Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I am proud owner of the D2 Elite model. ( I went for optional 18'' Rims too)
However my Urban driving is sitting at 7.3 and I cant drive any slower to be honest. Feathering throttle constantly in ECO mode, following all the rules how to drive economically.

I have covered 260 Km so far does it improve?

Any help would help thanks!

·
Registered
630 Posts
gorgonzola said:
I have covered 260 Km so far does it improve?
You can expect it to improve slightly over the first 15,000 km. However, you won't get a realistic figure by calculating it over a distance as short as 260 km. You need to record all the fuel put in over a reasonably long period, say at least a month, and then calculate the average over that period and compare it with the quoted "combined" figure. Even then you'll find that your calculated figure will vary significantly from one month to another depending on the weather, your journeys, and your driving style.

And treat the trip computer as just a toy, for amusement purposes only!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm yes...i was hoping for the Diesel to loosen up quite a bit over say 10 000 km. Well i was hoping....

My driving style is very forgiving truth be told. In the right gear I try to keep the eco bar as high as I possibly can I see morning traffic does not help in the least but longish trips do.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Depending upon use of climate control, heated seats, wipers, lights, audio system etc etc your economy will be lower. Remember the figures are calculated in a controlled environment and are meant as a guide when comparing different vehicles/models.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Pegasus829 said:
............. the figures are calculated in a controlled environment and are meant as a guide when comparing different vehicles/models.
Absolutely. You've hit the nail on the head. However, I've always found that my car's long-term overall average is as good as the official combined figure. And that's without consciously trying to drive economically.

·
446 Posts
Yellowbelly said:
Pegasus829 said:
............. the figures are calculated in a controlled environment and are meant as a guide when comparing different vehicles/models.
Absolutely. You've hit the nail on the head. However, I've always found that my car's long-term overall average is as good as the official combined figure. And that's without consciously trying to drive economically.
I agree with the last statement. Less than 10% deviance between computer reading and official figure (combined).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Done 1135 Km so far...

I am feathering the living daylights out of my car. I cant possibly go slower to be perfectly honest.

City driving. The car reads average consumption of 7.3. No aircon as of the last 15 days. The previous argument of the music system being on is hideous because while the car is in neutral and coasting the car reads 0l/100 so that is negated.

Is there something the dealer can do to improve this. My friend owns a 120d and he gets a measly 5.5 l per 100 I get 7.3 in an 1.6 l engine opposed to a 2.0 I was hoping I could get tank per month. The quoted mixed figure is 4.5l per 100 I am getting 7.3 no way really close....

Any thoughts...

·
Registered
719 Posts
Just for reference I am getting around 5.8l/100kms in my D3, with only 2000 miles on the clock. I am driving reasonably carefully.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wizzy said:
Just for reference I am getting around 5.8l/100kms in my D3, with only 2000 miles on the clock. I am driving reasonably carefully.
Jesus H so the D2 is like the biggest mistake ....what now

·
Registered
11 Posts
My average with D2 over 13000km is 4.5l.
D2, D3, D4's are NOT made to drive all the time in cities.
Check tyre pressure (should be eco) and try some driving on highways...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My average with D2 over 13000km is 4.5l. ?????

What the **** am I driving here?

This is noway near that driving motorways....whats the point if I dont...my urban has open stretches of road thought...I will have to go the VOLVO dealer to have a look at this...highly suspicious this...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am seeing a big difference between the figures on the computers and the tank to tank actual. Even the on dash and graph results are different despite being reset at the same. The car says it is getting 62-65mpg (4.3-4.5l/100km) when I reset, my tank to tank average over 3000 miles is 53mpg (5.3l/100km).

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi gorgonzola
I've also done around 13,000 km in my D2 now, my overall average is 5.2l/100km and it's improving with time. I've found the computer is generally within 3-5% accuracy of the actual fuel economy. Like some of the other owners on here I'm tracking my real world fuel economy on Fuelly.

http://www.fuelly.com/dashboard/

I'm regularly in heavy traffic which is not good for the D2 fuel economy, often 1 to 1.5hrs a day which brings my average right down. I've found in traffic 'start stop' works really well for me, I use it as often as I can where I know I'm going to be stopped for more than 15 seconds, other than this keep the revs very low, often you can move with the traffic on tick over without actually using the throttle. I've found the D2 is best on open road 50-80km/h where I can regularly get to less than 4l/100km, it's also very happy on congested motorways as long as the traffic keeps moving above 50km/h. I find the heater is a big drain on power when the engine (and cabin) is cold, so sometimes I'll turn the heater off for the first mile of driving in London if I know the traffic is heavy, never had a problem with the entertainment system or the head lights being a similar drain on power.
If you are doing all of those things and you're still not getting better fuel economy then I think you should get the car back to the dealers to get it checked over.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Coming from a Prius, I know how frustrating it can be, looking at the trip computer & thinking, why the **** is my fuel consumption so poor.

It really is down to the type of journey your doing. Small journeys of a few miles, without the enging warming up (typically dropping kids off at school) gets me around 40 mpg (in winter). Heavy start stop town driving can be anywhere from 30 mpg upwards. Once you get above the magic 40 or 50 mph, thats when you notice huge strides in the fuel consumption of 60mpg plus. Morotwars between 70-80 mph gets me around 55 mpg.

Enjoy driving the car & try not to become to obsessed with the trip computer - its the way to sleepless nights ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm getting the same economy from my D4 auto over the first 600km. Mixture of stop/start city driving & urban freeway trips. Very happy with that result.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been driving my D2 conservatively over the first 600 miles or so and have 61mpg recorded on my trip computer. I am also tracking on fuel tank fill ups through fuelly.com and got 62mpg from that. My daily driving to work will be 100 miles on motorway so I'm happy with that consumption - lets hope I dont get bored with 65mph cruise control.

·
Registered
630 Posts
London_2012 said:
Hi gorgonzola
I've also done around 13,000 km in my D2 now, my overall average is 5.2l/100km and it's improving with time. I've found the computer is generally within 3-5% accuracy of the actual fuel economy. Like some of the other owners on here I'm tracking my real world fuel economy on Fuelly.

http://www.fuelly.com/dashboard/

I'm regularly in heavy traffic which is not good for the D2 fuel economy, often 1 to 1.5hrs a day which brings my average right down. I've found in traffic 'start stop' works really well for me, I use it as often as I can where I know I'm going to be stopped for more than 15 seconds, ...............
The thing which concerns me about Start-Stop is the increased wear on the starter motor and the flywheel gear ring. Does the fuel saving totally compensate for this?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
19 Participants
Pedro Leal
Volvo V40 Forums
If you've ever wondered what modifications or upgrades you can do to a Volvo V40, this is the right owners club for you.
Full Forum Listing