Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after a month of deliberating between an Audi A3, Merc A Class and the Volvo V40, I finally decided upon the Volvo :)

I've gone with a D2 R Design Lux. Along with tinted rear windows, premium sound package, reversing camera, PCC, Auto rear dimming light and Volvo on call.

Now the problem I am having now is I live in the states for half the year and just realized how much I use the heated seats in my car here. So I asked the dealer if it was possible to add heated seats on to the order and he said yes,

BUT I have to take the winter package with heated windscreen. And I wouldn't of thought anything of it, except he said he gets headaches from the windscreen because there are tiny wires in the screen that are almost invisible but not quite. I also did a quick internet search and found that quite a few people complain of similar issues.

So I have two questions, does anyone know if it possible to just order the car with heated seats like you can in other EU countries. And can people just comment on their views about the heated windscreen.

:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got heated windscreen in current car (Mini Countryman) and never bothered me. Ordered Winter Pack in V40 as I wanted both windscreen, having seen how useful it is, and the heated seats.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the winter illumination pack (winter pack plus bendy Xenons etc).

I really cannot see how the windscreen filaments could give anyone a headache. They do cause fractional scattering of oncoming headlamps at night but no more than if the inside of your screen was a bit dirty for example. They are pretty much invisible in daylight. My car gets parked outside at night sometimes and we live in an exposed rural location. The heated screen is utterly brilliant at quickly clearing frost, I'd choose it again. Incidentally the heated seats are good. Use them on level 3 at your peril though-they would be fine to keep your takeaway warm on the passenger seat though!

Bruce

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Spike,

Firstly, welcome to the forum!

I don't think heated front seats was a separate option when I ordered my V40 here in the UK.

The only time I notice the heated front windscreen is when driving at night; there is a slight distortion in the oncoming headlights, but you soon get used to that.

Having owned my V40 for all of 8 weeks I'm very happy with the car. I'm sure you've made the right choice.

Sent from my Android mobile using Tapatalk 2.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi Spike
Welcome to the forum.
Interested in the comments around the heated front windscreen, my V40 isn't fitted with it, but the demonstrator I had back in July did, I recall the filaments were quite fine in the glass. I didn't really notice it, it certainly wasn't as conspicuous as my son's Ford Focus heated front windscreen.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Congratulations on your new car!

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but I have heated seats, but I did not know that (perhaps) my car also has a heated windscreen - how do you turn it on?

---------
Edit: I just searched in the manual, and it seems you have to press the 'Max defroster' button twice (like double-click I presume) to activate it. I haven't tried that, so far I have only used the airconditioner to heat the windscreen. I have to remember that, for the next drive!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi there

Having owned cars with and without heated front screens and I drive a lot of miles (45,000 per year!) in varying light conditions, I can honestly say that vision problems due to the filaments has never even occurred to me.

The car I have ordered has the SE Lux Winter Pack because I wanted the heated windscreen as I get fed up of scraping the screen on frosty mornings at 6.00AM:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Never had issues (or headaches) with the front windscreen heating. It's a real advantage on those icy days - haven't scraped since !

It activates automatically below certain temperatures - press twice to get the electric heating together with the windscreen air vent heating together (though not sure under what conditions you'd want both)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow. Thank you to everyone for the amazing answers and feedback.

Unfortunately the car has already gone into fixed build/production so I couldn't alter the spec ...... cold seats for me :p but the good news is that the delivery date has been bumped forward by a WHOLE MONTH :) so I am looking to pick the car up in the third week of January instead of Feb :) I will be sure to post some photos once I take delivery.

On a different note, how many people (in the UK) signed up to take the Supaguard protection pack for the interior/exterior or what are peoples' view on the product.

I wish you all a Happy Christmas :) *<<=

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm unconvinced by Supaguard on previous vehicles for exteriors as I tend to put a really good quality sealant wax on myself. I did not think it was worth it. I do think it is pretty good inside but I suspect a can of Scotchguard would do the same. I'd do this if I had the pale blond interior but not with black. My dealer did not even offer Supagaurd with my V40.

bruce

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi folks,

I'm nervous about. I do not know whether I should order the heated windscreen or not. Oncoming light at night has a different effect (according to some people) .. here are some pictures. I'm just undecided. Photos are not mine:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think those pics are misleading as the photographer has set the focus on the screen. When driving your focus is at infinity, ie on the traffic so the effect of the 'grid' is lessened.

I noticed mine the first few trips but don't anymore.

For me it would come down to how often your car is parked outside in the winter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Got my V40 now. 3 days old. Been out a few times at night (let's face it - no daylight in UK currently!) and I have not been able to see any distortion

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the Winter Pack and would add the following comments:-
  • The screen heater lines are no problem at all. Ut took my wife ages to find then when she looked and they are not noticable when driving. I had the screen heater on my old Focus and never had an issue.
  • The washer jest only fire every 5th screen wash and then only with the light actually on. This is to save water.
  • The seat heating is VERY effective. One touch on the control is like last night's curry. I have taken to using 2 touches for the mid setting and 2 again for off.
Overall, I think this is a worthy upgrade.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Starfighter said:
I have the Winter Pack and would add the following comments:-
  • The screen heater lines are no problem at all. Ut took my wife ages to find then when she looked and they are not noticable when driving. I had the screen heater on my old Focus and never had an issue.
Overall, I think this is a worthy upgrade.

Thanks for reply --- And at night ?

Best wishes
Nico

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Nico,

My 2 cents are, I wasn't sure if I wanted the heated windscreen or not, then decided I wanted them but was too late to amend the order. I am not hugely disappointed but if you have the chance I would take it, mainly for the heated seats.

·
Registered
630 Posts
spike_g said:
And can people just comment on their views about the heated windscreen.

I've had three Fords with electrically heated windscreens, covering a total of 16 years ownership, and I wouldn't want another car which didn't have one. When I was looking at what my next car would be, the ability to have an electrically heated windscreen as an option on a V40 was one of the main attractions. You only see the wires if you deliberately focus your eyes on the windscreen. During normal driving you're looking through the windscreen and you don't notice the wires. The benefits of having an electrically heated windscreen are immense. Demisting the inside takes a matter of seconds, and defrosting the outside is a doddle ~ no more standing outside in the cold labouriously scraping the frost away, and no more need for a can of de-icer. As far as I'm concerned electrically heated windscreens are one of the best features ever invented.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had 3 company Fords with a heated screen, and then I went to a Vauxhall without one. On a cold frosty morning, boy did I miss that heated screen. For me it's a no-brainer. I was delighted, when looking for a change of car recently, to find a year old V40 with both a heated screen and heated seats.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Got the heated windscreen, and its quite impossible to see even at night with cars coming towards you
Its defrosting speed has disappointed me though. The back window de-ices in a minute or 2. Front takes way longer. Scratching is still the way to go.
The system is pretty good at avoiding fogging up though..

·
Registered
314 Posts
I am quite sensitive to things in my vision and find the V40 heated screen no problem at all I found one in a Ford fiesta a pain as you sit much closer to it so I found my eyes focused on the wires not past them but as I have said no problem in the volvo, only wish we got the heated washer jets that ford fit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts