 for the snap-in piece of plastic . . . . . . but annoyed that's it's supplied bare and they wanted another £24 to spray to colour. Unfrotunately you have no choice :s
Thanks for the tip about revving the engine when cold, this does seem to help.
I have had this problem with my D2 V50 since the last service in April when the engine software was updated - it was ok before, so this problem seems to be something to do with that.
I assume if enough complaints are made, Volvo will alter the software to cure the problem. It would be nice to know if and when! Meanwhile, back to the revving.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm kinda old fashioned and don't like giving any revs after a cold start, probably makes no difference due to the mega thin oil that these run, but at the end of the day, it's a new car and shouldn't need anything to run smoothly after starting. My 25 year old Mercedes Diesel would run perfectly from a cold start at -15... I've sent a booking request for a service and check through My Volvo, so will see what arises.

Can we have a name check of anyone who is having the same issue (on the D2 only?)

1.Tiff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys,

I seem to be having the same problem with the cold start issue as everyone else. Lumpy, Spluttering, Irratic seem like good words to describ it.

It's only around 3 months old and has been into Volvo (Derby) twice now.

First they said that there was some moisture in the tank when they 'dipped' it and asked if I usually filled up at a curtain fuel station. They changed the fuel filter and installed a new software update but no change.

Second time around, they just installed another software update, but again, this didn't cure the problem and still no change.

I have just booked it in for a third time on the 4th August (it's the only time I can have a courtesy car) and this time they need the car for three days.

I leave my house early so don't think i would be very popular with the neighbours if I started 'revving' the engine at that time in the morning.

Would be nice to see if there is any fix soon and I will keep you guys posted on my progress.

Daz.

Reactions: Tiff

·
Registered
382 Posts
13,000 miles and never a cold start issue. Maybe it isn't every D2. Apart from the obligatory accelerator 'dip' on startup I never rev the engine.

Like most diesel engines the D2 is a little noisier when cold.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have had this problem for a while now on my D2 reported it here many months ago. Now been into dealers at Welywn Garden City 3 times for up to 4 days. In again as we speak. Same symptoms as others and on a really bad day blue smoke and sounds like an old tractor till for a few mins. Must say my courtesy car is a V40 D2 CC with the new engine, absolutely fantastic engine smooth, powerful and very quiet. Shame I did not wait 6 months to get new car.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.