• D4

Votes: 31 55.4%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys,

Its my first post here and I have to say that you are doing a really good job :)

Im interested to lease a new v40 but I haven't decide yet between D2 or D4. In the greek market the price difference is around 5000€ for the decent Momentum version.

My question is the following, should I go for the D2 with lots of extra options or I should follow the heart and choose the D4 for the driving experience, with just a NAV extra?

The fuel consumption with the new D4 drive-e engine is almost the same with D2 but the torque is double.

Waiting your suggestions :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hello v40ckor

You are not mentioning the tax burden of the d4 engine
The Greek tax legislation is harsh on anything bigger than 1600cc

The new drive-e engines seem really promising. Delivering such power with such low consumption sounds undoubtly excellent. I would worry that they are really new, meaning that ideally I would like to have them on the road for a couple of years. Volvo is highly reliable but again most cars have issues in their early years..

Nevertheless, if I could afford the extra 5k and the tax burden was not an issue for my wallet, I reckon I would go for the drive-e D4 rather than a more luxury D2 version.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
DefinitelyV40

Thanks for your answer, Im thinking about D4 because as I mentioned I will lease the car and not buy it, so I dont have to pay extra taxes, insurance costs etc.

The fact that the engine is new is something to have in mind, but don't think will be a big issue. I haven't test drive D4 yet, but from the videos I have seen looks like reaaaally powerful than the D2, which is great & reliable, but hasn't got the extra spice when you want to "play" :D

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
To me, more power is always better. Here we don't get the D4, unless you buy a CC, but you can polestar the D3 to a D4.

Reactions: Yellowbelly

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm in the UK, recently ordered my V40. Looking at the stats before, I had decided on a D4, but they only had D2 and D3 to test drive. I tried them both, but decided on the D2 which was a touch cheaper, more economical, and smoother. As much as I'd like the extra power, I decided to think about things like tax, insurance, fuel consumption etc.

I'll have this for 3 or 4 years and then by then I'll probably upgrade to a D4!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have tested the D2 as a rental car for a couple of days, and I tested the (old) 5-pot D4 at the dealership before I ordered my new car. They didn´t have the new 4-pot D4 yet.

The D2 is fine. It works well for everyday use. You will adapt to it´s performance and plan overtaking manouvers accordingly.
But if you testdrive the D4, you will forget all about the D2. The torque is just amazing. It feels lika a V8! I tested the D4 with an auto ´box, and in my mind, it adds to the premium feel of the car.

I also believe that the real world fuel consumption for the D2 and the new D4 will be similar. That´s why I opted for the D4 with auto ´box in my new car.

Reactions: jifen

·
Registered
156 Posts
That makes sense. Coming from the car I have atm, even the D2 had enough power for me. I'm a master of planning all manoeuvres in my 50 HP car I have at the moment. My only worry with the new D4 was that I wouldn't get the car for a longer period, which would cause me issues as my current car is being retired before the MOT!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had the same dilemma with my company car choice. I had to decide between an R Design D4 and R Design D2 Lux. I would ideally have liked a D4 Lux but the budget wouldn't stretch that far. My head said D2 Lux with 13% tax but my heart went for the D4 with 190bhp. No contest really....

·
Registered
382 Posts
I cannot vote having driven the D2 it's a fine engine with enough performance for day to day use.
I went for a D4 as I commute to Germany or further 2 or 3 times a year so will have opportunity it's to stretch it's legs and enjoy/use the extra ponies. Otherwise I'd more than happily settle for a D2.
The deals on a standard D2 rdesign are hard to ignore.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The d2 is ok for the commute but not a 'drivers' motor
Very wrong Denn1s. If you want to drive it quick then you can, only first is a little tardy. Have surprised many a beamer driver (short version - prat) on the up ramp of the A1 at WGC.

On the other hand 71mpg for the journey home can't really be argued with. I also suspect that when this temporary lull in the inevitable rise in fuel prices comes to an end and drivers expect to buy plus 60mpg cars, those guzzlers may well be on the shelf whilst the D2's will merrily be snapped up and reflect better trade-in values.

I know, as I have disagreed, that I should paste a 'smilie' here but what the ****, I'll live dangerously!

Reactions: AKD47

·
Registered
382 Posts
Strange isn't it?

Now everyone thinks I used the 'f' word when I actually said the opposite of heaven!

Reactions: AKD47

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had the choice between power or economy, and given that I do 1500 miles a month average, I decided on economy. I'm glad to hear there is still power in the D2. I tried the D3 and that had a lot of power, but the D2 I never really got to stretch.

