Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am glad to join the V40 members'club.
I am waiting for my new V40 D2 115ps to arrive!

The D2 (1.6 diesel) engine specifications refer to 270nm torque with 15nm additional available in overboost. Anyone knows how this works ? When does it kick in and how long does it last ?

Also I'd appreciate D2 owners' sharing their experience with me ? Anyone has a link with acceleration tests ? I am more concerned in 60-100 or 80-120 in 3rd-4rth-5th rather than 0-100 (km/h)

Regards from Athens, Greece
Dimitris

·
Registered
21 Posts
@DefinitelyV40,I have a D2 CC Lux and cos I'm getting old and lazy went for the Powershift box. Even so,only yesterday I put it into Sport mode and took it to the red through all the gears and was pleasantly surprised at what the "little 1.6 diesel " was capable of.

i

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yep, I can't disagree with any of these comments. I quite enjoy the performance balance of the D2 engine. I shouldn't worry about figures etc...you'll be pleasantly surprised

Reactions: worm59

·
Registered
273 Posts
@DefinatelyV40...they're just lots of numbers, what do REALLY need to know as from where I sit, Greek roads are no better than British. 5mph in a queue is still 5mph and 70 mph is still the speed limit! I can assure you that a D2 will keep up with a D3 so, what is the niggle?

Reactions: worm59

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello DarrenCC.

I know you are right. I just like to explore every detail in what i do or buy...it is in my character :)
I think v40 is one of the best cars on the road right now and I fell very lucky I could afford buying one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello DefinitelyV40, welcome to the club. Nice to see another Greek buying the V40.

As for the D2 engine, it's just adequate to move the heavy car. I am afraid that you will be disappointed if you have any "sportiness" requirements and you will have to get used to the way a diesel engine performs. If all you care about is economy and moving from one place to another, you made the best choice ...

·
Registered
382 Posts
UnHaCkAbLe;56849 says that "As for the D2 engine, it's just adequate to move the heavy car"

This fact is plain wrong imho. My D2, so I presume every D2 V40 can perform very well indeed, once out of first the 'kick' is noticeable and many a passenger has said that they didn't realise I had a 'sports' car!

Having said that, if you wish to get 60+ MPG - as I do every journey to and from work these days then forget the heavy right foot. It's damned hard work concentrating on keeping the revs down and the braking light.

I'd have to say that the V40 D2 is a car for all occasions and a winner through and through. A sound investment for your hard earned I'd say.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hello guys
I am enjoying having this "debate" with you, as more opinions and experiences are shared.

I decided to go for the v40 d2 as I need a safe, modern, good to look at, economical and reliable hatchback.
I think that the v40 satisfies the above criteria.
Regarding the D2 performance, my priorities are moving economical to and from work and enjoying a weekend road trip, overtaking trucks or slow-movers, fast and safe.
The ride quality in the v40 is also incomparable!
What do u think?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello guys
I am enjoying having this "debate" with you, as more opinions and experiences are shared.

I decided to go for the v40 d2 as I need a safe, modern, good to look at, economical and reliable hatchback.
I think that the v40 satisfies the above criteria.
Regarding the D2 performance, my priorities are moving economical to and from work and enjoying a weekend road trip, overtaking trucks or slow-movers, fast and safe.
The ride quality in the v40 is also incomparable!
What do u think?
cool, i bought mine for the same reasons...cheers.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My father has a D2 ES and before buying my V40 I decided to try all the different engines to find out which suited me best.
I really like the D2 but do find it's a bit sluggish off the line or if you let the revs drop too far, once moving and through the gears it's fine.
Surprisingly I found the same trait applies to the D3 and D4 too? In a nutshell I found all the diesels need to be kept above 1750RPM.

Basically that's why I tried a T3 and was so impressed I bought one.
To me the T3 offers an excellent compromise between performance and economy, so far I have averaged 45-49MPG, but when required it has the ability to gain speed swiftly- making for safe and easy overtaking on single-carriageway roads.

As I only drive 5-800 miles a year, maximising economy is not a primary concern for me, if I was covering in-excess of 12000 miles per annum I'd have bought a D2.

Reactions: UnHaCkAbLe

·
Registered
18 Posts
D2 Acceleration

I have a D2 and get a surprisingly good acceleration from it. This is my first diesel engine car and I am not disappointed. I previously had a Renault Megane Coupe 198 2L so I was a bit worried that I would miss that acceleration but I am still happy with the D2 performance. I am currently getting over 60 MPG whereas the Megane was 29 MPG. :thumbup:

·
Registered
395 Posts
I find the acceleration from standing is not too bad but overtaking from, say 50mph, is pretty nerve-racking. I have the powershift and always slip it into Sport for overtakes but still have to have a loooong straight road ahead before I try the overtake.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I chose a T3 for exactly the same reason as you darrenT3.

I'm very surprised how few petrol V40's there are around. Obviously many diesels are driven by high mileage drivers or on company schemes. But for me MPG isn't everything and I look at a car as an overall package (performance, drivability, economy, refinement & comfort etc)

I actually got interested in the V40 as I was given a D3 as a hire car in France last year. Although impressed, I decided to test drive a petrol back home and that sealed it for me (I ordered mine on the spot!)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Petrol or diesel was one of my dilemmas at first, as well.
The new diesel technology (economical, clean and better performing engines) and petrol prices left me with little doubt at the end.
The D3 and D4 engines were out of the question for me, as they are over taxed( in Greece anything bigger than 1.600cc is taxed as luxury good...)
I also think that the T2-T4 engines are also Ford engines and I have heard that their average MPG is much higher than the official figures (I can't say if this is truth for sure).

At the moment petrol costs 1.65€/litre (or 2.06£/litre or 9.38£/gallon if my calculations are correct !!!) whereas diesel is priced 18% cheaper in Greece.

So the D2 seemed logical to me.
According to reviews it is a reliable frugal and balanced engine. It might not have impressive numbers from stop ( like 0-100km/h) but it is supposed to move the v40 fast through the gears ( 50-80 and (80-120km/h).
I hope it satisfies my expectations.
Only a month left before I get behind the wheel of my new V40 !

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm also surprised how few petrol V40's there are about?

Especially considering the economy?

The 150hp T3 achieves 53.3 combined MPG, that's exactly the same result as the Audi A3 TFSI 122hp which is almost a second slower to 60!

But Volvo sells few T3's while Audi sells thousands of 122's ???

Having driven both I know which is the most exciting :cool:

DefinitelyV40- you will not be disappointed with your choice the D2 is a sound engine :thumbup:
Here in the UK diesel is 3% more expensive than petrol!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think that as usual the quoted book 53 mpg is a tad optimistic for the T3! I've had mine for 9 months and realistically for a mix of town/motorway driving 42-43 mpg is my average. If I slowed down a tad
on motorways I'd probably get it up to 45 mpg but I've never driven purely with economy in mind and I'm not starting now! Either way, these are good figures for a zippy 150bhp petrol engine (my previous SAAB with only a slightly more powerful engine achieved only around 35mpg)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ive have just moved from a 1.6 diesel Volvo C30 R Design to a V40 d2 R Design and have to say even after week of the V40 its noticeably quicker, mainly due I think to the 6th gear instead of the 5 gears on the C30. presently getting 63.1mpg which is excellent as the engine is still tight for quite a while yet.

I think its the old dilemma of speed verses economy, you cant have both, yet with the D2 both are very acceptable from what is after all a much improved and more refined 1.6 unit

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.