I have about 5 weeks to go before I pick it up... :(

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I used to thump it up and down the A1m to work at 80 to 90 mph. Decided to go economy and chose the D2. I now have a saving of about £1300 per year on diesel costs and the journey takes me an extra 5 minutes. It was a no brainer for me. Each to their own though.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I used to thump it up and down the A1m to work at 80 to 90 mph. Decided to go economy and chose the D2. I now have a saving of about £1300 per year on diesel costs and the journey takes me an extra 5 minutes. It was a no brainer for me. Each to their own though.
Can you not still do 80-90 in the D2? I have a fiat punto from 2004, which I'm guessing is about 40 BHP, and I can get it upto 100 without too much effort!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Can you not still do 80-90 in the D2? I have a fiat punto from 2004, which I'm guessing is about 40 BHP, and I can get it upto 100 without too much effort!
hehehehe. I thought you were joking for a moment. :) With the wind behind you, maybe. ;) lol. The V40 will go way past 100mph top speed. :)

However, my point was that previously I was racing to work and back each day, and purposely got a D2 to go economy for a change. So for the duration of my time with a V40, I am going a little slower to work and back but reaping vast savings on diesel costs.

Voila:

82.9 by 2010kev, on Flickr

A load of crap about turbo failure and damage to engine along with other tripe usually follows such a post. lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Help with Engine Choice.

Hi Guys

New member to forum here. And makes great reading!
And also new to the ‘Volvo World’ too after being a Fiat/Golf and more recently a Nissan owner.

I’m placing my order in the next two weeks, after one more final test drive this Sunday on R-Design Lux Nav trim in both D2 and D4. I need some help in choosing!

What you guys reckon is best for mostly town driving/commuting, but with occasional weekend country (Worcestershire) open A road and trips up the motorway to Birmingham on occasion? I’m averaging out at about 600 miles per month presently. Have my current car only nine months from new, and today I’ve just clocked up 5400 miles! LoL.

In my V40, I’m getting all the trimmings! Jeeee, my bank manager will hate me! But got carried away with the options and my add-ons selected below! ☺

Colour: Ice White, with add-ons of:
Xenium Pack
Rear Parking Camera
Dark Tinted (rear/side) Windows
Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror
Flexible Load Boot Floor

I know you all love your V40s and I’ve read through the thread with interest. I guess what I hoping you can answer now, after seeming to have driven your cars a good length of time. Which engine is the better suited for everyday use? I’m no ‘Little Boy Racer’ but can throw down on a country road every now and again lol.

Upon reading motoring websites, the D2 has almost identical BHp and NM torque as my 2014 new model Nissan Qashqai. And it never feels needy of power, but it’s no rocket either. But it is a 1.5, compared to the Volvo.

Any suggestions? Also... Have I gone overboard on the options? Do I need all that? Or is the car in standard R-design spec. good enough?

Thanks! ☺
Dom.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dom.

For your specific needs I think a D2 will be perfectly adequate. I've had mine for 2 years and whilst it's not the quickest off the mark, it easily keeps pace with everything on A roads/motorways etc (the highest speed recorded on my Garmin was 119mph, obviously not in the UK).

As for your selected options, you might like to consider adding rear park assist. Rear vision is not one of the V40's strengths, and when reversing on a dark, wet winter's night you need all the help available. The one extra I regret not having is a rear camera.

Reactions: Dominic Joseph

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hi there Dom
having had a v40 d2 cc with rear park assist it really is the thing im really going to miss when our replacement v40 r d2 lux arrives next week, the privacy glass was in some ways a mistake on the cc as it made our black car look like a van as its just to dark a tint to my mind, and no chrome window surrounds to brake the colour up, but would probably look ok on the ice white which is the colour we have coming, but it was a stock car so no choice of extras other than the heated windscreen and front seats its coming with, which is a good add-on to the winter illumination pack already fitted to the lux,
I find the d2 powershift quite ok for normal driving and it gives a laid back sense of mind, on the motorway it will keep up with the flow should you want, but it will also show a good turn of speed on joining from a slip road, but as for shear kick in the back acceleration from a standing start forget it, I suppose that is were the d4 comes in, not having driven one I would not know, and at my age have no need to catapult my self in front of the traffic light grid,
what ever you go for its a personal choice and yours to enjoy :smile2:

Reactions: Dominic Joseph
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.